Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

After blu-ray, what comes next?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 255 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 2:44:50 PM PDT
Sorry, thought that was self evident based on my use of the word culture rather than country in the first comment. Since you didn't get that I thought I'd better lay it out step by step in my response

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 2:54:54 PM PDT
stevign says:
That's ok, I appreciate the effort.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_gJj5qGDNu0g/TIx_OEWm07I/AAAAAAAAAAU/h-1uQpWNmAk/s1600/Shaking_Hands.jpg

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 3:36:55 PM PDT
A M says:
"The modern culture in North America (and yes as you say many other places, but that is besides the point) has been founded (to some degree, but I'll avoid quantification altogether here so you don't feel I'm a hypocrite) on materialism and consumerism. Materialism and consumerism are qualities found in modern culture."

Okay, as the person who accidentally started this sub thread, I think you are splitting hairs. My original statement, "Most people are not that materialistic." Can be counted as a quantitative statement - but just barely. Obviously it is subjective and anecdotal. I suppose that I should have started the sentence with the words "I believe that." But they can essentially be implied by the context and aren't really necessary. I am not citing any facts or figures. I am presenting my personal opinion.

But the point where I take umbrage with your theories is that America and Capitalism were FOUNDED on materialism and consumerism. I would not say that those were beliefs and ideals and goals upon which our society was founded. They were offshoots that sprung up from our democracy and capitalist society. Being called "materialistic" is not a compliment. Many uses of being called a "consumer" are dehumanizing. I suggest you purchase George Romero's "Dawn of the Dead" (from 1978, not the 2004 remake). It is a comedy/horror film, but also a fascinating study of how mass consumerism turns us into mindless zombies.

From my point of view, people are materialistic about large things, and expensive things: houses, cars, clothes, furniture. Not small things like a $20 DVD or Blu Ray. But I am talking in broad sweeping strokes. Everyone is slightly different. I have met a few people who get free screeners during awards season are loathe to lend them out. And very insistent about getting them back if they do. But I know other people who give them away as Christmas Gifts.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 4:16:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2012 4:19:00 PM PDT
I suppose its always just a matter of differing subjectivity, I think the opposite of you in regards to people being materialistic or not. I think that most people (in North America at least) are more materialistic than not. I mean materialistic insofar as it's related to consumerism - valuing material items more than non-material.

I also think, to bring it back to the thread, that human beings, more than not, have a deep tendency towards materialism (both in relation and not in relation to consumerism)... so I think the majority of North Americans want a physical object that they can say they spent their money on, or something physical to interact with when they spend money on most things. I think films being strictly limited to streaming services will be decades away (if it ever happens) based on this notion. Renting movies is something greatly suited to streaming though as most people who rent movies just want to watch the movie for as little trouble as possible, most people who bother to buy a movie, are buying it for the convenience, which I feel goes more hand in hand with physical media.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 4:28:21 PM PDT
I'd be interested to know, as I personally have no clue about the tech side of things, would it be possible for them to make the next generation of home media (4K quality) backwards compatible with Blu-ray? I think if they keep with the idea that the player is backwards compatible and people who collect or already have a stockpile of home media won't have to hold on to two players then they will/should move ahead with new home media formats in about ten years time.

I'm always for better picture quality but I think videophiles have a right to be upset when a new format gets made completely obsolete, I wasn't a victim of it but I'm sympathetic to those who started buying HDDVD's and I think all of us experienced the disappearance of VHS technology (more or less), the VHS thing hurt parents most as VHS started not becoming available and forced come people who wouldn't have bothered to buy DVD's. Luckily now DVD's are priced at what VHS were but for a while at the beginning they were still high up there

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 4:40:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2012 6:47:02 PM PDT
A M says:
"I'd be interested to know, as I personally have no clue about the tech side of things, would it be possible for them to make the next generation of home media (4K quality) backwards compatible with Blu-ray?"

Yes it is possible. But the problem is not with the technology. The problem is with the content. Right now there is no format or standards for 4K. HD standards were made back in the eighties. So that would have to get hammered out. But more importantly there is a dearth of content. Right now all Television is shot in 1080P. Almost all films for the last ten years have been mastered in 2K. Over the last ten years the studios have been re-mastering old films in HD. So all those old films would have have their elements re-hung to be transferred at 4K. New films will have to start doing 4K DIs. And most importantly a standard would have to be created for consumer content. Even for 2K DIs, there is no standard. The file formats and how the neg is organized is different from post house to post house.

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 5:31:15 PM PDT
stevign says:
I'm ok with progress but like "albums" more than CDs because of the size of the cover art. It was something one could hold, read and depending on the art, admire while listening. Can't do that with DVD packages, I'm too busy watching the movie.

Streaming may be the future but I like to have a CD or DVD to shelve, much like books. It's part of what makes a room a room, it's part of the decor, it's part of "us" and what makes us who we are and it's there for all to see and discuss if they wish. I'm a total music freak, so one of the 1st things I look for when visiting a person's home is their music collection, it intrigues and informs me.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 5:54:03 PM PDT
R. Mantz says:
well after all the vhs i had then upgrading over 300 of those to dvd now upgrading whatever i can of the over 500 dvds to blu-ray i wont be getting anything they come out with over the next two decades

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 6:07:26 PM PDT
Me either, as it is I've only been upgrading to blu of my favorite films and usually when on sale, but if they came out with a new backwards compatible player that looked noticeably better I'd buy it and just buy. Ew releases in that format

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 8:13:20 PM PDT
Ashely1990 says:
Very true. I love collecting Blu's. That is just what some people like to do. Call me materialistic or obsessed but I love doing it. Some people don't get that feeling of owning the movies you love and knowing that they are within our reach whenever we want them. I know people who question my spending on Blu Ray, they need a justification for spending money on a plastic disc, but there is no justification needed, it is just me.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 10:36:46 PM PDT
"What a ludicrous conclusion. I'm a very gregarious person, always have been. I just happen to like disappearing into a film when I go and other people are sometimes too much of a distraction."

Yep. To A M, those of us that go to the movies to watch the movie instead of our neighbors' kids hate being around people. A M must be a lonely man if he needs strangers in the theater for people time. Look A M, if I need to hang around some kids, I drive up to the playground in my white van...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 5:57:09 AM PDT
bfore13 says:
"Also, on this board I hear people complain constantly about kids throwing popcorn, talking, texting, etc. during movies. Maybe it is because I live in Los Angeles, or maybe I am able to focus and tune it out, but I don't notice any of that when I am at the movies. The occasional whisper or murmur, but nothing egregious."

Then consider yourself fortunate. Since you can't relate to a movie going experience where those things happen, don't classify people who do experience those things as not liking others. BTW, if you can't get completely immersed in a movie like The Avengers and totally enjoy it w/o other people around you then I think you're the one who has problems with the way you need to watch movies.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 8:58:51 AM PDT
bfore13 thanks for that quote, I noticed some problems with his statement, too.

"Also, on this board I hear people complain constantly about kids throwing popcorn, talking, texting, etc. during movies. Maybe it is because I live in Los Angeles, or maybe I am able to focus and tune it out, but I don't notice any of that when I am at the movies. The occasional whisper or murmur, but nothing egregious. "

A M, Here you admit that while you are watching a movie, you are able to "focus and tune it out" if there anything else going on. My question is if your goal is to "focus and tune out" distractions, why is there value in the "communal experience"? You are trying to tune out the communal experience while the movie is playing.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 1:37:43 PM PDT
A M says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 2:55:25 PM PDT
"Last night I saw "Argo" and the audience applauded when the plane made it into the air. I guess Jonathan A. Chang would find that distracting and it would take him out of the movie. I found it uplifting. It is touches like that which I like."

I don't find any value in how other people respond to a movie when I am perfectly capable of responding on my own. I am speaking "theoretically", of course. Read that how you may.

"To each their own. But I stand by my theorem that Jonathan Chang is a misanthrope with no friends."

You're obsessed with me.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 3:12:00 PM PDT
Amen, JAC.

Since A M is extrapolating a friendship theory from how we enjoy movies and who we see the movies with, he must imagine that all the people in the theater are his friends.

I haven't seen Argo yet, and thanks for giving away the ending, by the way, but I think I could have figured out where the feel good moments are.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 4:45:23 PM PDT
stevign says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 4:51:15 PM PDT
Has this discussion then decided, that after blu-ray what comes next is a bunch of guys arguing with each other, over their personal beliefs regarding things other than the thread topic, on the amazon forums? (myself included - in that regrettable tangential regarding materialism), lol

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 5:00:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 24, 2012 5:03:03 PM PDT
Really isn't whether someone enjoys a crowded theater or not more indicative of their personal relationship to films more than it is a statement on their social lives?
I know sociable elderly people but they go to the movies during Sunday matinees so avoid the rush, I know unsociable people who go on Friday night because that's one of the only times they get a communal experience

So really it runs all sorts of ways and whether someone wants to sit Ina theater with others or not doesn't really matter, it depends what they want from the experience and that may change film to film, I saw tree of life and purposefully went when there would be fewer people so I could pay attention (wasn't fond of the beginning/ earth forming thing, just me tho) but when I saw avengers I went opening day because I wanted that shared audience reaction to make it more laughable and fun

On another note, some people think its odd where I live to go to the movies by yourself, but since I enjoy them so much I can't always count on someone to come along (it can break ones wallet, I get it) but to me it's always been like, so what if you go alone? The only thing you miss is the after talk -- unless you're one of those people that talks during the movie -- which I find discourteous in a full theater, certainly some movies I'd never see without a friend to share the experience (good or bad) but other films I almost enjoy the simplicity of getting in and out on my own

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 9:31:42 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 10:53:15 PM PDT
stevign says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 8:23:52 AM PDT

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 5:11:57 PM PDT
A M says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 5:15:13 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 6:02:13 PM PDT
A M says:
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  59
Total posts:  255
Initial post:  Oct 8, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions