Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

Do you guys like Slipcases with your BRs?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 69 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 29, 2014 10:59:14 PM PDT
sure, but if its not there. then I don't care.
I would not spend money to get one either. unless it was a 3d one.

Posted on May 13, 2014 9:21:26 PM PDT
I feel like talking about OCD. But I'll wait a year and a half before I do.

Posted on May 13, 2014 8:29:35 AM PDT
Slipcases often have a higher printing quality because the paper is more durable and thick compared to the cover insert on the jewel case. I collect Blu rays and DVDs so for me a slip case is essential. embossed typography, die cut, holographic nuisances, all adds to the packaging design of the product and adds legibility to the spine. Often times, the slip case will include different art than the jewel cover. For me it is a must, if not I could just download movies off the internet but I have to feel it and have it in my hands. Amazon shipped me a DVD of Summer Wars, and it came with the slipcase. I ordered the Blu ray and it didn't. I am on my third replacement with Amazon Customer Service about this issue, and before the warehouse ships the next replacement, I will get confirmation whether the products in the warehouse contain slipcases.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 11:37:43 PM PST
I found the Incredible Hulk BR with the 3D slipcover at a record store for $9.99, just tonight. I already have the movie, but I figured this was a rare chance to have this cover and add it to my marvel movies

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 10:04:06 PM PST
G. Swanson says:
The down side of the redundant slip cases is they take up shelf space. Reduces the amount you can fit on a shelf. If you have a lot of Blu-rays space is the final frontier.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 9:44:53 AM PST
I always remove those, but keep the sheet. Usually the back of the box has a nice image covered by that paper, so its worth removing. If the paper is larger than the box, I'll remove the sticky gum, carefully fold at an appropriate spot and slide it into the box, that way I always have it as reference.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 9:42:46 AM PST
LOL... I have done that before. Saw a movie I already owned, but it had a cover. So I bought it, kept the cover, and just returned the movie. I've even asked customer service if I could just have the cover of a movie, at Best Buy, and they said go ahead and take it. haha that was nice.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 9:41:04 AM PST
damn, were did you get a slipcover for Gran Torino??? I have never seen that. Also, if you have trouble removing the sticker - remove what you can without tearing anything, then take a napkin soaked in a little lighter fluid and rub the sticker. you'll be able to easily pull it off then (sometimes I use the edge of a credit card to work it a little). then just wipe off the excess fluid if any, and your cover looks brand new with no stickers!! I once got once from Best Buy and the sticker was such a nightmare, even with the adhesive remover, that it tore the case. I took it back and exchanged it - the girl gave me a look, "why do you care that the cover is torn?"...some people just don't get it. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 9:38:14 AM PST
i am major OCD, and I cant have them on my shelf without the covers! lol the opposite of you. I hate seeing the bare plastic spine, the cover looks alot nicer, like a book.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 9:37:27 AM PST
I agree, steelbooks are way better. Digibooks are nice too. I hate it when its covered with stickers - I take the time to carefully peel them off. If they tear, I use a little lighter fluid on a napkin and rub it off till it looks brand new again.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 9:36:11 AM PST
I love getting a slipcase. I will search around until I find a version with the case, since it seems like employees at stores like to hoard them. I love special slipcases, like plastic collectible ones, or just a simple carboard one that has Oscar info or something else on it. makes it a much more valuable member of my library if it has a nice looking case and not just the blue plastic blu-ray case.

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 5:11:42 PM PST
Robert101 says:
I don't like the extra step to take out the disc when I wanna watch a movie. And I hate when the plastic gets caught on the edges of the space where the bar-code is.

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 1:07:06 PM PST
P. White says:
I like slipcases because mostly they add something to the package. Most often they have additional artwork that makes the product more than the basic plastic box. They also allow the designers to use borders other than blue (that is dictated for the plastic box) and other colours don't have to fit in with the blue theme. As has been stated, lenticular covers or other features not possible on the plastic box are added value. I NEVER throw my slip covers away, they are part of the package and designed to be on the disc box. I'm a collector as much as a watcher (both avid) though so I declare a bias.
HOWEVER: slipcases drive me nuts! Every 3rd one I get from Amazon is bashed or dented and as a collector (see above) that is a pain in the behind. I can't tolerate it and have gone through 4 replacements on occasion to get a good one. So, for the reason that they are desperately fragile and difficult to keep in original condition, I say rid the world of them. If there were none to collect I wouldn't miss them. As there ARE some to collect then I feel duty bound to do so ...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2013 7:56:45 PM PST
Thanks, Dave.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2013 7:50:45 PM PST
Elder Dave says:
Scratches, my dear Baron, scratches on the jewel case. If it falls to a hard floor, the cover may absorb some of the shock and prevent cracks or a breaking of the hinges. Really. I'm not being sardonic. I just happen to like my 3-D slipcovers, my car's slipcovers, my sofa's slipcover. In their own way, they enrich my experience. Just my opinion. Be well.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2013 7:37:55 PM PST
Re: I'm sure slipcovers are meant to do what every slipcover does: protect what it's covering.

In all seriousness: I didn't know movie disc cases were fragile and needed protection. Now, a VHS tape, that makes sense, since a section of that could pop open and render the tape vulnerable. (But now I'm dating myself, lol...)

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 7:20:27 PM PST
Elder Dave says:
Just a note: the slipcover on Top Gun 3-D is one anyone who likes slipcovers should have. Great lenticular 3-D. I'm sure slipcovers are meant to do what every slipcover does: protect what it's covering. Mine stay with the BD and go on the shelf. Fun to take them down and enjoy them while getting out the BD to play. The ones for 3DBD's are great.I make the space for them.

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 6:40:03 PM PST
K. Hall says:
I like the slipcovers, they make all the spines of my movie collection line up nice and square. Also they add a bit of width which helps with uniformity as my film collection still contains standard DVDs (talk about OCD). With DVDs, I think the slip covers are more appealing to the eye than traditional DVD packaging. I even e-mailed Buena Vista when my X-Men Animated Series DVDs (ordered from Amazon) did not arrive with the 3D slip covers and they mailed me a set :)

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 5:48:29 PM PST
I just discovered this topic and have to ask:
What is the purpose of the slipcase/cover if they are the same graphics as the actual plastic case itself?

(By the way, those redundant sleeves go right into a shoebox with all the others. They are useless to me.)

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 5:02:45 PM PST
skychicken69 says:
OK my quips with slipcovers are they take up more room on my dvd rack so the rows do not hold the same amout of dvds. they often don't add any value to the dvd packaging it takes longer for me to get the dvd out and are easily ripped bent ect. for the positive they save the box from sticker happy people. alternate artwork is cool 3-d covers can be great. over all I generally just toss them adding to recycling bin.

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 11:48:13 AM PST
K. Klear says:
I like em' I have a large collection shelved on four walls. Its nice to be able to pull the movie and leave the slipcase in its spot lying sideways while the movie is out. Makes it nice and easy to put it back in its correct spot. No slipcase? I'm using a blank envelope for a marker...Not as cool!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 10:27:39 AM PST
Waste of trees.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 11:48:32 AM PST
Jeff Shultz says:
If you have enough titles, you find slipcovers waste shelf space and oddball packaging to be impossible to use with a shelving "system" that is engineered for comparability with a regular keep case. All that "stuff" adds to the cost plus the studios think if they give us weird packaging, it justifies higher prices. They can keep all of the "stuff"; just provide superior disc quality.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 5:22:14 PM PST
Georgedc says:
Read the ENTIRE post carefully.

".....as a LIMITED EDITION "steelbook"

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 8:59:36 PM PST
turkish says:
"steelbook" has artistic value and many times, a collector's/financial value in the future."

i disagree. it is rare that any movie in any format gains value. (dvd, laser disc, vhs) the only time you will be able to make profit, is if you score a very limited special edition run like one of those twilight time releases, or you have a limited print Korean Steel copy. etc etc. all other times, be prepared to lose money as soon as you open the wrapper.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  47
Total posts:  69
Initial post:  Sep 8, 2009
Latest post:  May 29, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions