UV Digital Copy Hate

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 296 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 4:13:38 AM PDT
Most new titles can also be redeemed directly through Vudu

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 2:21:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 6, 2012 2:27:53 AM PDT
D. Knox says:
@JMM You mention Vudu, HD, and UV in the same post. I must clarify for my fellow UV copy haters that the UV copy is Standard Definition. If you want HD 720p or HDX 1080p you have to pay 19.99 on top of the fact that you already have a physical BD/DVD. Vudu is handy for watching my UV (not by choice UV sucks) as I have it on mutiple streaming devices, but the picture quality is poor and iTunes 480p/i copies not only offer better quality, a physical copy on my computer, they also have the movies extras to boot. Flixster/UV/VUDU/WB is garbage compared to the digital copies apple provides. Yes they all contain DRM but I don't have to worry about playing back movies on my iPad or iPhone in a plan or in the Philippine bush because I don't have internet connectivity. KILL UV, Disney is doing the right thing no supporting UV and all other film companies should give you the choice.

I was told by email and on the phone about how UV was so great and the wave of the future, and also told that Apple's iTunes digital copies were inferior. If this is true all they need to do is: Every release should give you a choice either or not both, let the consumer chose where to download the movies from, or choose the "in the cloud" (fart cloud if you ask me), and let the market decide. If UV copies are so great give us a clear choice button 1 UV, Button 2, traditional digital copy (i.e. Apple's iTunes, or Windows version) and then your customers will stop the hate and 1 star reviews of 5 star movies because UV digital copies and Flixster are being shoved down our throats.

@C. J. Roebuck The Vudu copies are SD and poor quality to boot. (I have 10 UV streaming copies, involuntarily if I may say). Otherwise anything other then a rental is $19.99 to "own" 720p or a 1080p copy for exact the same price. Beware.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 4:05:04 AM PDT
Sorry dude but you're mistaken. Not all UV copies are SD, that is dependent on the studio not Vudu. I have 12 UV copies all in HD (obtained from bluray discs) and roughly 80 movies in HD from Disc to Digital. Also all of my family members in my UV group can stream and download these movies in HD. If you want a list of movies and their qualities then check this thread on the Vudu forum.
http://forum.vudu.com/showthread.php?t=202551

You have to pay $19.99 with iTunes for HD, if the studio releases a movie and only allows SD for the DC then you will also have to pay $19.99 to own the HD copy if you want it. Regarding the movie extras, some Vudu titles come with them and some do not. I think only my Hunger Games came with extras so far. I dont think that is a reason not to support UV, when UV is only a FREE COPY of the FEATURE FILM. If you need extras then you should whip out your disc.

Flixster,...i dont really use it. I tried it on my Evo 3D and it worked but i really didnt care to watch a full length movie on my phone. Up until two weeks ago, Flixster (WB) was only giving out SD copies of movies redeemed from/by them. The Vudu app on my wifes iphone was very slick though.

Most recent movie releases have included the options for UV, DC, and Amazon copy. Movies i know that gave this option are: Safe House, Contraband, 21 Jump Street, Hunger Games. The link above goes into more detail about other movies. No one is shoving anything down your throat, you have options now. More importantly the millions of owners of Android devices can now view their purchased movies on their devices as well and not be shoved into iTunes.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 7:36:11 PM PDT
JMM says:
@ D. Knox

"I must clarify for my fellow UV copy haters that the UV copy is Standard Definition."

That is not always the case. I currently have about 50 UV movies in my Vudu collection, and more than half are in HD or HDX format.

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 9:52:35 AM PDT
A M says:
"Yes they all contain DRM but I don't have to worry about playing back movies on my iPad or iPhone in a plan or in the Philippine bush because I don't have internet connectivity."

First of all, everyone seems to forget that UV copies can be downloaded to a device and watched without the internet.

Second, how often are you going to be in a place where you are without the internet and happen to want to watch some movie that you already own a again? Most people watch a movie once and then never again. Unless it is a kids movie you want to use to appease your child.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 9:58:56 AM PDT
"Second, how often are you going to be in a place where you are without the internet and happen to want to watch some movie that you already own a again?"

Airport/airplane, doctors office, hospital, BMV or any government waiting room, bus, train, subway, stationary bike or treadmill at the gym...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 10:03:38 AM PDT
Even if you do this whats the difference between a UV copy and an itunes copy. They both need to be downloaded or transferred and more than likely you wont have enough room on your device for more than 4-5 movies at once. So you would be switching them on and off the device anyway.

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 10:22:23 AM PDT
JMM says:
The point is that UV and iTunes are similar in some ways in different in others. But both formats can be very useful. I understand that people who have accumulated many movies in iTunes would be hesitant to change, and that the studios haven't always make the best choices when it comes to implementing UV. But rather than complain about these things, I have simply accepted the fact that UV is probably here to stay and I've learned how to make use of it.

All of this digital copy talk is blown out of proportion anyway, given that digital copies are a bonus included with the purchase of a disc. So if your primary reason for purchasing a DVD or blu-ray is to obtain a digital copy, then you are likely missing the point completely. If your main concern is to have a digital copy, I'd suggest buying/renting directly from iTunes, Vudu, or another VOD service - that way you can be sure to have it in the format you want.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 10:34:32 AM PDT
I agree with this message :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 11:07:19 AM PDT
A M says:
Airport/airplane, doctors office, hospital, BMV or any government waiting room, bus, train, subway, stationary bike or treadmill at the gym...

And in all of those situations, I would prefer to watch something new.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 11:13:24 AM PDT
I would prefer to people watch while listening to music.

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 8:35:15 PM PDT
D. Knox says:
I prefer pocket pool.

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 11:34:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 8, 2012 12:38:02 AM PDT
I prefer to watch classics, you know, something at least 18 years old, preferably with a fair amount of action. Foreign flicks do alright, Mexican, Indian, although they excel as an international collaboration.

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 9:39:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 8, 2012 9:50:33 AM PDT
awarlock says:
I hate Ultraviolet/Flixster/Sony as well. Apples iTunes has it all worked out perfectly. Maybe Amazon is OK, haven't tried it. Maybe Vudu is OK, haven't tried it. The rest I have seen and have more or less been forced to use, simply blow. I have an Apple TV so when I buy a Blu-Ray movie with Digital Copy iTunes, I type the code in and it works on everything. My desktop, laptop, iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, etc. I go to my Apple account and the movie shows up as a purchased movie!! I can get on my Apple TV, the new Blu-Ray purchase shows up in my movies purchased selection and I can stream it to my TV in 1080p. I have over 60 movies now attached to my iTunes account purchased via Blu-Rays. Once again, these movies show as purchased, so I assume, that as long as Apple is in business, I will have these movies forever!!

Right now, I am on my Ultraviolet account. Colombiana, for instance, was purchased on Blu-Ray and added to Ultraviolet. If I click on "Get A Copy", it says "Limited Availability, Check With Your Retailer". If I want to stream my movie, I have to login in a Sony website. So I am sitting here, number 1, thinking I don't watch movies on my computer!! The reason I bought a 72" Mitsubishi is to watch movies on my big screen!! Not on my computer monitor!! Number 2, I can't even watch the movie in HD!! I get this message "According to the rules set by the content provider, we can deliver high definition (HD) content to PCs, but not to computers running Apple MAC OS operating system!! Gee, so far, why would I hate this?? The same exact thing is true of these Sony movies as well - Lockout, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark, Underworld Awakening, and The Woman In Black. If I chose to download these movies, first it is horribly slow, it will probably take an hour or two, (I have a 10meg d/l connection) plus then it downloads the movie in some sort of horrible multiple file configuration that can only be played by some loser Sony Video Player that can not be used to displayed via my Apple TV to my big screen!!

OK, now lets talk about Flixster!! I recently purchased the first season of Falling Skies (the TNT TV series) on Blu-Ray w/Ultraviolet-Flixster. I am on the Ultraviolet website again. If I click "Get A Copy", I get the same "Limited Availability - Check With Your Retailer" (I don't even know what the hell that means or what I am supposed to do!!) If I click "Steam Now" it takes me to the Flixster website, where I can click on a number of movies. I select Colombiana again and immediately get some pop up screen telling me I can share movies on Facebook! I don't care, get this off of my screen!! If I select "Watch Now" yea, the movie starts streaming on my computer, but gee I want to watch this on my Big Screen, so I am screwed again. If I attempt to download, it uses that Sony Movie Player that downloads some version that is not even compatible with my iPad. I suppose Sony has some app for iPad that plays it but I haven't even tried that.

The point is Apple has developed as perfect a solution as possible where the Digital Copy iTunes ties a purchased Blu-Ray to your Apple iTunes account and you can truly and easily download the movie to your desktop, iPad, iPod, iPhone, etc. plus you can steam it to all of these devices plus if you have an Apple TV you can stream it to your TV via HDMI and in 1080p as well, in most cases.

The other solutions, Flixster, Ultraviolet, Sony, etc. have you bouncing from one web site to another, from one branded movie player to another, and the whole experience is lacking in so many ways, it is extremely hard to explain all of the frustrations one can encounter. This is just another example of Apple doing something right and other companies trying to emulate what they do and other companies doing it very poorly, in my opinion.

From what I have seen, Universal and Apple have worked very well together, in most cases, to provide Digital Copies iTunes versions. My suggestions, to all movie companies, is if want to provide Flixster version, Sony versions, etc., that is fine for those people that want to use them, but at least give us original iTunes Digital Copy users, the option to use iTunes as well. We are now being subjected to use these other version, if we want some sort of digital access, and in most cases, they just suck!

I have now noticed some new Blu Rays that offer some sort of digital version now even state whether they are compatible with iTunes or not so you have to know these movie companies are getting complaints from iTunes users like myself to the point where they are now printing on the Blu Ray case or DVD case whether it works with iTunes or not.

Movie companies have to screw with something that more or less worked perfectly and screw it all up. The major benefit of iTunes Digital Copy is that it shows up on your iTunes account as a purchased movie!! Even is something happens to the original Blu Ray, it should always be there on your iTunes account to access. That is what cloud based delivery is all about.

The last thing is that it would be nice to be able to tie Digital Copies to different formats as well. What if someone that has an iPad wants to switch to another digital device such as an Amazon Kindle Fire? Usually, when you register a Digital Copy, you have to tie that Redemption Code to a particular format such as iTunes or Amazon. You don't have the option to tie it to both so that you can switch or use multiple devices. If you ever decide to use the Amazon Kindle HD, which I personally probably wouldn't since my experience is all about streaming to my Big Screen, you are kinda hosed or would have to purchase the digital versions all over again.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 7:57:46 AM PDT
When UltraViolet began to replace iTunes digital copies I was pissed. The site was a pain in the ass. After registering with UV, I'd go back to either Flixter or Sony's site to enter my code and it would ask to confirm my UV ID. I'd enter my username and password and I'd get an error message saying that my info was invalid. I tried over and over again and finally gave up. I emailed UV and requested that my password be reset. It took them a month to respond and ran into the exact same problem. I emailed UV again and at least they answered in two weeks this time. The issue turned out to be that I was using Internet Explorer 8 and it has issues when you try to connect Flixter with UV(ARRGGHH!!) So I used Chrome instead and finally I was able to redeem my UV copies. Since then, Flixter has made it easier to redeem your codes on their site without having to log in multiple times, except Paramount UV copies. Depending on the film, you get HD copies to stream(Every Sony copy has been HD so far). I'll admit that I preferred iTunes copies over UV when the format was first introduced. But now I'm really coming around to the UV format. I'll always prefer to have a download on my computer that doesn't require an internet connection to play them, but it's nice to stream a movie through my PS3 that isn't taking up hard drive space.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 2:14:30 PM PDT
munkyBeatz says:
"I hate Ultraviolet/Flixster/Sony as well. Apples iTunes has it all worked out perfectly. Maybe Amazon is OK, haven't tried it. Maybe Vudu is OK, haven't tried it. I have an Apple TV so when I buy a Blu-Ray movie with Digital Copy iTunes, I can get on my Apple TV, the new Blu-Ray purchase shows up in my movies purchased selection and I can stream it to my TV in 1080p." - awarlock

So from the beginning of this thread last year, to now, it seems the only people that are upset about the UV format is Apple/iTunes users. This is NOT the complete fault of the studio for iTunes not supporting UV format. You do understand that Apple has a stranglehold on every single piece of it's operation right? So, when/if it gets released to support iTUnes is mostly up to Apple.

"If I want to stream my movie, I have to login in a Sony website. So I am sitting here, number 1, thinking I don't watch movies on my computer!! The reason I bought a 72" Mitsubishi is to watch movies on my big screen!! Not on my computer monitor!! Number 2, I can't even watch the movie in HD!! I get this message "According to the rules set by the content provider, we can deliver high definition (HD) content to PCs, but not to computers running Apple MAC OS operating system!! " - awarlock

Ok, this statement just seems stupid. "reason I bought 72".....". If you are sitting @ home and wanting to watch a movie on your Tv, why on earth are you wanting to stream the movie anyways? You've got the freaking physical disc in your home dont you? As for the Mac OS, again it has to do with Apple's stranglehold on items available via their appstore/itunes/etc.

"The last thing is that it would be nice to be able to tie Digital Copies to different formats as well. What if someone that has an iPad wants to switch to another digital device such as an Amazon Kindle Fire? " - awarlock

Ok, so in beginning of thread you whine about wanting UV to work with iTunes and how it should stay as is with digital copies, and it's stupid that it doesn't right? Then here at the end, you complain that with Digital copies you have to choose a single format. So, the idea behind UV being a Universal Standard between devices/studioes doesn't appeal to you?

Lastly, it seems that people that "only" use apple devices need to understand that apple isn't the only company selling devices, and there are people that don't want/have itunes on their computer period. Apple is HIGHLY restrictive and controlling on any content that is allowed on their software/devices. Anyone who thinks differently is being naive. Check next thread for my Pros/Cons..

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 3:04:34 PM PDT
munkyBeatz says:
I just felt i needed to post a reply to this thread to update people with the "real" info regarding UV and it's current state as of September 2012. To people coming to this thread never having dealt with UV before, you need to understand that UltraViolet is still in it's infancy and in the process of "Roll-Out". So, when this thread began it was still in the "alpha or beta" public use stage. Now, it's become more refined and the implementation kinks are being worked out. I've posted a few corrections to many of the posts below:

"You have to login and download multiple apps to stream your UV movie."
-No, at least not anymore now. When you get a UV code along with a DVD/Bluray you purchase, you do have to go to the site listed on that form for some titles. However, once you've activated a UV title, it is immediately available in all the UV apps/sites. For instance, I bought Hunger Games/The Raid. I had to go to sony to activate The Raid, then immediately I logged in to Vudu and it was avialable to stream in HDX. I then went and logged into Flixster and it was also available there. The same was true with Hunger Games, except since I bought it from Amazon, they also had a copy of Hunger Games in amazon.
-I've only been using UV for the last 2 weeks. And, all you have to do to get the UV titles in whatever account you want to use right now [e.g. Vudu/Flixster] is to link that account to your UV account. Then voila, any UV title you activate will be available immediately under that service.
-Also, to stream the UV title on computer you do NOT have to download any app at all. You can stream from your browser. As for mobile devices, yes you will need one of those services apps, big whoop. Pick the service you like/use the most whether it be Vudu or Flixster.

"You can ONLY wathc an SD version"
-Not true, as every title in my UV collection so far is in either HD or HDX quality

As of September 2012:

Pros:
1.] You can stream your UV titles across multiple devices and formats such as PlayStation3/Xbox/Smart BluRay Players/GoogleTv/Android/Windows Mobile/Etc.
2.] You do NOT have to purchase a dvd/bluray combo with UltraViolet. Titles packed with UV, always have the option to purchase it without a UV copy, and the UV copy is in addition to your physical purchase whether dvd/bluray.
3.] You can have up to 6 completly seperate logins/users access your UV collection. In addition to yourself, you can make 5 different logins to share your UV collection with family members or friends, and the main account can restrict what the additional accounts can do/access, like parental controls. No other digital type will allow for multiple users.
4.] You can add "old" movies to your UV account with disc-to-digital. Currently only Walmart and Samsung smart bluray players can do this, and they only offer about 6,000 titles at the moment for this, but it's growing constantly.
-What other digital copy/format/service will allow you to add older movies that you purchased without a digital copy? You can take your dvd/bluray movies to walmart and for $2 bucks add them to your UV collection. People shouldn't complain about the $2 fee to add to their UV collection, because 1, you do NOT have to get your older movies added. And 2, currently the ONLY way you can get a digital copy to stream of a dvd/bluray you previously purchased that did not come with a digital copy, is to pay the full price for a digital copy. [E.g. $14 bucks to purchase it on iTunes/Amazon/Etc.].
5.] You can login to a UV enabled account from just about anywhere and stream movies from your collection.
- A good example for what I mean here is this. You go to a friends house, or are out of town, and you want to watch say "Hunger Games". Your friend doesn't own it, and you haven't put a digital copy on your phone/mobile device. With ultraviolet, you could login to Flixster/Etc from their computer and watch the movie for free rather than having to go and rent the movie just to watch it since you didn't plan on needing it there.

Cons:
1.] UV is currently in it's infancy and implementation stage. So all the major studios/companies have completely come on board to make this universal Standard implemented completely the way it is/was intended. However, they are on their way.
2.] UV redemption codes that come with a physical DVD/Bluray purhcase do have an expiration date just like digital copy codes. [The redemption codes are the only thing that expires, not the UV copy that you claim. Digital copies are the same, if you purchase a new DVD/Bluray with a digital copy code, it can sometimes have a code that's already expired since it was released a year or two before you purhcased it] - I don't think these codes should expire.

I've typed a lot so I just want to summize my main points. UV is still being rolled out, but as for the final/end result that UV will be, it's going to be much better than just getting a digital version that you have to download completely and copy to many devices to watch. The ability to stream your collection without downloading a huge file and then having to move to a phone/tablet/etc is a lot nicer when you have internet access. Then when you know you won't have internet access, the ability to download that file and put it on those devices is still there. However, with downloading the movies you can't have ALL the movies in your collection and it's not really a good point to say "you can't stream without internet, or when your not around internet". Even with the current digital formats, you can only add so many movies to your phone, as you have limited space. Everyone should understand that UltraViolet is an attempt to add an industry STANDARD to digital movie collections. It is extremely hard to get an industry standard implemented, especially when it involves so many huge companies like the movie industry. Currently there is no single standard in this arena, and the move to create one is completely ideal. Given more time to grow, the UV standard will be a good move for the industry and the customers. You should understand that many titles have only just recently started releasing with a UV code/option. Plus, everyone should understand that you are NOT forced to purchase a dvd/bluray with a UV copy, and every single title that is sold with a UV code/option also has a copy that does NOT have it, for those who don't want it. Complaining about the UV copy, is the equivalent to complaining about a bluray that's "extended/unrated version, with behind the scenes/etc." You don't have to purchase that version, as there is always a version without that. Also, the UV is great as the titles that include it are only a few dollars more in most cases, like $2-3buks at BestBuy and Amazon. All in all, if you don't want UV don't buy it or use it; and don't blame the studios for it not being available to work with iTunes. Instead you should be complaining to Apple about not having UV collections available. Anyone that thinks Apple doesn't completley control every aspect of their operations, is being naive. Just look at the appstore, every single app that's available on the appstore has to be approved by Apple. Yet, on the Google Play market for android, that's not the case.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2012 6:08:14 AM PDT
Bourne1886 says:
"The last thing is that it would be nice to be able to tie Digital Copies to different formats as well. What if someone that has an iPad wants to switch to another digital device such as an Amazon Kindle Fire? Usually, when you register a Digital Copy, you have to tie that Redemption Code to a particular format such as iTunes or Amazon. You don't have the option to tie it to both so that you can switch or use multiple devices. If you ever decide to use the Amazon Kindle HD, which I personally probably wouldn't since my experience is all about streaming to my Big Screen, you are kinda hosed or would have to purchase the digital versions all over again."

Yes you can use different platforms,that's the whole point of Flixster. Install the Flixster app on your iPad, Android devices etc and you can watch them. It's so easy. So when you say you can't, you can.

I'm an Apple customer, but I see the sense in UV because you are not restricted to one platform. Not all people want iTunes!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2012 6:15:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 20, 2012 6:28:22 AM PDT
Bourne1886 says:
Excellent explanation.

I'm an apple iTunes customer because I choose to be. I consider it a bit of a niche service/luxury. But UV is a brilliant idea because you are not restricted to Apple. A lot of people out there in the world don't want Apple products or can afford them. UV is great because it is available to everybody no matter what device they have. As it develops I think all the doubters will come round and see the benefits it has to offer. It's just as easy to use as iTunes and i can watch UV films on all my devices because when I log into my Flixster App/ Account all my films are there just like my iTunes account. I only need to use my Flixster account to redeem my codes and watch them. I do not need to log into my UV account or any other for that matter.

Your entry makes perfect sense and dispels all the myths and rubbish that certain people are writing just because they can't have their own way. Their point of view is selfish! Throwing their Teddies out of theirs prams won't make any difference.

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 6:29:51 AM PDT
bart927 says:
I'm not pro or con apple either, I'm just not thrilled with UltraViolet NOT letting me actually own something I purchased.

No matter how "better"' the UV system gets, it will never be more than just an over-glorified rental service.
That's where the studios want to push us. Eventually, digital copy will mean we will never own anything.

That's why there are ton and tons of log-ins to the different companies. You need permission and approval from all the studios to just play something YOU bought.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2012 6:52:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 20, 2012 6:55:20 AM PDT
Bourne1886 says:
No you don't need permission as you put it.
Let me explain.

1-I have a Flixster account. I log into that, just as i do on my itunes account,no difference. I do not need to log into Anything else!
2-I redeem my code and it's ready in my collection to watch whenever I want within seconds.
3-I have my Flixster Account/App on my iPad and phone. I can watch all my films on my devices. If I had an Android/Google phone or tablet I could also watch them on there aswell.
4-You do not need an Internet connection to watch your films. As with iTunes you download the film onto your device. It is stored on the memory of your device so you do not need an Internet connection. Until you remove that film it is on your device for as long as you want. No streaming involved, unless YOU choose to stream.
5-ITunes are just issuing download codes now. They are not providing discs with digital codes that you put in your computer and unlock with a code to transfer that digi copy into your iTunes account. Examples M: Impossible Ghost Protocol and Jaws. Both had download codes for iTunes. They did not come with separate digital copy discs with an unlock code. These are being phased out as it is a waste of a disc that is useless once the digi copy has been removed from said disc.
6-If Apple went bust you would loose all your films whether you owned them or not as they are stored by Apple in your iTunes account unless you downloaded them to your device (s). You can't watch your films on your computer unless your iTunes account is open anyway.
7- UV films do not expire, only the codes do just like iTunes. Once you have redeemed your UV code for your film it is yours.

All in all UV is a better option for the customer as they can be viewed and owned on non Apple devices aswell. Nothing wrong with that. It is more user friendly.

Does that make sense?

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 8:02:24 AM PDT
bart927 says:
Really? What you just described doesn't sound too friendly to me... and... you already have an account. If you are signing up for the first time, there are multiple levels of sign ons and cross references with multiple companies, i/e Universal and Sony, they have their own "separate area" and you get sent there to get permission. Besides, What do you think the flixster "app" does? It authorizes your usage.

I don't know why you cannot view the movies on your computer without itunes, (unless it is set as the default player or you don't have another player) I can using VLC or quicktime.

You also don't own something stuck to a specific device, if You can download the file from your device to your computer, and then put that same file on another device, then you might own something... but strictly downloading only to devices only, is not ownership.

..and If apple went bust? Again, not pro or con apple, but The same thing could happen to ANY cloud based system.
"Cloud" is a pretty name for server, and look at what happened to Go Daddy from last week, they were attacked and taken out for 7 hours... and that was only 1 guy. I don't trust ANYTHING cloud based.

UV is the better option just for the studios, they don't have to provide anything physical... so they don't even have to make anything , so it's win, win for them. So they can just "sell" the same file over and over.

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 8:33:11 AM PDT
Here's an issue you have not considered. iTunes will be around for a long, long time. This
Flixster/UV deal is just not flying with the vast majority of users. So I contend it will just vanish
as fast as a Microsoft product in the near future. And with it, your cloud library. Poof!

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 12:12:40 PM PDT
A M says:
"You also don't own something stuck to a specific device, if You can download the file from your device to your computer, and then put that same file on another device, then you might own something... but strictly downloading only to devices only, is not ownership."

This shows your limited understanding of technology. I downloaded a movie to my phone and then manually copied the file to my tablet (rather than re-downloading it) and it played there no problem. The downloaded file is not tied to that device.

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 1:03:52 PM PDT
bart927 says:
@A M, not sure if you realized it or not, but you proved my point and knowledge of technology to be correct. If You are able to transfer between devices, that is better than being locked into one specific device.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  110
Total posts:  296
Initial post:  Nov 22, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 8, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions