Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

Blu-ray Sucks! Amazon keeps pushing a format that I hate and will never buy.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 469 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 22, 2010 10:05:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 22, 2010 10:11:18 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 22, 2010 10:15:59 PM PDT
Josh Lyons says:
You're kidding right? BD are the most durable discs out there. They're the only ones that are virtually scratch-proof (unless you just set out with the mission to deliberately scratch them). BD are more durable than DVDs that's for sure. Sounds like somebody is a bitter HD-DVD adopter that got burned in the long run. Let it go, dude. It's not coming back.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2010 10:27:42 PM PDT
Max says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2010 10:45:24 PM PDT
offtackle says:
WOW!!! What the hell are you rambling about? This is one of the most incoherent rants I've ever read on these forums. You have absolutely no clue what the hell you are talking about.

Sometimes opinions are best kept to yourself. I'm sure you'll eventually reply with another ridiculous post after reading this. that's okay, you go ahead and pop a blood vessel and the rest of us will continue to enjoy a format that is superior to standard DVD.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2010 11:01:21 PM PDT
Tim Curry says:

Posted on Jun 22, 2010 11:01:46 PM PDT
A M says:
Todd P. James, how's your HD DVD player owners unite website going? And the discs being flimsy is your perception because you bet on the wrong format. Blu Ray discs are the same size, shape, and thickness as CDs, DVDs, and your beloved deceased HD DVDs.

You claim that DVDs and HD DVDs are more durable. Where is your evidence? That is just you making stuff up. And friction is two solids rubbing against one another. A solid material spinning against the air doesn't create friction and heat. shows how much you know.

How do you know it is a piece of junk technology if you haven't tried it? All of your gripes about Blu Ray in the past were about things that no longer apply like the price of players and the addition of new profiles. You say the studio chose for you the format. But the fact is that the two formats were not equal. I could not get movies from Paramount, Universal, The Weinstein Co., and certain Warner Bros. Titles on Blu Ray. And I could not watch Fox, Columbia, Disney, and Tri-Star titles on HD DVD.

Now that there is one format, I am granted choice. Choice of any movie from any studio. You never addressed the advantage of not having to chose a studio with a format. Personally I have no love for blu ray over HD DVD. I didn't buy until the format war was over. I love having choice - not of format, but of content. It's all about content.

Posted on Jun 22, 2010 11:07:18 PM PDT
guy you have no idea what you're talking about, my daughter watches nightmare before christmas every night before bed...for 6+ months and that movie still plays and looks like it's brand new. you're just a hater dude, i am a proud owner of over 150+ Blu rays and I already have 25+ on pre-order. invest in a playstation three, it's more than just a gaming system, pfft, i don't even play video games and it's the coolest thing I own, netflix/blu ray/browser/radio/playstation home/playstation store...blu ray is pushed because of Ps3, because ps3's are #1 blu ray players...

stop being a hater and just enjoy the product

Posted on Jun 23, 2010 2:33:15 AM PDT
M. Janosik says:
lamest OP troll attempt Ive seen in a long time. Blu-ray pwns.

Posted on Jun 23, 2010 2:39:54 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 23, 2010 11:30:59 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 23, 2010 3:11:32 AM PDT
C. H. says:
@A M:

"You claim that DVDs and HD DVDs are more durable. Where is your evidence? That is just you making stuff up. And friction is two solids rubbing against one another. A solid material spinning against the air doesn't create friction and heat. shows how much you know. "

That is wrong. A sloid material and air create friction. You can look it up on wikipedia. Nevertheless Todd P. James has no idea what he is talking about.

Posted on Jun 23, 2010 5:56:19 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 1, 2011 1:40:16 PM PST]

Posted on Jun 23, 2010 6:46:52 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 19, 2011 10:36:34 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2010 8:12:28 AM PDT
M. Stifler says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2010 9:50:59 AM PDT
Brad says:
C. Heublein,
>> A [solid] material and air create friction. <<
Perhaps, but the air flow would also carry away the generated heat, so it's probably a wash. I expect the heat from the electronics is more significant.

But yeah, OP sounds like a troll.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2010 10:01:57 AM PDT
A/V guru says:
So the space shuttle coming in at (whatever speed it comes in) X speed doesn't create friction with air???

And yes...a disc spinning creates heat with the air...enough to warp a disc, probably not.

Posted on Jun 23, 2010 8:36:48 PM PDT
H. Robertson says:
I don't know what you're smoking, but as for me, you can have my blu ray player when you pry my cold dead fingers off the play button. I have bought my last DVD.

Posted on Jun 23, 2010 9:07:43 PM PDT
Lots of older movies look gorgeous on blu-ray. Check out 2001, Blade Runner, James Bond Classics, Casablanca, Wizard of Oz for some great examples. Even grainy movies though they may not be as nice looking do still have more detail beyond the grain than DVD. At bare minimum even if a film didn't have more detail it looks natural, not like it had detail digitally removed like DVD's do. And it's not just about resolution, HD also had much more vibrant and more accurate colors.

And Blu-ray has lossless audio.

Posted on Jun 23, 2010 9:20:40 PM PDT
netman says:
This guy (HDDVDFAN07 aka Todd James) started a website two years ago to bring back the HD DVD format. Everyone on his own site told him it was OVER but he lives in an alternate reality and apparently would rather sulk until he dies instead of enjoying the next generation of HD movies. What a loser.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2010 9:27:24 PM PDT
He probably misses Beta too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2010 10:14:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2010 10:15:44 PM PDT
EdM says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2010 10:33:37 PM PDT
A/V guru says:
Apparently you missed "the joke" of the post. It was in reference to the 'tard who said "solid objects and air" don't create friction.

At the end of my post...I even said "enough to warp a disc? I doubt it".

Go play with your legos EDM.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2010 12:04:02 AM PDT
EdM says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2010 6:21:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2010 6:22:36 AM PDT
A/V guru says:
Cause my grandson was playing with them within earshot. I got "lucky" and missed the wars/conflicts by being the "wrong age" at the right times. Besides a permanently broken arch bone kept them from "asking".

And yes, the laser warms the disc...but "laser warmth" is not "air/solid friction"...

but neither warmth, created either way, creates any issues. The Discs have, what, a 20 year life expectancy??? I seem to remember somewhere standard dvd has a 20 year shelf life...anybody know the particulars on that one?

Posted on Jun 24, 2010 6:27:24 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 1, 2011 1:40:17 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2010 6:28:35 AM PDT
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  171
Total posts:  469
Initial post:  Jun 22, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions