Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

Does anyone else by blu's used from sellers on Amazon?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 25, 2013 3:11:32 PM PST
Zachary Horn says:
I always get fantastic deals when I buy used, and have never gotten anything that was less than godly condition. I never hear people talking about buying used though.

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 4:18:58 PM PST
Justin says:
I have in the past but just once. I bought Inception used on blu-ray. It was the 3 disc with blu-ray, DVD and digital copy...all the discs were in absolutely perfect condition, they were all there as they should have been, the box and slip case were perfect. Got it for only 7 bucks. I had found a guy here on amazon who was moving and getting rid of a large collection of movies and he was very prompt in his responses and very honest. I think it depends on the seller and choosing one who has the best feedback. I've heard some awful stories about some sellers but for the most part, it all seems fairly positive. I'm definitely going to be looking into more in the future.

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 4:19:35 PM PST
turkish says:
I bought about 10, 15 movies used from amazon sellers so far. each and every one of them were in great condition. I would buy more, but most of the time, third party sellers prices are not low enough for me to use their services. when you add shipping costs, a lot of time used movies come to same price as brand new from amazon. I have amazon prime, so I dont pay for shipping.

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 1:19:05 PM PST
jefxhoy says:
I purchased 2 blu-rays from sellers. The movies themselves were in good shape but the packaging was awful. By that I mean the items were shipped in DVD packaging. Didn't work for me as I had downsized my shelves too hold the bluray disc size. So just check with the seller and see what the delivery size is, i.e. Blu-ray-Dvd.

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 1:39:25 PM PST
Rainman208 says:
I have bought many Blus used on Amazon. Tough to say an exact number but I'd guess at least 30-40. I've gotten some pretty good deals but lately the price difference has shrunk greatly unless you're buying something that's been out for a long time.

You do have to watch out for former rentals as they will most likely come in dvd packaging as another poster stated. Now along w. the dvd packaging you'll have to watch out fo inferior rental discs from Lionsgate who now put lossy DD tracks on rental discs.

My strategy now is to get new releases on Ebay. Some people will but the Blu ray combo pack, keep the dvd and/or digital copy and sell the Blu-ray w/ case for my trigger price of $15 or less incl. shipping. May not seem like much of a difference but I've saved a ton that way w/ a Blu-ray library of 363 and growing. Just a $5 savings of half that library is over $900. It adds up quick.

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 5:13:07 PM PST
i buy most of my blu rays on amazon..i find the best deals here and belive me iam a true blu ray collector with over a 1000 blu ray movies...and going......

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 4:58:05 AM PST
paper tiger says:
I currently own 1,048 Blu-ray movies and I have purchased at least 17% of them used from Amazon. You just have to make sure the seller has a good score and the condition is what you want. I have purcahsed Blu-rays used really cheap because the case was cracked or had stickers all over it. Well I have at least 20 spare cases to replace damaged ones. I also replace those cheap "recycled" "green" cases which are so flimsy with my quality third-party Blu-ray cases.

There is nothing wrong with buying used Blu-rays. Also, my state just started charging tax, and if I purcahse a used Blu-ray out of state I don't get taxed, though as I am an Amazon Prime member I do have to pay shipping with third-party sellers, but in the end it usually is still less expensive than buying new direct from Amazon.

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 7:10:00 AM PST
Cavaradossi says:
I have purchased a number of movies and tv series on used DVDs and BDs. I have only once had a problem twice. The first was a wrong disc in a tv series season set. The seller was unable to exchange it, so I was given a refund for a third of what I paid for the set. Unfortunately, I still had to buy another used copy of the set to get the missing disc; I ended up paying for the two used sets what I would have paid for it had I bought it new from Amazon.

The second one had to do with the DVD version of the complete Superman movies collection. The first disc containing the extended version of Superman: the Motion Picture, turned out to be defective and wouldn't play behind a certain point early in the picture. All the other discs were fine. It happened that Amazon had a a very good sale on the DVD of the version of the movie, so I purchased it and put the EE into the complete box.

I have yet to have any problems with the used BDs I've bought. Since BDs are supposed to be more difficult to damage, I am less concerned about that than with DVDs when I buy used.

I would say that about a quarter of my BD and DVD purchases are used. I usually buy "like new", if the price is right, but I have also bought a number of "very good" and "good" discs, with only the two problems I noted above. I never buy "acceptable". It would have to be something I really wanted and it was available no other way at the time. also, as others have noted, pay attention to the seller scores, combined with the quality description. Another thing is that I have a fe sellers I have come to trust, and will even pay a little bit more if they are offering a used disc I want. I also look for sellers who give a 100% guarantee on the used discs. Not all do.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 7:00:11 PM PST
Georgedc says:
YES!

ALL THE TIME!

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 9:15:59 PM PDT
I own 940 blu-ray movies always buy them from Amazon, the thing that i look for is that the ones that i buy includes the art inserts (covers), also i look for bluray-dvd combos, i could always find the covers for the dvd in the internet.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 11:47:27 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 15, 2013 12:39:29 AM PDT]

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 8:57:55 AM PDT
Don Squeek says:
I have bought 300 used DVD's and around 30 used Blu-Rays from Amazon sellers. Have never had any problems besides occasionally the wrong movie gets shipped. The few times that has happened the sellers told me to keep it because shipping a $3 DVD back to them is a waste of time and money. Overall you get the best deals buying usedand there is very little risk. My one tip is I never buy from someone with no reviews. For example brand new accounts. Thats just my preference but may be why I've never had any trouble.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 6:46:12 PM PDT
geno de says:
zachary I buy 90% of my blu rays used from sellers on amazon,once you establish your favorite seller who you know gives you good customer service, you cannot go wrong.I have three,since I live in Texas I used GO HASTING alot.never got anything bad from them.never but never buy used rentals,read everthing the seller has to offer.you can get fantastic deals.once I bought a blu ray that seller said,used like new, what do you know,It was brand new, never open.A lot of people see the word USED and won't buy, maybe dvds but blu rays I would say your on the safe side.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 6:54:46 PM PDT
Correct! I've bought at least 20-25 used, but as you say, after adding the $3 shipping it kinda takes away from most of the good deals. I have prime too, and am wishing that Amazon would require sellers to lower or eliminate the shipping cost altogether.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 7:08:18 PM PDT
Hi Paper Tiger,

Question for you, what type of blu-ray cases do you purchase? The actual item name/number would be helpful. I've searched, and there are so many different kinds out there until I'm not sure which is the best quality. Appreciate your help!

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 9:48:37 PM PDT
geno de says:
paul, go to discmakers online,they sell genuine original viva elite and vortex solid cases,these were the ones first used when blu rays came out, I like the viva elite better I guess because 80% of blu ray movies come in viva,vortex is good too,It's up to you. now both of these are still used today, the quality isn't as good as the first ones that came out.I would stock up if you buy alot of blu rays

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 12:08:00 AM PDT
Elder Dave says:
geno de, I've bought literally hundreds of used DVD's BD's, 3DBD's, CD's, etc. from Amazon associates aside from new stuff from Amazon, and one of my most trusted resellers is goHastings. I've had little trouble with sellers in general (about 5 overall over maybe 10 years--all satisfactorily resolved by the seller or Amazon). I had one with goHastings--a defective copy of the 5-Disc Bladerunner set. They told me not to bother sending it back and refunded my money quickly upon being contacted. I agree that they are a fine seller.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 12:33:09 AM PDT
Great, thanks a bunch Geno De!

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 4:44:57 AM PDT
paper tiger says:
Hey Paul,
I have purchased many from different places, brands, and vendors. However this is the most recent ones I purchased... 25 x Empty Standard Blue Replacement Boxes/Cases for Blu-Ray DVD Movies (DVBR12BR)

They are stronger, and snap tight and really close to the way they should be. If you search "Blu-ray Cases Single" on Amazon, or Ebay you'll find many options. But those are the ones I get.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 7:56:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 7:57:20 AM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
I, too, want to add my voice naming goHastings as a business I've come to trust when buying used DVDs and BDs. I've never had a problem with anything I've bought from them, and I've bought quite a bit.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 10:21:49 AM PDT
Thanks Mr. Tiger (:-),

I'll check it out. I've only bought a 10 pack once...it was okay, but wasn't sure I was getting the best option out there. Thanks again!

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 10:32:34 AM PDT
I've bought a few used blu-rays on Amazon, but like used books I only buy the ones that have the description "like new". To date I've never had a bad bad disc. I'd say give it a try, just make sure the savings are still worth it once you figure in the s & h. Sometimes a great bargain can be completely offset by the price you pay in postage especially if the seller isn't an Amazon prime deal.

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 8:12:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 15, 2013 8:13:50 AM PDT
sparta man says:
I do whenever the price is right vs new. Most of the blu's come in great condition. It's hit and miss with slipcovers and inserts if you are into that sort of thing. Blu-rays are harder to scratch vs dvd's so most of them should arrive in good condition. Only knock is the shipping costs you pay.

Posted on Mar 16, 2013 7:38:36 PM PDT
I rarely buy a blu-ray new. I always find a better deal on Amazon Marketplace or e-Bay. Been at it for years. So far, no duds.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Feb 25, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions