Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

UV Digital Copy Hate

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 352 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2015 5:25:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 31, 2015 12:23:04 AM PST
Phred says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 27, 2015 4:38:17 PM PST
turkish says:
LOL digital copies are a perk. you are actually paying for the blu ray copy. so whether it's included or not, or it's UV, or Itunes doesn't mean squat.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2015 11:53:52 AM PST
I don't think anyone has considered it because it's irrelevant to the discussion. It's about why some people only want iTunes and others like UV.

I'm sorry you have bad internet but it's like somebody coming into a Ford vs Chevy towing capacity discussion and asking if anybody has considered that some people are Geo Metro owners and can't tow anything.

Posted on Jan 25, 2015 5:15:30 AM PST
Mike Ingram says:
R. Williams, Sounds like you really don't have the ability to stream. It's a problem in a lot of areas that they keep talking about fixing but little action so far. We need them to treat internet access like they do other utilities, have the government step in to help get the infrastructure in like they do over seas where they are way ahead of us. I live in a very rural area, use to get 1.5 megs, now get 3 but there is a good wireless carrier working on a system that will get us 10....someday. but even 3 megs really works pretty good for us. We have a Roku box and love it, much prefer it to the old cable model for tv.

Posted on Jan 25, 2015 4:42:47 AM PST
R. Williams says:
Has anyone considered the fact that many people in rural areas have painfully slow Internet access? Downloading / streaming ANYTHING is next to impossible at 100K/s. The problem gets worse in rural areas as people who live closer to town soak up bandwidth doing this nonsense. Personally, I have plenty to think about and tinkering with a pesky download to watch a movie is not on my to-do list. I would rather watch re-runs of Gilligan's Island on FREE BROADCAST HD TELEVISION (I'm dumping satellite TV as well).

Old school? Probably, but this is my dime and I won't spend it on virtual content. When the studios grow up and offer to sell me a TRUE 4K BD hard copy and the electronics industry offers a CLEAN, SIMPLE all-in-one 4K BD player / bookshelf HT, I'll invest in their respective products.

While they are at it, perhaps they will develop a remote control that only has SIX BUTTONS: ON, OFF, PLAY, PAUSE, STOP and VOLUME. If appearance is anything, the remote they sold me is capable of launching nuclear missiles. I'm trying to relax and watch some mindless entertainment and I must employ a remote control device with 125 unreadable tiny black buttons?...... trying to download something and convert files?...... no thanks.

REMASTERED 4K FREE BROADCAST re-runs of Gilligan's Island on a 4K television with big chrome ROTATING KNOBS sounds like a really good idea. I can't wait.

Videophile / Audiophile + 4K quality is always attractive but I won't be looking toward the cloud to get it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2015 3:27:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2015 3:12:50 PM PST
Phred says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2015 12:01:48 PM PST
Mike Ingram says:
EdM, I think that's kind of old school thinking. A few years ago when it was itunes or nothing, there was no streaming, you downloaded an SD copy to play on your portable devices. Today, many are using Vudu and the like to access and play their movies on their tvs. It's a matter of convenience. Instead of getting on my knees and trying to read the end labels on a bunch of disc cases trying to decide what to watch, I can look at several covers at a time on my big screen tv. I can sort them too, feel like horror, scifi? I can just show those and scroll thru them. If need be with one click I can play the trailer, another click and the movie is playing in HDX.

Would putting the bluray in give me better quality? Probably, but they have so greatly improved streaming lately that most people cannot tell the difference. Maybe if I were a videophile, but I'm not. I like quality though, I tossed all my VHS years ago and never buy DVD, but you know for most people it seems DVD is just fine, so they probably wont have any problem streaming either, imo.

Posted on Jan 5, 2015 11:46:49 AM PST
Mike Ingram says:
Phred, your are talking about breaking copyright to produce a DRM free copy, most people don't care to do it that way imo.

Posted on Jan 5, 2015 9:21:01 AM PST
EdM says:
I really don't understand some of the above comments. The premise of digital copy [of whatever variety] is to provide a version of a BD that one owns [this is the BLU-RAY forum], that one can enjoy/put on their portable devices for on-the-go viewing. So, one compromises performance quality to be able to carry/stream the show on their portable device.

These digital copies have been slimmed down, compressed, throwing away video quality and at least lossless audio (sometimes anything beyond stereo audio), etc., to reduce 1) the memory requirements for storage on the portable device, and/or 2) the bandwidth needed for streaming. Why anyone would choose to play a digital copy [crippleware, IMO] of the content, rather than the real deal - the BD, on their normal HDTV, is beyond me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2015 5:33:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2015 3:30:10 PM PST
Phred says:
There you go again, assuming all non UV worshipers are Apples apostles!

I do not have iTunes installed. I do not own a Wackintosh or a Windblowme based PC. The US taxpayer paid big bucks putting me in a green uniform and teaching me UNIX. All my computers run Linux.

I have a Boxee, from back in 2008. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxee

I aslo have an Android TV. They play my movies collection just fine, and in DVD quality. No Logging in, no worring about what player app I need to use, no Orwellian big brother, no DRM, no personal information, no junk mail from UV. I just select the memory card, thumb drive, or external hard drive, and click on the movie. It works the same as the memory card in my Samsung works.

I can also stream from my Cloud if I have wifi and want to watch on my iPhone or iPad.

I can always watch the original disc if I have it with me. The TV is broke in my rental. I am waiting for the landlord to fix it.

Posted on Jan 4, 2015 12:05:48 PM PST
Mike Ingram says:
And what if I would rather use one of the many streaming boxes that hook to your tv instead of hooking a computer to a TV?. I have hooked a laptop to a tv before, but not since boxes like the Roku became popular......lots easier and better imo. Problem is unless the box you happen to choose says apple on it, you wont find itunes. Itunes might work great, I wouldn't know since I use something other than Apple for a streaming device and none of my tablets or phones carry an Apple logo either.....it's really not a difficult choice, but I could see why somebody would want to stick with itunes if that's all they ever buy and never plan to leave, to each their own.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2015 10:20:04 AM PST
EdM says:
You have a point, but I'd expect that most people with Android devices would have a Windows PC, maybe a laptop. Thus, most could install iTunes on their PC and use that solution. There are video converters, but that's neither simple nor easy.

Still, any particular format has advantages and disadvantages, and consumers can choose what appeals to them most. Not everyone has identical needs and values as the next person.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2015 9:24:30 AM PST
A M says:
"UV does not satisfy any specific consumer need that did not already have a less "orwellian" solution."

What was the pre-existing solution for people with android devices to enjoy legal digital copies of movies from the studios?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2015 4:10:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2015 4:11:01 PM PST
Phred says:

Posted on Dec 25, 2014 3:52:32 AM PST
Mike Ingram says:
"I am sure i can easily, within an hour, locate 50 sites that post the complete opposite. What makes that site more credible?"

Are you talking about legitimate numbers? Factual polls? or rah rah anti UV forums where a handful of people tell the rest of us how UV doesn't work? If its facts, I'd love to see that.

Merry Christmas all!

Posted on Dec 25, 2014 3:46:15 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 25, 2014 3:58:26 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2014 12:09:18 AM PST
M. Jefferies says:
I'm pretty sure that most of the people complaining on this thread no longer use UV, and therefore wouldn't form a part of the 9% of people who dislike UV, but continue to use it. Good on the 9% who stick with it regardless - personally I'd rather have my sanity thanks :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2014 9:56:43 PM PST
Phred says:
I am sure i can easily, within an hour, locate 50 sites that post the complete opposite. What makes that site more credible?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2014 5:13:13 AM PST
Mike Ingram says:
R. Chaviano, I might be able to help your luck. What device are you using to stream or download UV movies? Can you get Vudu?

Posted on Dec 24, 2014 5:06:51 AM PST
Mike Ingram says:
Hate to throw any facts in here but......

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/289171/ultraviolet-awareness-hits-44-in-the-us/

"Among consumers that do use UV, 91% said they are satisfied with the service - up eight percentage points. Some 83% said that UV activation was "easy" - a five percentage point increase from 2013."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2014 10:05:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2014 10:06:40 PM PST
Phred says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2014 7:32:41 PM PST
R. Chaviano says:
You've been lucky with your experiences regarding UV and Flickster. I have attempted Flickster UV downloads / streams with 3 different movies and it hasn't worked in a single instance. The movie plays very poorly, it doesn't play at all or it simply vanishes without a trace after you redeem your code. I'm gonna stick to itunes and digital copies.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2014 12:34:00 AM PST
P. M. Taylor says:
UV is a storage cloud that stores the movies. Itunes, Vudu, CinemaNow, Google Play, Amazon, Sony, etc. are retailers that you can buy a digital movie from. You don't need to sign into the movie site to redeem your UV code. You have to sign into the movie sites if you want to have the movie stored in your movie site (sony) library and the uv library and you will still be able see the movie through other retailers. You go to a web site to redeem the codes and select your uv retailer because there is more than one digital/uv retailer. People don't all use the same companies to view movies, so you have to pick your retailer of choice (they did not use the same retailer before uv either). I always pick VUDU unless it's the one movie company that makes you use Flixster and therefore you don't get a choice but the movie still shows up in my Vudu account so I don't ever use Flixster to look at my movies. Also I usually just go to Vudu or Itunes and sign in and redeem my codes as the web site takes me back to the retailer site that I chose to sign in (the same way it did before UV). So if you just go to your retailer of choice and redeem the movie code, it takes less than a minute for UV moves to be redeemed. If you don't want a bunch of logins, then find a retailer and only redeem your movies with one retailer. You are not required to use every retailer. The advantage of UV is no matter what retailer you use, they all have the same library. So I use Vudu and my children use Cinema Now and Flixster. We have the same Vudu account, so what ever I buy or they buy from a retailer will instantly show up in the other person's retailer library for immediate use. It is one UV account with several retailers accessing it. Just think of the UV cloud as a router and Vudu as cell phone, cinema now as your ipad, and Flixster as android tablet. You are making it way more complicated than it needs to be.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2014 5:32:49 AM PST
jsv. Odds are that you used some word in your post that caused the Amazon bots to automatically delete it. There are quite a few of those including words like (I'm deliberately misspelling here) eediot, re tarted, and others that could be at best considered mild insults. In fact over in the KDP forums (the kindle direct publishing forum for authors) for some reason the work character will keep your post from even being published. A forum for authors and you can't use the word character?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2014 2:07:03 AM PST
Phred says:
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  116
Total posts:  352
Initial post:  Nov 22, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 27, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers

Search Customer Discussions