Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

anyone noticed the price hikes lately?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 60 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 14, 2013 12:56:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 12:58:04 PM PDT
turkish says:
up until a couple of weeks ago, generally speaking non 3D new releases would be 19.99 for the first release week on amazon and bestbuy. (dark knight rises, spider man etc etc) recently I have realized thats not the case anymore. now the new sweet spot for the first week seems to be 22.99. it started with first week release of Argo. now continues with Les Miserables, Hitchcock, Zero Dark thirty.

something tells me now, we are victim of inflation. and 19.99 new release sweet spot is a thing of the past.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 10:11:04 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 14, 2013 10:56:21 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 5:15:37 AM PDT
Treyvalyn says:
I have noticed higher prices but I have also noticed that most of those $19.99 prices you described were also around the holidays. I'd wait and see the closer we get to this fall / winter. Again that's just my observations.

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 8:08:38 AM PDT
DGD says:
I've noticed as well. I've saved a little cash by passing on purchases.

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 8:18:48 AM PDT
sparta man says:
Unless it a must buy on release day, eg, Wreck it Ralph (have coupon), I usually wait for prices to go down or buy it used.

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 8:53:01 AM PDT
geno de says:
It could be because of spring break. I have noticed that prices go up two weeks before major time-off/holiday comes around.

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 9:29:09 AM PDT
mark e says:
As competition declines, and supply goes down, demand increases, therefore prices increase.

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 10:19:37 AM PDT
turkish says:
I know Bestbuy has been hurting as far as the business goes. but sure hope sticks around for a while. Amazon usually drops their prices only after Bestbuy does. if bestbuy was out of business, Amazon would have no reason to go low

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 10:43:47 AM PDT
Sylo says:
No way I'm paying $25 for a bare bones bluray. I understand a premium for 3D but regular bluray? Hell no.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2013 12:14:09 AM PDT
Kerry.b says:
well I think its because these movies that are coming onto blu ray soon,is that only 3 weeks ago it was the Oscars,and I think that's why amazon decided to put up the price on recently nominated movies and winners to see if people around the world will buy these movies on blu ray and try and make a profit on selling them..thats my thought...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2013 12:17:48 AM PDT
Kerry.b says:
hey $25 is not bad for a new release movie on blu ray dude..and also you guys get free shipping as well..

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2013 3:51:59 AM PDT
SR26 says:
yea free shipping that takes a week for them to ship it out. my order is not even at the shipping soon status yet and its been a WEEK what the hell is going on with amazon. I used to buy so much stuff on here but things like this are turning me away.

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 9:03:28 AM PDT
Sylo says:
I've been buying blurays since they first came out. 22-25 was a premium price. Theres no reason they have to cost this much anymore. Bullspit pricing.

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 9:56:48 PM PDT
K. A. Jones says:
Why the surprise? Gas and fuel charges have stayed high. It's stayed over $3+ a gallon now going on 3 years. Diesel costs are even higher. UPS announced new rates effective Dec 31,2012. Places like Amazon to UPS have seen their healthcare rates go up. Inflation fears are around because we have a Fed that's basically printing and handing out $85 Billion a month to prop up Wall Street. And I hate to say, it's not just DVD's and BR's either. Take a walk at Home Depot or the local grocery store lately? Next time just Google..."Food prices to go up"..."Shipping costs to go up"..."health care preminums to go up"...and see how many hits and the dates. Sorry guys...everything is going up.

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 5:06:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2013 5:06:44 AM PDT
Sylo says:
Well then I'm waiting for sale prices. A movie like DREDD is brand new, $19.99 and comes with 3D.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 12:52:04 PM PDT
the reason the price hikes..AMAZON and Best buy are now price matching...this id horrible for the consumer..and if AMAZON doesn't wisen up and lower there prices like they use to there business is going to be hurt substancially.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 2:45:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2013 2:47:28 PM PDT
turkish says:
amazon price matched bestbuy prices for a while now. its nothing new. the only difference is, bestbuy used to release new titles at 19.99 now their prices have risen a bit, so amazon matches to the new sweet spot of bestbuys price, 22.99

zero dark thirty. 22.99 in both stores. if bestbuy was to release it at 19.99 the price would be the same at amazon. the only reason we are even getting 22 bucks is because of the competition. I only hope bestbuy doesnt go out of business anytime soon. we would be on the mercy of amazon, and the price set by their whim.

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 9:54:15 PM PDT
I also think its because they also include the crap like a DVD version and Ultraviolet as the reason the prices are higher. I would like to see an Bluray only version where I do not have to also have the DVD version also or a streamed copy. It seems that every new release now has to include a DVD copy and streaming/digital copy also.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 3:16:43 AM PDT
Kerry.b says:
yeah I agree with you on that one Donnie adkins..ever since movie studios are releasing blu ray combo packs,that is why the price is high in your country..but hey in my country we pay full price here for a new release blur ray at $39.99 and $43.99 for a combo pack..thats why I buy from amazon,cos its soooooo cheap to buy...

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 7:19:50 PM PDT
Nelson Sorto says:
This has nothing to do with DVD add ons or Ultra Violet, digital copies. Its all about $Money$ Plain and simple. Blurays have been coming out for YEARS with dvd's and digital copies and the prices where much lower. Its supply and demand simple as that. If we as the consumer are willing to pay $20,$25, or $30 for a bluray movie..then thats what they will charge us...they will continue to go up and up, until it becomes financially impossible to do so.

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 7:49:42 PM PDT
I think this happens every year. Blu-ray prices seem to drop end of Q3-Q4. At least, I feel as if I observed the same thing last year, price increasing after holiday sales, after February, and then dropping again by the end of the year. It might be cyclical.

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 11:02:16 AM PDT
Rainman208 says:
I noticed it this week with The Hobbit & Zero Dark Thirty. No matter. With everyone selling combo packs I just go to Ebay and get one w/o the DVD for $15 or less most times. Problem solved.

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 12:19:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2013 12:20:40 PM PDT
This is why I buy used.
I have no desire or need whatsoever to have a BR release the millisecond it comes out.
So far I've picked up 21 titles over the last few weeks for 5.00 each, give or take - there's just no reason to pay more IMO....
Patience does pay! :0)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 12:19:44 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 22, 2013 2:14:23 AM PDT]

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 12:31:48 PM PDT
Frank says:
At least This is 40 Blu-Ray release is only 19.99. I honestly wish they sold a blu ray only disc for 14.99 instead of all the 2-packs
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  33
Total posts:  60
Initial post:  Mar 14, 2013
Latest post:  May 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions