Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

D-BOX is better than 3D

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-58 of 58 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2011 8:10:58 AM PST
A/V guru says:
Well, then D-Box needed to do a better job at their 2011 CES demo. They were asked if a "live" internet connection were necessary. All the D-Box people said "The cues are on the disc."

I specifically asked that question to the guy running the demo.

Their own website(which is apparently wrong) still states the codes are imbedded in more and more movies/games.

So, Retarbus, if you want to harp about D-Box...write them a letter.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2011 9:00:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2011 9:38:21 AM PST
Roy Zander says:
C.Barbus:

Is it abnormal to download the codes from the internet?? They are available to those with a subscription (which is free the 1st year).

Firmware updates are downloaded on Blu-ray players by internet. That's pretty normal. The D-box controller has a hard drive that stores the codes. A different code is required for each version / language of a film or if it was released in a different country. I was surprised to find the movie "Up" having 16 different codes!

D-box creates new codes continually. Their website lists everything available, including new and upcoming releases. Yesterday, I got 15 updates - 2 of them were new movies! - the others were upgrades such as: adding Blu-ray to the DVD codes and/or languages,director cuts, etc, to existing movies already on the HD.

To show you that D-box is emerging in a big way, check the back label on your Blu-rays. Some will have the D-box code right on the disc! On newer D-box controllers you just pop it in and the coding is added to your internal hard drive (with-out that cumbersome internet downloading - Ha-Ha). Widescreen Review magazine even reviews the motion experience of Blu-rays that have the coding on the disc!

Movie studios believe in D-box. There are currently about 1000 movies that are D-box encoded. That translates to 10,000 to 15,000 codes that are on my controller. The 40 gig HD is about 1/4 full - new controllers have double the HD space or you can use your PCs hard drive to store your codes.

*How many 3D movies are available, now?? Not so many. - Yet, way more people have heard about 3D compared to D-box. I used to be crazy about laserdiscs. They were the superior format then, but largely unheard of by most people. I stretched the ear and converted a few of my friends, though.

This is my humble effort to educate the masses about a hobby I'm nuts about.

***Edit: Hey A/V Guru: Hope this helps you, too. Unfortunately, companies don't always send the brightest bulbs to demo equipment. (Canadian) - (just kidding!) Ever asked a homeshow rep any technical question? I wanna go to the CES sometime. You're lucky!

***Hey what gives, knuckleheads - am I the monkey or the retarbus???***

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2011 12:07:33 PM PST
C. Barbus, we've already covered this before, but some discs come with D-Box Motion Codes on the disc, so an internet connection is not required. This was documented at the AVSForum, which I provided you a link the last time around.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2011 1:18:16 PM PST
A/V guru says:
Zander...

I am a CES regular. Been the last 7 years for Directv. Directv was in talks last year to include D-Box with their feeds of HBO, Cinemax etc. So far, nothing has come of that. Retarbus is basically trying to dredge up a conversation where he was wrong(still is). D-Box isn't supposed to need an internet connection on, last count, 75% of their new releases. They are trying to get that down to 0%(not very likely).

The CES D-Box demo was the "new"(not out yet) Need for Speed. That game, with the D-box, simply rocked.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2011 8:06:19 PM PST
Roy,

It is normal for D-box, Not the Guru and Chang just don't quite understand how the whole thing works with the motion codes. Please explain it to them, because they do not believe the D-box website itself.

Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2011 11:22:35 PM PST
C. Barbus,

He already did: "Some will have the D-box code right on the disc! On newer D-box controllers you just pop it in and the coding is added to your internal hard drive (with-out that cumbersome internet downloading - Ha-Ha)."

You're welcome.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2011 6:18:06 AM PST
I really have to stop paying attention at work and read these posts better. ;o)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:59:40 AM PST
Aron says:
>the D-Box platform should be sold for under $400, in my opinion.

Wow, there are some crazies on these boards.

Forget the cost of the theater seats, the pistons, or even the stepper motors that drive the pistons. Even just the controllers for the stepper motors cost thousands:

http://www.thorlabs.com/NewGroupPage9.cfm?ObjectGroup_ID=1704&gclid=CLSn2sSWrLQCFUZgMgodVF4AHw
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  58
Initial post:  Mar 4, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions