Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

UV Digital Copy Hate

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 352 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2012 4:38:46 PM PDT
Bourne1886 says:
Not if it is on my device! AM has it right!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2012 9:13:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 21, 2012 10:29:49 PM PDT
You want cheap movies? I've never used the codes. When I bought the Hunger Games, it had two inserts for the iTunes Digital Copy/Ultraviolet. So I'll give one away right here. First person to successfully redeem it, please post so I can update to let others know.
Instructions say go to thehungergamesmovie.com/redeem and blah, blah, blah enter the code: 4L4MEWNT6XAE - besides being free you get the added bonus of being able to use copy/paste rather than having to read it off the card and type it!
[EDIT: The UV copy was redeemed within 40 min, but allegedly (as the redeemer suggests) the code can still be used for iTunes]

For some movies, I've noticed there are expiration dates for the codes. And it seems to be on the time scale when the title would drop down to budget pricing, which means only those who bought it early at the higher price can use it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2012 9:52:11 PM PDT
JMM says:
Keen Observer, thank you. Redeemed the UV copy. I believe the same code can still be used for iTunes, if someone else wants to try.

Thanks again!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2012 10:41:26 PM PDT
JMM, you're welcome, but I'm not sure why you would have needed it. On another thread, you said you bought the blu-ray: "The retail version I bought here on Amazon has the DTS-HD track."
What is the benefit if you already had a code? As I've admitted, I've never used the codes, which means I also don't know all the limitations imposed, such that redeeming additional codes would be beneficial to someone.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2012 11:26:44 PM PDT
JMM says:
I like having the digital copies, but I actually gave my code away to someone else. Some of my friends don't have the luxury of buying as many movies as I do, so I try to help them out. That is one reason why I am such a fan of combo packs and digital copies included with movies.

But I really like the Hunger Games, and thus I'm glad I now have a digital copy of my own. I assure you it won't go to waste. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 3:12:45 PM PDT
Thank you. You've explained it perfectly, for those who care to understand what's really going on here. It's moves like this that force users to go to alternative (and sometimes "illegal") sources, and ultimately the studios are shooting themselves in the foot. Again.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 3:16:01 PM PDT
And our ISPs go down sometimes, don't they. How does the "cloud" work then? Duh. I'm with you -- all "cloud" stuff is fine to a point, but you can't get the "cloud" on an airplane, in a car, in a power outage, and sometimes, without getting clocked by your ISP for all of the digital content we're constantly uploading and downloading. (Why should I download the same movie 4x?)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 4:40:48 PM PDT
A M says:
"but you can't get the "cloud" on an airplane, in a car, in a power outage, and sometimes, without getting clocked by your ISP for all of the digital content we're constantly uploading and downloading. (Why should I download the same movie 4x?)"

Clearly you have never used UltraViolet. Because you can download the movie to your device and then it is there permanently. Play it as many times as you want without internet access. If you have multiple devices, you don't even have to download it multiple times. I downloaded a film on my phone and then was able to transfer that file to my tablet.

But the bigger question is - how many times are you planning on watching the movie on your phone or tablet? Especially since you presumably have already seen it.

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 12:00:41 AM PDT
EdM says:
Still, the first thing they get rid of for D/L_ing to save bandwidth, is the high quality lossless audio. That alone makes most cloud sourced movie content untenable or unsatisfactory, regardless of whether the content is streamed or D/L_ed.

And for those waiting for improved technology to come along and ease bandwidth issues, have you noticed how much spectrum is being sucked up by smart phones and tablets these days? I don't see any magic wand opening up the airwaves to 100 bps [or higher] pipelines, not anytime soon, even if people could afford it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 1:23:59 PM PDT
Bourne1886 says:
No it isn't,breaking the law is a choice but you don't have to do it. Nobody is forcing you to do anything,you are your own person. What a stupid thing too say. Uv is a great way to deliver digital to the masses. I do understand what's going on here and it's not what you're saying.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 1:28:50 PM PDT
Bourne1886 says:
It's nice to see a person stating the truth for a change. A lot of people are throwing their teddies out of the pram for whatever reason and writing false stuff. They should read the instructions!

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 7:52:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2012 7:53:34 AM PDT
bart927 says:
So, by "stating the truth", you mean agreeing with you. It's great that UV works for you, you're one of the ones it does....for me, I have had an easier time at the dentist. It's not me or my device, or my friend's device, because other services work with zero difficulty, which is the way is should be. I don't just dismiss something.. I try it, if it doesn't work, what good is it to me?

I have read all of the instructions, and their lame attempt at lawyer jargen. What I find funny is the fact that the UV terms and conditions, and the website itself have changed many times since they first launched. I have been following UV since day 1, because I was hoping to see something new and innovative, yet everything was so vague and undefined. My curiosity with UV turned into distrust with one question.. What are they trying to hide? So forgive me when they say the right's don't expire, I don't trust them.

Then there's the quality issue. If you think this laughable service will replace blu-ray... like UV wants to... you are out of your mind.
because...UV has no set quality level other than "HD" and "SD." They are literally trying to reset the quality we SHOULD accept.
The simple math tells you. A single true HD blu-ray disc averages 25 to 50 gigs. The biggest HD UV download I've seen so far is around 10 gigs. That's half and more the quality is being compromised and compressed.

There's no way the same downloaded picture quality on the 4 inch screen will work on a 40 plus inch screen.

You like UV.. great.. Don't expect the rest of us to like it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 8:13:20 AM PDT
C.J. Roebuck says:
I like UV, it has also worked fantastic for me since day 1. I dont think anyone thinks UV will replace bluray, its not supposed to but rather compliment it. I buy my disc and get a uv copy that my family can view who cant afford the latest blurays.

Yes bluray looks and sound better but i dont want to take my blurays on the road with me but i'll take a roku or vudu enabled bluray player to connect to a hotel tv.

Also i have ripped my own blurays and the main movie are sometimes 15gb with an hd audio track. Now if you take out that hd audio you may get down to 13gb which is not much bigger than an HD video file from vudu. I watch vudu HDX on a 50in plasma and it looks very good to me, just not as sharp as a bluray. Regarding the quality, i also think this will be dependent on the provider. iTunes, Netflix, Amazon and Vudu have SD and HD and none of them download at 20gb that you mention.

Once again, this is not replacing bluray. It is just a added on bonus for free. If you dont want it, use the code and get an SD copy from iTunes...that is YOUR CHOICE. I'm just glad the choice is available for everyone else who dont have an apple product.

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 2:38:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2012 2:40:44 PM PDT
bart927 says:
AGAIN with the itunes....this isn't pepsi vs. coke...I am NOT about iTunes vs. UV... I hate UV for many other reasons. Not just it's multiple convoluted mobile apps and terrible PQ.
One that is the foremost in my book is the fact that you DO NOT own anything. You are on an extended rental.. if you were not, there would be no mention of "rights" and other lawyerese script in the UV facts on the UV website.

If you look at ALL of the articles written about UV and "the growing demand for streaming" and "piracy," you would see that it is Hollywood that is trying to convince everyone for a need to push this DRM ridden nonsense down our throats.

What better way to disguise their true purpose of phasing out all physical media and replace it with their DRM controlled downloadable files.... known as UV.

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 2:52:17 PM PDT
C.J. Roebuck says:
How are they phasing out physical media when you need to buy the media to get the UV copy? You still have YOUR physical owned copy, and the people who choose to get codes without the buying the movie are on the "extended rental".

The apps are not that bad, they do leave more to be desired but they get the job done while you're at the airport.

In any case, what devices have you tried to use UV with and how fast is your internet? Maybe we can help you a bit. I have 12mbs and i used vudu through ps3 and it works flawlessly and looks great. I tried flixster through my Sprint Evo 3D (on 4G) and it also played fine and looked great, albeit on a 4in screen. My wife tried vudu app on iphone 4s over wifi and it worked just as well. Also, mobile files are all SD and clock in around 800mb vs the 10gb hd files for a ps3.

I really hope this is not an extended rental because i spent a lot of money to convert a lot of movies to UV through Walmart Disc to Digital.
If you would like to know which films are going HD then check this list i created.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AoHc6DOHTAPcdEZrMVVHRXVZa095TEdjMng5SURqZ2c&single=true&gid=0&output=html

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 3:21:39 PM PDT
bart927 says:
You don't need to buy the blu- ray to get a UV, you can "purchase" copies through the online retailers.

While I appreciate the help, my current disgust and the apparent vagueness of UV makes me not want to use the service. I am not giving them any more of my time.

Walmart's VuDu system is ok for what it is, as a separate entity from UV...but then Walmart's disc to digital service is bogus, for Walmart DOESN'T "convert" anything for you. All their system did was search for your movie title in the UV library, then gave you access to it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 4:49:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 14, 2012 1:19:33 AM PDT
A M says:
"multiple convoluted mobile apps"

What do you mean by this? All my UV movies play in the flixster app. I didn't have to download any new apps for my phone or tablet when I got my first UV movie. I already had flixster installed because, I actually like to see movies in the theater and use it to find theater locations and showtimes.

"One that is the foremost in my book is the fact that you DO NOT own anything."

Well, there is going to a supreme court decision that may make that work across the board. Where you can not re-sell a book or a movie because you do not own the rights to the copywritten content. It's called the "first sale doctrine."

"replace it with their DRM controlled downloadable files.... known as UV."

And iTunes, pocketblu, DVDs, Blu Rays, and even HD Cable aren't DRM laden? That is the pot calling the kettle black. Don't bash UV for having DRM when almost all other means of getting video have it too. If UV doesn't work for you - that is fine.

I bought "Machete" and it came with a Pocketblu digital copy. It has never played. Not on my phone. Not on my tablet. Multiple downloads and even after updates to the app. It sucks. Not a selling point for me. But so far UV has worked for me.

Lastly, Hollywood isn't pushing streaming down our throats. Netflix added streaming, got it onto consoles and Blu Ray Players so it could be on the TV and people flocked to it. Studios followed suit based on where people were going. They liked the trend because they have a higher profit margin because there is no physical media to manufacture and ship.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2012 12:11:03 AM PDT
What you're complaining about is true for all digital copies, so isn't that kind of beyond the point of this thread? If you don't want to deal with that, you could always use the old fashioned method: ripping the disc manually. It's simple really, for nearly all discs without seamless branching, you could go into the STREAM folder in the Blu-ray, find the largest M2TS file, and copy that to your hard drive.

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 5:55:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 16, 2012 6:18:24 AM PDT
I buy movies for the disc - in my case, DVD - so I consider the UV digital copy to be a bonus feature.

I have yet to use the UV copy of movies I've bought that contain that. It's much more comfortable for my family to watch our movies in our living room on our big screen TV than try to crowd around my husband's computer in his study for two hours.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 4:41:35 PM PDT
Bourne1886 says:
I watch my UV's on my PD via my Flixster app. They look great on there.

The truth is the truth,whether people agree with me or not. I never said UV would replace BD. I don't want it to. BD is terrific quality, I just see UV or iTunes digi copies as a brucie bonus!

Remember the truth is out there!

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 8:47:15 AM PDT
A. Hunt says:
My Blu-ray DVD player, that plays origional DVDs and Blu-ray Discs will not play UV discs! Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2012 8:55:31 AM PDT
UV or any digital download/rights discs are for PC's to unlock UV rights. They are not meant for dvd/bd playback.

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 12:09:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 17, 2012 12:20:29 PM PDT
bart927 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2012 2:37:07 PM PDT
C.J. Roebuck says:
@ Brian, Downloads and discs have not been implemented yet and i dont think anyone knows how this will go down. Also the physical copy section has been on the site for a long time but the "get a copy" button has been grayed out. Also the disc copy could be considered a backup in case you lose/destroy your original disc. In which case, is cheaper than buying another copy and saves time from copying all the discs from the start.

Also as tons of people have said before, read the directions on the slip in the case. It never says "insert digital copy disc in your dvd/bluray player". Why would anyone do that when they have the dvd/bluray disc of the movie anyway which was more than likely placed in front of the digital copy disc or not behind an insert. What are you expecting to happen?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2012 3:37:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 17, 2012 3:38:38 PM PDT
A M says:
@Brian

You hate UV, yet you waste your time reading the fine print on the UV Web Site? Sounds like you are totally obsessed with Ultra Violet. I mean, I hate Pocketblu, it doesn't work and so rather than obsess about it, I get on with my life. Read a book, make love to a woman (or man, if that is your thing), ride a bike. In other words, get a life.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  116
Total posts:  352
Initial post:  Nov 22, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 27, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers

Search Customer Discussions