Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

Official Petition for Amazon to Separate Blu-ray Reviews from DVD Reviews

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 291 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 5, 2011 9:29:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 20, 2011 10:28:46 PM PST
Anders Blom says:
Official Petition for Amazon to Separate Blu-ray Reviews from DVD Reviews

Please click on the "YES" button in the bottom right hand corner of this post if you agree to the following.

What makes this official? Nothing, nothing at all.

However, if enough of us can get together to voice our opinions about this, then maybe Amazon will change their product pages.

Personally, I hate it when I search for information about a Blu-ray on Amazon and the only thing I can easily find are hundreds of reviews for the DVD version of the film.

Amazon needs to realize that a Blu-ray version of a film is far, far different than the DVD version and this difference warrants a separate page.

If you read this post and agree, then please respond to it with a simple "YES".

If enough of us do this then I can email Amazon to request them to view this page.

*UPDATE*

Please stay on topic.

I started a facebook group for this proposal, please show your support there too.

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=193154147367265&id=188074354543804

This is a thread in the Blu-ray community forum. This is a subject about blu-ray products for blu-ray enthusiast.

For the posters that only type "YES" or something positive or equivalent; I say: Thank You, that is exactly what WE are trying for, a clear concise message to Amazon's management. Amazon is a company that thrives BECAUSE of its customers, they NEED to care about OUR input, and they NEED to accommodate US.

Get out there and spread the word.

PLEASE CLICK ON THE YES BUTTON! ------------------------------------------------------------>>>>

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 9:36:58 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 1, 2011 1:42:17 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 9:54:00 AM PST
Anders Blom says:
I know this has been going on for years, I have been writing Amazon to try to change their ways.

I would like a separate PAGE, and I am sure all of you would appreciate a separate page and a separate review system. It's unfair to a product and the potential customer to see a Blu-ray receive a poor overall rating because of a bad DVD release; this deters sales for some people.

This isn't just a common occurrence with Blu-ray and DVD versions, but it actually and occasionally happens with film versions too, i.e. extended cuts.

But if you don't want to agree then type "NO".

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2011 9:57:40 AM PST
This ain't the only thing wrong with reviews. You need to overhaul the whole process. Let's delete the "political" posts that refer only to pricing (some of those issues are years old, yet the reviews stand because of the way something was priced in 2003 or even pre-order prices that were adjusted before release anyways) or the fact the product isn't what the want in the first place ("this is not the extended edition, waaaaaah").

Review the products, people, and put commentaries in the comments sections where they belong.

This one initiative is not enough to fix reviews, you will still have to sift through all the reviews to find the few coherent ones that apply to your point of view.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2011 10:01:56 AM PST
A/V guru says:
Amazon and Ebay don't listen.

Amazon has the same product description on each movie, VHS, Laserdisc(there are some used ones), dvd and BD. It will never change. Don't get us started on director's cuts, un-rated or anything else.

On Ebay, try looking up SACD and DVD-A sometime. Or TV's. Ebay has basically turned itself into an un-shop-able mess for electronics, unless you know exactly what you want.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2011 10:02:29 AM PST
Anders Blom says:
By the way, the blu-ray search within the reviews: SUCKS!

You can ONLY list the reviews in order from high to low or low to high, there's no "most helpful" ranking system, that way so you still have to search for a while.

You cant' read the entire review for all the reviews on the same page, you have to click on that review to bring it up on a separate page.

You have to click on each review to vote on the review.

It's a poor and inconvenient system and I think it should change.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2011 10:06:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2011 10:07:43 AM PST
A/V guru says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2011 11:03:24 AM PST
Taylor says:
It's not good enough to separate DVD and blu-ray. There may be multiple versions of a Blu-ray, of widely differing quality. The debacle with Predator comes to mind, the "ultimate" version was so bad that people re-appraised the earlier poor quality version. The people who put the work into improved transfers of classic movies deserve better than to have the ratings of their work lumped in with old DVD and VHS transfers.

I think the only course that makes sense is to have two ratings for a movie: one for the movie itself, another for the quality of the transfer. Give people who have already commented the option of transferring their comment to a specific transfer (Amazon is currently tracking the specific transfer to which a comment pertains).

