Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

Blu-ray Sucks! Amazon keeps pushing a format that I hate and will never buy.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 469 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 10:44:33 AM PDT
dex says:
yes PS3 are nice because it dose more then just gaming but as a blu ray it dose alright for entry-level players

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 4:31:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 21, 2011 4:33:51 PM PDT
turkish says:
I think PS3 is way better than just an entry level player. the only thing i can think of that PS3 is unable to do is being able to play 3D and lossless audio codecs at the same time. the PQ is comparable to other players in similar price range. and definitely rates better than those true entry level players like magnavox etc. I have 2 PS3's as my blu ray players, and I still don't have enough reasons to buy a stand alone. except maybe a multiregion player to watch import flicks. sure a $1000 high end player might offer some features over this, but that would be a high end option. at 250 price range, it is a solid competition to others.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 5:58:03 PM PDT
The PS3 also cannot handle 3d with BD-J, so no 3D games, menus, or otherwise programmed special features.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 6:19:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 21, 2011 6:20:01 PM PDT
turkish says:
there are 3D games like killzone, Call of Duty etc on PS3 though. I dont know what kind of games you are referring to?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 6:45:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 21, 2011 6:47:39 PM PDT
Games built into the special features. One that comes to mind is the dice game on Pirates of the Carribean. Bonus feature games like that which are in 3D will not be in 3D on the PS3 because ps3 cannot do 3D bd-J. Killzone, Call of Duty are not BD-J games, so those are not impacted by this deficiency, just movie bonus goodies, menus and any other 3D content written in BD-J.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 10:57:56 PM PDT
doublem says:
7.1 in some cases.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2011 11:32:15 AM PDT
EdM says:
netman - "Todd, that great 5.1 sound you enjoyed in Batman Forever you get with every Blu Ray...get it?"

Actually, the sound that Todd got from Netflix is NOT the great sound of "Batman Forever", although it had 5.1 channels.
The great sound of the Blu-ray version is due to "English: Dolby TrueHD 5.1" lossless audio; all streaming versions lack
lossless audio, and streaming movie audio quality varies in how much they compress the audio and how many channels.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Batman-Forever-Blu-ray/1172/

OTOH, not all BD movies/shows have high quality lossless audio, but I greatly appreciate the ones that do.

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 11:51:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 22, 2011 11:52:37 AM PDT
Agreed, the point I was trying to make was that Blu Ray will always have equal and usually better sound than the comparable streaming download.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2011 5:06:37 PM PDT
Georgedc says:
Blu ray is the best!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2011 5:10:39 AM PST
Kubricker says:
Actually since the last firmware update the PS3 DOES do lossless audio now on 3D titles (of the very few that are available/worth owning). Did you not get that?

Posted on Nov 8, 2011 5:41:14 AM PST
Tessa says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 8, 2011 5:58:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2011 6:04:09 AM PST
JVAN says:
Upgrading to blu-ray is currently optional, not required. If someone doesn't want to pay the money, then don't! The cost of adding the laser for DVD to a blu-ray player is negligible. Hold on to your DVD player until it dies, then go out and buy a cheap blu-ray player that still plays your DVD's (if you can't find another DVD player).

Consider you can get a DVD player new for less than $20 if you shop around ($12 on black Friday). Now strip out the cost of the transport mechanism, power supply, display, case, all the electronics & hardware really, except the laser and it's support chip; shipping, packaging, documentation, inventory tracking, stocking and other overhead; etc. and the cost of adding DVD playback ability now becomes about $2. Now consider makers will not want to alienate those who hold on to the hundreds of millions of DVD's currently owned in the world; at least not for another couple of decades. In fact, if you're a VHS holdover, you can still buy the tape decks! And DVD has more distribution than VHS did, and the format is not even compatible with it's replacement.

Basically, if you don't want to buy blu-ray, and want to continue to buy DVD's, then buy DVD's and move on with life. If you're complaining about the future, you probably complain about the cost of dental work you don't even know you need yet. Future happens. Or jump straight to streaming. No one is holding your nose in the dirt telling you to buy blu-rays!

Most of my DVD's will not be replaced until I have no way to play them back (comedies, dramas. TV, etc.). I have over 500 blu-rays, over 800 DVD's, and yes, I still have VHS and a Mitsubishi 4-head Hi-Fi editing deck hooked up to my Pioneer Elite Kuro. So to each their own. Choices are there, even long after people ranted about VHS going away. By the time BD's replace DVD's for new distribution, they'll cost the same as DVD's.

Posted on Nov 8, 2011 6:50:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2011 1:01:49 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
Jesus, you people on this forum are so easily trolled...

Posted on Nov 8, 2011 7:08:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2011 7:08:54 AM PST
JVAN says:
Why is that every single post in this topic by Rick "Escape from New York is the Greatest movie of ALL TIME!!!" Proska has been deleted by Amazon? Makes me want to read what he wrote that they found so offensive!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2011 7:43:00 AM PST
The Sandwich dude from VGF goaded Rick into a battle, and both ended up getting scrapped from Amazon. At one time, Sandwich even had the name of one of his accounts called Rick Proska, so without opening the profile, we wouldn't know which Rick was posting. Of Course, when someone gets wiped from Amazon, their whole post history goes bye-bye. Same deletion happened to Digital Babe last year. Rick is still watching, though. And don't call me Harold!

Posted on Nov 8, 2011 9:06:48 AM PST
Tessa says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2011 9:19:15 AM PST
JVAN says:
VGF? How old IS Rick? I didn't notice Digital Babe getting deleted last year; I thought it was way before that. Either way; Thanks Harold.

Eri - Better to march on than be marched on. If everyone agreed with you then things would be okey dokey? Ever occur to you that you may not be open to different opinions either? Your robot "dig" indicates just how welcome you are to opinions different than yours.

Posted on Nov 8, 2011 9:26:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2011 9:41:28 AM PST
Personally, I'm glad technology changes once in a while or we would still be watching B&W mono TV or listening to the radio. There is no excuse not to buy a Blu Ray player with sale prices as low as $50. BD will be around for a long time so you might as well get used to the idea. I haven't bought a DVD in years and I've upgraded almost my entire collection to BD, with the exception of TV shows, which will eventually be released in BD. If for no other reason, it will be a great space saver with entire seasons on a single disk. I can't wait.

If you can afford it, I would recommend a PS3 which is a high-quality BD player that also plays DVDs, CDs, MP3s, and just about anything else on an optical disk, not to mention some amazing games. It also auto-updates off the Internet. I've never had a disk that wouldn't play, unlike other expensive players that require software updates. In addition, I use it to stream all of my iTunes playlists from my media server. It also supports NetFlix, although I don't use it for that. Overall, the PS3 is a technological wonder IMO. My once crowded equipment shelf has been condensed down to a PS3 and a pre/amp.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2011 9:42:32 AM PST
JVAN says:
Does the PS3 play SACD's? I have a Sony S380, but am thinking about upgrading to the PS3 in Feb.

Posted on Nov 8, 2011 9:47:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2011 10:23:10 AM PST
I don't own any SACDs so I can't say for sure. I seem to remember reading a while back that earlier PS3s did support SACD but that new models do not.

I do have some DVD audio (DTS) disks and a couple of BD audio disks that sound great. If you are interested, Steven Wilson, the next generation's Alan Parsons, has remastered the King Crimson catalog in DTS 5.1. Other bands like Rush and Porcupine Tree are also releasing their catalog in DTS 5.1. I'd recommend Grace for Drowning, the latest Stephen Wilson solo BD if you want to try it out. Uncompressed DTS MA sounds so realistic, you'd think that you were in the band.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2011 10:45:58 AM PST
CAD says:
I know I do. But hey - that's just me.

I love - I mean really love - Blu Ray.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2011 10:47:02 AM PST
JVAN says:
It looks the the only US versions of the PS3 that could play SACD's were the 20, 60 and 80GB versions. Too bad. Sony makes the only SACD player (in the form of BD players), that plays SACD's for a reasonable price. Guess I'll keep my 380.

Not a fan of King Crimson (how uncool is it to say that?!?), but I've listened to some BD audio side by side with the same title SACD, and there is no difference. I wish Amazon's sort options for music was less ambiguous for genre, and more accurate for everything else (such as Media type, etc.).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2011 10:52:52 AM PST
hahah he def was an hddvd supporter...dont hate the console, hate the game

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2011 1:17:12 PM PST
The answer is yes and no. I found on the sony website this page that explains the compatibility of SACD. The models appear to be the same that have PS2 compatabillity, because the table apparently applies to both compatabilities. PS2 compatible models are not in production any more, so I would guess a new PS3 would not be able to play SACD.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/playablediscs.html

Posted on Nov 8, 2011 2:35:12 PM PST
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  171
Total posts:  469
Initial post:  Jun 22, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions