Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

Amazon now Charging Tax!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 773 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 4:22:30 PM PST
C. Barbus,

I will not let you lead me down the rabbit hole of irrelevance. All the facts I stated in my previous post were self-contained. Either address the topic or give it up. If you want to talk about cooking, then there must be a Cooking Forum.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 3:44:38 AM PST
MikeT says:
" James S. Layton says: Remember, Amazon only collects state sales tax. Any local or additional sales tax is not added to the order. "

Ok..........? I don't get the relevance to the discussion.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 4:08:12 PM PST
Georgedc says:
❤NO TAX@AMAZON by 3rd PARTY SELLERS❤

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 11:50:15 AM PST
Wayne says:
That's not true. Sometimes it's the other way around. Back when Amazon didn't collect sales tax in California for example, California residents typically paid sales tax when they chose third party merchants inside CA. Of course there may be some merchants that simply don't do things legitimately.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 11:51:25 AM PST
Wayne says:
That's not true. If I order from Amazon, the sales tax collected is at my local sales tax rate. That includes county and city portions.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:27:26 PM PST
That's it for me. I will now shop local.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 8:28:45 PM PST
Your local company's would love your support.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 8:30:43 PM PST
I'm done with Amazon.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:06:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 2:28:32 PM PST
File Server says:
I live in Utah and have been a loyal Amazon customer for years.
NOW I'M BEING TAXED on Amazon ?

Hey Amazon, why do you think people use your site ?
One reason is, so we would NOT have to fork over money to the State

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:15:47 AM PST
File Server says:
I don't see Utah listed.
They have NO physical offices here in Utah. unless I read this info wrong.
and yet I'm being charged tax...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:16:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 7:17:55 AM PST
Roy Zander says:
RE: File Server;
Are you SURE?? I get packages in Utah every week from Amazon and have never been charged tax. Stuff from last week and this weeks discs included. If they DO start charging tax I will do as I always have and shop the best final price. No big deal.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:33:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 3:05:49 PM PST
File Server says:
OK I just tried to place an order... just 45 minutes ago.
Just before I hit "confirm order" I looked at the charges listed ...sure enough I was being charged a tax.

I do understand that if i purchase an online product and the company has facilities here in Utah they can charge sales tax -- Musician's Friend for example has a warehouse here...so they levied a tax when I bought a guitar.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:35:15 AM PST
File Server says:
Roy, I replied to your post...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:57:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 9:58:23 AM PST
FYI, Amazon's tax policies are not listed in JVAN's link, they are on another page. The taxation page details all of Amazon's tax policies, and how there are sellers that have different taxation requirements for different lists of states. You probably ordered something from a seller that is required to collect tax for Utah. If your invoice did not reflect the policies laid out here, then you have a right to complain to Amazon. All other tax complaints should be made to your proper state representatives-

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_cn?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200961550

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 10:03:21 AM PST
Mr. Orange says:
Maybe some of you haven't realized, but CA forced Amazon to tax. Don't know about other states, but it's a mess here in CA and many think Amazon's taxes will help. I think it's bull.

Anyway, I still shop at Amazon, but I have to think before I purchase.

Because if you shop at Best Buy, Target, Walmart, etc, you're going to pay for a tax anyway. Just have to figure out which business you want to buy from.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 10:15:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 10:16:30 AM PST
Roy Zander says:
Thanks File Server;
This week I've wracked up a cart in the hundreds. If I'm charged tax, I may think some more to be sure.
BTW, I'm near SLC. You?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 2:01:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 3:10:05 PM PST
File Server says:
In Layton.

Roy, you should see the tax listed in your "final charges" just before you hit "confirm" to purchase.

Customer Service informed me that I should not be seeing any sort of tax.
Here is their reply to my query: "...If the items in your order are fulfilled directly by Amazon.com LLC or Amazon Digital Services, Inc. and shipped to 'Utah', there will be no sales tax..."

Amazon speak with forked tongue !

So... I just bought a book for a higher price from a non-Amazon seller, but was charged no tax, even though the Amazon price was a little less...but added a state tax.
Why should I (we) give MORE money to this worthless state government so they can mismanage & waste it... screw 'em.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 2:19:30 AM PST
BJ Gibson says:
I just looked at a video game for Christmas and noticed the tax. I cancelled the order. I may as well buy local -- the prices are the same.
This will cost them a lot of orders just like mine. It will make me rethink some higher priced items also.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 7:41:58 AM PST
Bimmerman2 says:
The tax thing has been curtailing many of my purchases lately. I was on the other day to pick up the new Oppo BDP103 Blu-ray player (499 on Amazon and 499 on Manf. website), added it to my cart, and was shocked at the 50 dollar price increase because of the tax. I'm a Prime member, so no shipping charges. Went to the manufacturers website and purchased it instead, saved me 47 dollars. That was the whole benefit for buying on Amazon, now that it's gone, there is really no reason to continue shopping here.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 8:52:28 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 26, 2012 8:53:56 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 3:44:53 PM PST
I live in Eugene, Oregon and bought a gift for a friend in New York City. Why tax this gift. I pay enough tax in Oregon.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 9:33:04 PM PST
flowerpower says:
Yes, no tax was such a great bonus. This will definitely cause me to think twice about my orders now.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 7:01:53 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 27, 2012 11:33:14 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 10:55:21 AM PST
bfore13 says:
"if users are paying sales tax & yet local prices are competitive, they'll lose business"

It all depends. Given the price of gas, I'd stil prefer to buy through Amazon especially as a Prime member ... unless I need the item immediately which is rare.

"Contact your state rep & defiantly complain."

Complain about what? That Amazon is now being forced to collect the state taxes that we're required by law to pay? Good luck with your state rep on that one.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:37:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 11:38:13 AM PST
Human Being says:
bfore13,
You don't get it do ya ?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  287
Total posts:  773
Initial post:  Sep 1, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 27, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 24 customers

Search Customer Discussions