Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

What do you think the WORST film transfer out on Blu-ray is?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 134 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 18, 2013 6:21:36 AM PST
i have read all three James Dean films on blu to be soon released, i hope Warners do the usual first class treatment these
pictures deserve.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 11:09:54 AM PST
JVAN says:
Agreed! Gritty, "found footage" or older films I always research to see if there's a benefit over the DVD. In this case, I opted for the DVD of 28 Day for this very reason.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 11:07:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2013 11:07:52 AM PST
JVAN says:
This is not related to the trans er (PQ & AQ). I think you received a bad disc or your player needed an update. I have the Sleepy Hollow BD and it plays/looks fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 11:00:31 AM PST
poseidonboy says:
Agreed...I had high hopes for WOTW and I thought the blu ray looked HORRIBLE

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 10:57:52 AM PST
Sleepy Hollow - The frame won't stop jumping around! I had to stop watching pretty early on and haven't revisited it.

Last of the Mohicans (1992) is far darker than the DVD. In scene-by-scene comparisons, there is quite a bit of detail lost due to it. I was quite disappointed.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 10:51:14 AM PST
I agree about Cast Away. There isn't much depth to the image and the colors/image were softer than I had anticipated. I wasn't overly thrilled about the audio either. It isn't a horrible Blu ray, but it isn't that great either.

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 10:59:44 AM PST
I dont know if it was mentioned yet, but Gladiator was pretty awful. Sound, clarity, all just garbage.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 2:44:26 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 12, 2013 1:47:09 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 9:58:17 AM PST
28 Days Later was filmed in standard definition. What you're seeing is exactly what was recorded on the camera.

Posted on Feb 10, 2013 4:25:05 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 11, 2013 2:28:10 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2013 3:43:39 PM PST
Bourne1886 says:
@Bourne1886 We are all human and so we all can get passionate about our favorite topics. Thankfully, you and what follows from STLC Superfan show us examples of a polite and respectful way to resolve any misunderstandings. Nicely done!

Thankyou. I agree grain is fundamental!

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 12:28:01 PM PST
Oldie Man says:
The Secret of Nimh

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2013 12:04:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2013 12:06:09 PM PST
John McPhee says:
@Bourne1886 We are all human and so we all can get passionate about our favorite topics. Thankfully, you and what follows from STLC Superfan show us examples of a polite and respectful way to resolve any misunderstandings. Nicely done!

I wanted to add that you have it exactly right. What we see are reproductions of the best extant film prints. The smallest discernible detail is always the grain itself regardless of the film stock or its particular characteristics. You will recall in conventional light and chemical darkrooms that the film negative was critically focused using high magnification of the grain to ensure overall focus. Grain is fundamental.

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 11:35:27 PM PST
M. Gaudet says:
Its the worst Batman film ever made but the blu ray for batman and robin sucks.

DVNR city. Waxy and plasticky.

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 3:16:06 PM PST
Todd Mazurek says:
48 HOURS and THE GREEN ZONE

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2013 10:52:40 AM PST
Derdnik says:
Source material.

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 11:04:56 AM PST
If you can watch one Blu-Ray, and it looks fantastic, and then watch one that looks terrible, how can you attribute that to "noise"?

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 7:48:25 AM PST
atticus29 says:
As I read these comments. I think the TV has to be accounted for a lot more than it has. Every time I go into a BestBuy, or Frys there are several TVs on display running BluRay movies. Many of the TVs have noise, a few sets I saw the other day looked absolutely horrible. It's possible people are mistaking noise and grain.

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 8:40:17 PM PST
I was/am very disappointed with the picture quality of Safe House.

The movie itself was/is decent.

Especially for a newly produced flick, I think the PQ sucks.

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 8:39:23 PM PST
A film transfer is as only good as the film stock it started with. If the film stock want good the transfer isn't good. I was really disappointed in Full Metal Jacket but I guess that's the way Stanley wanted it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 12:10:07 PM PST
JVAN says:
Also - And I don't know if this matters to you - Some play SACD's (Oppo does). The only less expensive brand, and I mean near the $100 point, that also plays them is Sony (Sony is the creator of the SACD standard, so there's no license fee).

I still think Short Circuit is the most god-awful transfer I've ever seen for video and sound!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 12:01:07 PM PST
Elder Dave says:
Here's the link to Oppo, Steve. The Oppo 103 (their latest) plays 3-D BD's.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/

Many other players do not. You have to look at the specs. Samsung, LG, Sony and others also play 3DBD's. But even those brands make players that don't. You have to check the specs for each model you are interested in.

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 11:18:05 AM PST
Someone please educate me on this point. While I am interested in buying an OPPO BR player, I wasn't aware that some players will accept and use 3D Blu Rays while others will not.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 11:08:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 31, 2013 11:09:18 AM PST
Elder Dave says:
Well, I've got an older LG BH200 multiplayer that still plays current BD's, but it can't do as well as the 3-D Samsung player I also have as far as PQ and audio. And neither one can compete with the Oppo 93 on which I play most everything these days. The constant is the 55" LG. I'm sure there is reproduction equipment out there that steps the game up even further. I will say that the Oppo and the LG TV seem to make even questionable releases look good, at least good enough so that we're very satisfied.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 8:19:49 AM PST
I think that is true in alot of these cases, but I viewed "Highlander" on my Samsung LED of the same size as your HDTV. There are alot of inferior, cheap, low quality brands out there rest assured.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  77
Total posts:  134
Initial post:  Dec 24, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions