Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

Amazon now Charging Tax!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 738 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 5:52:59 PM PST
According to California state website, it is "tax evasion," I suggest you read up on it. the link is http://www.boe.ca.gov/ads/news06.htm You individually are responsible for paying the "use tax."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 5:55:45 PM PST
It was never "tax free." You just cheated the state of the "Use tax."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 5:59:22 PM PST
Indiana went to court to force Amazon to collect the sales tax that you were not paying as required by state law. Maybe you should read a newspaper or watch the news occasionally....

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 6:00:37 PM PST
You are just determined to be a tax cheat aren't you?

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 6:09:55 PM PST
Here's a question for those in the know: I bought some clothes from J Crew Factory the other day and saw that I was being charged for closer to 7.25% sales tax instead of the Los Angeles County 8.75% for where I live. I looked up where 7.25% came from and apparently that's the CA use tax rate, where individual counties could then add to that, up to 9.25%. So do out-of-state vendors only use the state rate, or did J Crew Factory just situate themselves in a CA county that doesn't add to the rate? I would still be a bit confused since I assumed they would use the rate where the customer resides.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 6:38:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2012 6:39:04 PM PST
Sure, they don't deserve one single penny from you...as long as you don't drive on roads or walk on sidewalks or expect street lights, traffic lights, road signs, etc. As long as you never use local beaches and parks, don't send your kids to public schools, have never and will never use the services of police and fire departments even when threatened with violence or flames. As long as you ignore your responsibility to even to pay for the services from which you benefit, not to mention contribute to your community as a whole, you shouldn't feel guilty at all.

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 6:57:20 PM PST
paper tiger says:
We have already established that it is not Amazon's fault and they had nothing to do with it, it all depends on your state.

The thing is how much of a difference it makes in your purchases. For example, I would usually jump on buying a Blu-ray for $19.99. However, now it's $21.19. Such a small amount more, however it does really add up. I have second guessed many of my purchases with Amazon, or my purchases altogether due to tax. Amazon was the place to go, now I shop around or wait for a sale. I find myself pre-ordering movies and game much less and just waiting a month a buying them used at half price.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 8:25:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2012 8:26:51 PM PST
stevign says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 8:47:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2012 8:48:07 PM PST
Gross oversimplifications and clichés are helpful, lol. Seriously, I don't have any problem with the sales tax in California. It's one of the highest in the nation but should probably be higher. Our city just agreed to increase our local sales tax in this past election, as our schools and fire fighters specifically would have faced drastic cuts without it, and our community as a whole values those things. Frankly, I'd rather live in a state in which we all pay in and benefit from better infrastructure, better schools, lower crime rate, etc. Maybe our communities struggle because we pay a lot less in taxes than most citizens in other developed countries. Just another possibility.

Democracy is not a choose-your-own-adventure story; it's majority rule. If you don't like how your politicians choose to allocate funds, it doesn't mean you get to avoid paying taxes. They are your elected officials. Work to vote them out or move elsewhere.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 9:06:41 PM PST
stevign says:
Sounds like you fit right in with those who ran your state into the dirt. Enjoy the descent.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 9:14:39 PM PST
Yeah, I'm one of those crazy people who wants my kid to go to a good school and for firefighters to come with their big trucks and hoses if my house is on fire. Sounds like you should relocate to a cardboard box in Korea or Mexico. Then your life would be perfect, and you'd have nothing left to complain about.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 10:50:56 PM PST
stevign says:
Talk about a lame argument, at least mine is backed up by facts. Yours on the other hand is the tired old excuse that your legislators only raise taxes to keep kids from starving, houses from burning down and policemen on the streets. Your entire state is on the verge of legal bankruptcy, how do you account for that? Oh, I know, it's all Bush's fault.

Bury your head in the sand if you wish but don't try and tell the rest of the country that we don't know "exactly" why you got to the pathetic state you're in. California and Washington are run by ideologues who have no idea how to run a state and balance a budget. If they were a CEO's hired to turn around a failing company, they would have been fired years ago. No one that incompetent stays in business that long without people like you who keep drinking the their Kool Aid.

re: "Sounds like you should relocate to a cardboard box in Korea or Mexico."

Wow, you really "are" wacked, that makes no sense to our argument at all. I think it's obvious you're going to keep repeating your Left-wing political mantra, so we should probably just drop it and you can get back to donating more than you owe on your taxes.... just to help out. You do that, right?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 11:08:12 PM PST
No excuses here. The local tax increase that I was talking about was legally bound to fund two specific things: our local fire department and our local schools. Reading comprehension is fun. You should try it sometime.

As for my glib suggestion to you, Korea and Mexico have the lowest tax rates in the world. If you like that, go try out their living conditions. Stop your lazy tax-evading whining and put your money where your mouth is. We won't miss you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 11:16:07 PM PST
Btw, clichés, oversimplifications, and run-on sentence rants ≠ "facts." Just fyi.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 12:03:11 AM PST
stevign says:
re: "Korea and Mexico have the lowest tax rates in the world. If you like that, go try out their living conditions."

So your solution is to have one of the very highest and vote for even more? You sound like an extremist, if someone doesn't like huge taxes, then they must be for the lowest in the world? I'm sorry for arguing with you and people like you, I'm afraid you're state and mine is doomed to repeat its mistakes.
I'm sure you're a nice person and you mean well but the the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. And unfortunately it's the unintended consequences of those failed idealogical policies that people have to live with afterwards; it crushes the spirit as well as the bank account. And with that, I'm retiring my side of the argument. See ya around.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 12:21:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2012 12:41:56 AM PST
Our tax rates in the U.S. are actually much lower than those in many other developed nations, which was part of my original point. Still, you're the one who explicitly claimed your state was not entitled to a "single penny" from you, regardless of all of the services you take from the state. You seem as though you don't value those services and would rather not pay for them at all, so I'm just encouraging you to think about what that would really be like. Thinking can be extreme, but it's also quite rewarding.

Why don't you take some time to read about all of those "free spirits" that are "benefitting" from low tax responsibilities in Korea and Mexico? Then compare the entrepreneurship, creativity, and standard of living of their people to those in places like Norway and the Netherlands where having the highest tax rates in the world have clearly "crushed spirits and bank accounts." Or you could just waste your time whining about how you're now being forced our of your comfort zone as a tax evader, someone who cares more about saving a few cents on a DVD purchase than he cares about the future of our nation.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 3:22:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2012 3:23:53 AM PST
MikeT says:
" Jonathan A. Chang says: ..... do out-of-state vendors only use the state rate? .... "

Yes

The real PITA is if your business is within the same state in which you are selling a product or service and you are required to keep track of and pay each individual county taxes and rates. Where I reside that means 88 different counties each with their own sales tax rate, and these rates change periodically (new taxes, rate increases or decreases, newly passed or expiring levies, etc...) It is truly an administration nightmare to keep up with them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 6:41:17 AM PST
A. Salcido says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 7:49:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2012 7:58:31 AM PST
You seem to be missing the point of the discussion entirely. Stevign says that he should not have to pay any state sales tax because he doesn't agree with all of the decisions of his state politicians. So you agree with this? You brought up the example of illegal immigrants and state services. First, we'll put aside the fact that all residents (legal and otherwise) pay state sales tax. You believe that because some illegal immigrants in my state may get state services, *I* should try to evade my legal tax obligation? Since I might not agree with my state's approach to this issue, I should just opt out?

My point is that this isn't the way democracy works. We have a system by which we've all agreed that we'll vote to determine our elected officials, and whoever gets the most votes will represent us in the government. This doesn't mean "your guy" will always win, and it doesn't even mean that if "your guy" does win he'll always make decisions you agree with. But democracy isn't À la carte. You don't get to pick and choose which state and federal budgetary items to which you personally are willing to contribute every time you pay taxes and earmark your tax dollars for only those specific things.

To put it in more basic terms, the fact that you don't agree with some of the decisions of your state politicians doesn't justify the fact that you're crapping all over your community and the future of our country as a whole when you deliberately evade your legal tax responsibilities. It's nice so many enjoyed it for so long here on Amazon, and it was fun while it lasted. But don't try to make tax evasion sound noble and stop whining about the fact that you're now going to have to work a little harder to be a law breaker.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 1:50:46 PM PST
stevign says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 8:05:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2012 8:06:22 AM PST
A. Salcido says:
Sorry for the confusion, but you mentioned that certain people are 'tax cheats' (your words). Since you live in a state that has a fair number of illegals, I was asking your opinion. You seem to give your opinion throughout this thread so I thought my question was fair game.

I noticed that you didn't answer the question.

By the way, please read Quill Corp v North Dakota. SCOTUS ruled that you CANNOT tax interstate sales without the store having a physical presence in the state. Amazon does not have this presence in Illinois so Amazon does not collect said taxes. SCOTUS ruled on this matter quite clearly.

Also, my senator Dick Durbin recognizes this issue and has introduced legislation to remedy this.
If anyone in IL was legally bound to pay Amazon sales tax on their IL1040, why does Durbin need to address it at all?

Lastly, illegals may pay sales tax, but they don't file state or federal tax forms do they? If so, it's likely to be with a false SSN.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 8:13:24 AM PST
bfore13 says:
"California and Washington are run by ideologues who have no idea how to run a state and balance a budget."

You seem to imply that CA and WA are the only states having financial troubles. There are many states, cities and municipalities facing similar financial difficulties. It was estimated that 40+ states would be facing deficits after 2012 and it isn't isolated those being run only by liberal politicians.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 1:06:16 PM PST
stevign says:
re: "You seem to imply that CA and WA are the only states having financial troubles"

I said "California and Washington", what's confusing about that?

re: "There are many states, cities and municipalities facing similar financial difficulties."

I'm aware of that but I was only addressing the problems in CA and WA because I live in one and she lives in the other.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 7:42:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2012 1:08:47 PM PST
Bad news for Massachusetts residents like myself

http://mobile.boston.com/art/35/businessupdates/2012/12/11/bezos/WQnr45OToz1PRMH7nLcPZM/story

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 8:55:54 AM PST
California not only collects taxes from its fine citizens but it also charges a recycling "fee" which means instead of the $16.00 in sales tax I have to pay for my purchase, I have to pay an addition $6.00 for the 7 inch Kindle Fire HD I want to buy for my son for Christmas. The fee grows depending on what size screen I buy, i.e., a 50 inch TV or a 20 inch computer screen, the fee would be more. Before CA started collection taxes from Amazon, I never had to pay this. So for CA we are now pay a lot more than taxes on some items.
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 30 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  270
Total posts:  738
Initial post:  Sep 1, 2012
Latest post:  23 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 23 customers

Search Customer Discussions