Amazon built its on-line selling presence on the information provided by users about the content (shills and all). They need to modify their commenting system to address the widely varying quality of the transfers out there on blu-ray, before the system breaks down and someone else steps in to fill the void.

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 11:10:48 AM PST
The Review section seems to be a holdover from Amazon's bookseller origins. Even though their product base expanded to just about everything, the title based review system is still being used for everything. The whole customer review system needs to be overhauled because Amazon is not only books anymore. Long overdue.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2011 3:31:02 PM PST
yes

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 6:55:54 PM PST
ChomskyKnows says:
yes. tired of seeing a bunch of garbage when all i wanna know is, is the transfer any good.

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 11:46:31 PM PST
Anders Blom says:
A perfect example for how screwed up Amazon's review system is: Metropolis

The Complete Metropolis [Blu-ray]
The Complete Metropolis
Metropolis (Restored Authorized Edition)
Metropolis (Enhanced) 1927
Metropolis (1927)
METROPOLIS

Each one shares the same reviews. Some of the versions deserve 5 stars, while others deserve 1 star, but in the end they all share the same 3.5 star rating.

Posted on Jan 6, 2011 12:11:23 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 1, 2011 1:42:18 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 6, 2011 12:41:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2011 2:24:08 AM PST
M. Parker says:
I agree Anders, when shopping for a good quality Blu-Ray, I should not have to go on a fact finding mission to other websites. AMAZON has a separate DVD department just for Blu-ray's, why not a separate page for Blu-Ray reviews? AND AMAZON might concider importing the professional reviews from sites like HI-DEF DIGEST who does a good job of recommending AMAZON to they're customers, why not a little recognition back to HI-DEF DIGEST, their reviews are totally honest, thorough, and let you know if the Blu-Ray is worth buying, or a piece of junk. YES! YES! YES!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2011 1:32:10 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 1, 2011 1:42:19 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 6, 2011 3:30:08 AM PST
M. Gibb says:
yeah the combined reviews drive me crazy

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2011 4:23:03 AM PST
Taylor says:
"HI-DEF DIGEST. They do a good job of recommending Amazon to their customers..."

I assume that they are an Amazon operation, or at least they are kept in business by Amazon. It is a no-brainer that Amazon should incorporate their reviews into product descriptions. User interface, folks, it is an essential ingredient of the success of any Web business.

Customer reviews are still important as a reality check against shills. Yes I know many "customer" reviews are shills, we rely on the scrutiny of the crowd....

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2011 9:20:24 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 6, 2011 1:04:15 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 6, 2011 9:41:13 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
I wholeheartedly agree with this thread. Nothing more infuriating than wanting to get an opinion on Blu-ray quality and having to sift through hundreds of old reviews for the DVD (or in some cases, VHS too!).

I understand WHY they do it this way, they're looking at it from the perspective of reviewing the movie, not the quality. But I definitely think they need to separate the different formats.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2011 9:46:17 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 1, 2011 1:42:19 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2011 9:46:25 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2011 10:21:02 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2011 10:22:41 AM PST
So, if I go to the Whirlpool website, it will tell me to buy the Kenmore model if it is a better product? Not the Guru, you denigrate consumer reviews because they can be skewed then point us to the websites that would have the MOST skewed viewpoints. Yet another EPIC FAIL. Do you even understand why people look for reviews? Apparently not, because more information is wanted than just the manufacturers sales pitch. Maroon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2011 2:01:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2011 2:02:07 PM PST
A/V guru says:
I find it funny Amazon deleted that. Apparently it hit home that their product descriptions are lousy.

But pointing you to the websites of manufacturers, instead of relying on crappy descriptions on Amazon was the point. The manufacturer website is where you find exactly what you want to buy can do, and where you can look at the manual BEFORE you buy it to make sure it really can do what you want, regardless if it is an AVR, toaster or a BD copy of a movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2011 2:11:46 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 1, 2011 1:42:20 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2011 2:28:17 PM PST
Not the Guru,

Yet another moronic post. Amazon Product Descriptions come from the manufacturers. So what you are whining about makes no sense at all.

When will you ever understand anything?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  99
Total posts:  291
Initial post:  Jan 5, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 9, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions