Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

UK Blu-ray playing on US players?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 77 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 21, 2015 2:40:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2015 8:42:12 PM PST
C.G.M. says:
Actually, there are some DVD players, and perhaps BR players, that can be set to play DVD's of all regions, often by changing some settings via the remote control; but while that may defeat the region coding, it won't...in most cases...allow proper conversion from PAL to NTSC for standard US televisions. You'll need a player with that conversion circuitry inside, and most US players don't have it. Defeating the region code would let you easily play discs from Region 3 (mostly NTSC), or Region 2 Japan, (also NTSC), but won't properly display Region 2, UK (PAL).

I have a region-free PAL disk which I tried to play on a standard DVD player. The player did accept the disk (many players will display an on-screen error message saying 'the disk is incompatible, please try another disk'), but the picture did not play correctly on the television.

Since the video on the disk was 25fps PAL, and the player and television were 30fps NTSC, I got a jerky image, sort of like a stuttering image, which got annoying in less than 60 seconds of viewing. I assume it has something to do with the picture sticking at frame 25 while the player goes through frame 26-30 sequencing before the picture picks up again. That 'halting' for 1/6 of a second every second makes the disk extremely uncomfortable to watch...for two hours. Region free players are cheap these days, with DVD models cheaper than dirt now that BR's are becoming prevalent. If you want to watch UK DVD's or BR's, it's worth your while to make the modest investment to equip yourself properly.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2015 12:49:28 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 21, 2015 12:59:11 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2015 7:24:53 PM PST
A simple software conversion routine would allow it to play, but Sony products seem to leave that out on purpose, which is exactly what I'd expect from Sony.

Posted on Dec 13, 2015 12:15:25 PM PST
Kyle D. says:
Years ago my friend who lives in Ireland, bought me the box set of West Wing and shipped it to me. But as others have found out, it won't play on lower end priced players or PC, because the codecs are different, between US players and Europeans. But I did research and found I could DL(download)a free VCL Media player, plus you need to check box for it's extra codecs, which is need to play European DVD/blu ray's without any issues or distortions :) Also there is another benefit these days for having VCL if you upgrade your PC's to Windows 10, it will delete your Windows Media player, they now added a basic DVD prog, in a Windows update. But VCL DVD/blu ray is compatible with 10

Posted on Sep 23, 2015 4:11:08 PM PDT
I was sent a region free blue ray, when all I wanted was a US DVD. I sent it back to Amazon ASAP without opening it. Shame on the vendor for hiding this fact from me!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2015 4:27:42 PM PDT
B. Ackerman says:
The quantum of solace disc and bonus disc is region B and yes you have a problem playing it unless you have a region b player or region free bluray player.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2015 9:51:25 AM PDT
C.G.M. says:
It's not Windows Media Player than limits the number of region number changes, it's the optical disk drive. That originally was not the case, but when people began using their computers to watch out-of-region disks, Hollywood demanded that the drive manufacturers adopt the limited code change specification, to the same end as the region setting exists on standalone players.

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 12:08:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 25, 2015 12:16:22 PM PDT
EdM says:
Shiela, this Discussion has been about the difficulties, like PAL vs NTSC and country codes, with playing UK BDs. Both DVD and BD have country codes, so your BD player fails to play a UK DVD as expected.

That your Windows PC has hardware and software to defeat those security measures on a given DVD is not unexpected, as DVDs have been around for a lot longer and their security measures have been depreciated over time. Different brands and types of PCs have different abilities, software and graphics hardware. Some less capable or older PCs don't have HDMI out ports.

Also note that the Windows Media Player, assuming you used that, only allows a limited number of country switches, before it locks to the last selection, IIRC. So, be careful about that.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2015 7:32:29 AM PDT
I purchased DVDs of a UK TV series will not play on blue ray but will play on my windows 7 computer then I can stream on to my tv using H d m I cord

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2015 6:04:05 PM PDT
EdM says:
This depends on your player and the manufacturer. I have an old Sony model, and they would send out data CDs with the update on request. Most players are easily updated via Internet download.

You need to check with your manufacturer, and find what is possible at your work. W/O direct Internet, possible methods include by mail from the manufacturer, updating at the store you got it, at a repair place, via a friend downloading the update and saving it on a CD-R or USB drive, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2015 5:08:28 PM PDT
D. M. Keane says:
May I ask how one downloads upgrades? Currently, I don't have internet at home. I buy or rent DVD's & Blu-rays.

Posted on Feb 6, 2015 8:30:05 AM PST
Fred Swoyer says:
Anyone know if UK Blu-Ray audio disks will work in US? Thanks

Posted on Feb 6, 2015 8:25:51 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 6, 2015 8:30:53 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2015 11:58:36 PM PST
Brad Doll says:
Ok. You got me on that one. And that does make sense.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2015 8:43:43 AM PST
Well that is partially true but only applies to multi region free blu Ray players. Actually you need to download firmware updates to keep the player up to date. Every time a new movie is release the player becomes outdated. It is very important to keep any player updated at all times because the updates can be very big and improves playability.

Posted on Jan 8, 2015 4:03:13 PM PST
Brad Doll says:
I was told to never download firm wares because it will update and lockout the original form ounce

Posted on Jan 8, 2015 3:06:32 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 8, 2015 3:11:30 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2015 3:04:43 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 8, 2015 3:06:06 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2014 5:05:24 PM PST
Look at the back of the set there should be a code like A or 1 or ALL if it says anything else then this the box set won't play. If it's says B or PAL it won't work. You will need a multi region free player.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2014 1:40:34 PM PST
Rai and Jill says:
Hi, I bought the box set from Amazon

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2014 11:39:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2014 11:47:04 AM PST
Where did you buy the Harry potter collection from and take a look on the back of the box it should have a region code there like A or All. If it says anything but A, 1 or all then that's your problem. Also if it says PAL then the title will not play.

Posted on Dec 30, 2014 11:22:52 AM PST
Rai and Jill says:
We have bought a Sony BPB S1200B blu ray player and to take aqdvantage of the blu ray we've bought the whole Harry Potter collection. But it is saying it's not supported and won't play - Is there something else I can be doing to get it to work?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2014 6:16:14 PM PST
Brad Doll says:
Don't forget about the ntsc and pal. And also something about 50- 60 frames too.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2014 5:17:52 PM PST
You also want to be careful because even though it may say multi region free doesn't mean region free. also certain models that claim to be multi region free don't have pal conversion built in so you will need to make sure of that also. Most do but make sure that they have wifi built in because some of the cheaper models don't have wifi built in.

Posted on Dec 7, 2014 5:04:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2014 5:05:19 PM PST
turkish says:
there are all region blu ray players on ebay as cheap as 120 bucks. they play every region and every system like region ABC, 123.... pal ntsc on blu ray and dvd
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  44
Total posts:  77
Initial post:  Apr 7, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 21, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions