Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

Amazon now Charging Tax!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 779 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2014 5:55:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2014 7:41:40 AM PST
Again I ask....How much is enough, no matter where you reside? How much is fair? Or maybe a better question is .... how much right? Must almost everything be taxed? You would think that the folks that are buying things would help job growth. Ironically, it isn't working that way. If there are others in the world continuing to work for less then the jobs will go that route so, we have the high welfare. We have a surplus of unskilled labor and so does the rest of the world but, unfortunately, they are willing to work for less. If this problem is to be addressed we need access HERE for more affordable continued education and people that are motivated to attend it. That will help create jobs that can't be out-sourced. Forcing employers to pay more (like the demand for 15 an hour at McDonald's) is not fixing the problem. Welfare is a piece of the problem. I seen a figure here that stated that 80 cents of every dollar earmarked for welfare is swallowed by the administration of it. There's a place to start. We can't be more efficient than that.......REALLY? A practical and tangible gauge of how big government has grown is when there is a government holiday (that the rest of the non-government folks have to work) the roads here go from a standstill to free-flowing during the normal morning and evening commute times. I'm sure almost everyone in the country experiences the same. It may sound like a right wing rant, I don't mean it as such. I'm frustrated with the Right just as much. The people have to change, ethics needs a larger role and maybe some "common sense"(although becoming more uncommon) thinking would help. People want things and are trying to get someone else to pay for it(both sides).

Posted on Dec 29, 2014 7:41:36 AM PST
Cris0911 says:
I understand that Amazon is now charging taxes on most item, but movie rental?
I guess I should just keep renting in VUDU. No tax!

Posted on Dec 29, 2014 2:30:09 AM PST
MikeT says:
Interesting article using TPPF numbers:
http://dailycaller.com/2014/01/21/california-has-grown-welfare-while-texas-has-grown-jobs-and-soft-tyranny-is-to-blame/

" California's 1.2 million recipients of traditional welfare comprised about 28 percent of the nation's total welfare caseload in a state with 12 percent of the nation's population. In 2013, California had a full third of America's welfare cases, 33 percent. "

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2014 10:02:43 PM PST
You need to get your facts straight......everybody else in the country also has to contend with all those same taxes (some lower, some higher than California I might add) BUT according to the ultra-conservative Texas Public Policy Foundation California has 1.2 million recipients on traditional welfare (and this number is somewhat inflated because the TPPF is trying to lure CA residents to TX on the pretext that the welfare stats are excessive. If there was 11 million CA residents on welfare there the state would have gone bankrupt long ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2014 9:34:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2014 9:48:39 PM PST
I'm in MN as well. Taxes are ridiculous here. All these people worried about EVERYONE ELSE paying and paying and paying the state and Uncle Sam. We ALREADY pay income taxes to both, property taxes, local and state sales taxes, license fees, vehicle taxes, gas taxes, phone taxes, and how many more other taxes! No one bother's to question where this cash goes. I believe we need to pay enough to fund the "utilities" of running the country but, HOW MUCH IS ENOUGH? No one telling me to just keep handing it over has been able to answer that question, so far. "You need to pay your fair share"......I'm all for that but, what's fair?.....what's enough? I am not a member or fan of either one of these out-of-touch legacy, special interest controlled, political parties. Ok, done ranting.

Posted on Dec 28, 2014 9:04:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2014 9:45:03 PM PST
Collecting tax AND creeping up prices are making Amazon way less attractive as it used to be. I just found an exact same drill bit set at Home Depot ( not "on sale" ) for $5 less than Amazon is selling it for....then add the tax? It was cheaper WITH local taxes here than Amazon's base price(before the taxes). Amazon used to be an automatic shopping place for me, not anymore. And unless you order a quite a bit, the Amazon Prime is starting to also lose its luster, especially with the price hike that has gone through. I hope Amazon realizes how this will effect their business. Why bother worrying about kissing Uncle Sam's rear end when your market share recedes and you wont have to worry about collecting taxes(or profits)....you wont have the sales to tax!!!!! I used to be a huge fan of Amazon but, all good things must come to end apparently. People with gravitate to the lowest price, That's what USED TO make Amazon great.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2014 1:56:08 AM PST
Hiyall says:
Well, here in Commiefornia, we also have a 9% salesa tax AND a state income tax AND I have a $500 a month property tax. All that goes to support 11,000,000 people on welfare ...I kid you not.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2014 1:57:13 PM PST
Jen M. says:
You'll most likely pay sales tax since Amazon just opened up warehouse location(s) in FL. If you buy from a private seller on Amazon (not directly through Amazon themselves) and they ship from any of the other 49 states, you will probably not be taxed. But if you buy through Amazon fulfillment or Amazon warehouse deals, then you'll pay 7 cents on every dollar = .70 on a $10 purchase or $7 on a $100 purchase. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2014 5:55:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2014 6:46:16 AM PST
bfore13 says:
They pay the same SS tax as everybody else, 6.2%. For Medicare, people who make more than $250k pay more than average earners, 2.35% vs. 1.45%.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2014 3:17:25 AM PST
MikeT says:
" TIM says: How much of Medicare/aid and Social Security do they pay? "

Who? Amazon? How is this related to sales tax?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2014 9:10:49 PM PST
TIM says:
How much of Medicare/aid and Social Security do they pay?

Posted on Nov 15, 2014 1:44:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2014 1:45:27 AM PST
MikeT says:
Nothing fishy about it. It is a very common practice for large companies to not make information about their divisions/distribution centers readily available to the general public, particularly to a stranger on the phone. Many will have absolutely no such info available, or limit information to just a street address. Such information may not even be available to the CSR you spoke too, even if that CSR wanted to give you such info.

They do this to cut down on calls or mailings or "drop ins" of sales people, job seekers, contractors, suppliers, and yes.... customers! They want that all handled through corporate or online (job applications).

There is a manufacturing company near me with about 2,600 employees spread over 8 large industrial buildings (that I know of) all in one town. Only their corporate headquarters has a business name on the building. All other buildings/divisions only have a street address listed in front of the building, and none of these divisions are listed anywhere by any source.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2014 8:41:40 AM PST
bfore13 says:
You owe the tax whether or not Amazon collects it from you. Be happy they're saving you paperwork!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2014 8:30:23 AM PST
Big B says:
Fulfillment Centers
http://www.amazonfulfillmentcareers.com/amazon-fulfillment/locations/
Sales Tax
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=468512

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2014 6:23:48 AM PST
vinester says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2014 7:02:54 PM PST
BigMamou says:
That would be true IF there was such a thing as god!

Posted on Nov 9, 2014 5:14:07 PM PST
BallyHoo says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2014 3:41:15 PM PST
God says:
Waaah, waaah, waaah...entitlement...waaah!

Posted on Nov 9, 2014 12:32:37 PM PST
Big B says:

Posted on Nov 9, 2014 12:10:12 PM PST
xx001a45 says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2014 12:31:35 PM PST
MI says:
I have been buying from Amazon for years now and I live in Minnesota. Just like you I was shocked about two weeks ago when I noticed Amazon is adding taxes to the price of the items. I have purchased many items from Amazon and at this point I do not know if I want to continue. I blame the state of Minnesota.

Posted on Oct 12, 2014 4:23:08 PM PDT
Watching says:
I live in PA and they already charge us for our internet purchases. Now, since I pretty much only use Amazon, and not often, I can enter 0 in my state taxes owed for internet purchases since they are already collected. I'm not sure if they are charging the correct rate for our state, but will check. I have been honest about claiming online purchases and now it will be easier. But I try to purchase in person when I can and will continue to do so.

Posted on Sep 5, 2014 1:37:36 PM PDT
Dalone59 says:
You guys who live in the USA are still better off. I live in Trinidad, so now I have to pay the US tax plus local tax (VAT) plus duty when my goods arrive in Trinidad. Sucks!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2014 4:46:07 AM PDT
Big B says:
In my experience I've shipped things in the past to states that had sales tax even when mine didn't and was charged tax. At the same time I've shipped things to places that don't have tax when mine did charge tax and wasn't charged tax. So my best guess is you will be charged tax based on the shipping destination.

Posted on Aug 18, 2014 8:21:36 AM PDT
Raul says:
I'm not from US. I'll travel to Orlando in september and I'd like to ship some packages to my Hotel. Will I be taxed? I've tried to make a purchase simulation on the website, however I haven't seen any tax inclusion until the "payment form" page.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 32 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  290
Total posts:  779
Initial post:  Sep 1, 2012
Latest post:  24 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 24 customers

Search Customer Discussions