Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

UV Digital Copy Hate

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 338 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 3:25:22 PM PST
Bourne1886 says:
Arthur,Why is it unreasonable? Maybe they are just trying to cater for non Apple customers. I'm an Apple customer but I can see the sense in UV. It's more flexible and gives everybody more choice in how they watch their films rather than digital films being exclusive to Apple.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 4:38:11 PM PST
This is the primary reason I want UV to succeed. It will bring a level of standard to digital copies!

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 8:51:22 AM PST
jhull843 says:
I love my UV copies I can share them with my friends download them onto any of my devices and can watch directly from my bluray player through vudu. It takes a little bit of time setting up but know i have all my movies on all my devices and its compatable with everything android, tv, bluray player and Ipad etc. and i did not have to buy a single piece of equipment or program to do it. why all the hate?

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 12:16:56 AM PST
Thought says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 1:14:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 6, 2012 1:16:26 AM PST
Bigger question is why are you so damn angry? FREE UV digital copies can be downloaded in HD at a high bit rate onto any device that has ability to do so through Vudu. Most iTunes copies are lower quality than DVD. You can also download them onto tablets and phones that you can't download an iTunes copy to. I'll admit that I hated when companies like Sony and Warner Bros for switching exclusively to UV. But as the technology has matured, I find it easy to redeem codes almost exclusively through flixter without having to log into multiple websites before hand. As of yet, none of the films I have redeemed have been pulled from my library due to change in content rights so I'll just enjoy my 30+ FREE UV copies like a good 'little stooge' while you call people names and hate yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 8:01:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2012 8:02:01 AM PST
Bourne1886 says:
-if their server goes down, the internet goes down, you can't watch your movies
-each studio has their own redemption of titles, have fun creating an account for each one.

Not true,you can download all UV films to your device and watch offline. I have never created a separate account for each studio redemption. There is no need. Just input the code into Flixster and you're away. This is what I've always done and it works perfectly. Why have you written a load of old tosh?

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 1:05:21 PM PST
JMM says:
It seems that the people who don't like UV are the ones that haven't really put much thought and effort into it. If you actually try the service and use it for some time, you'll find it's not that bad.

About 95% of the UV movies I own can be redeemed/watched directly on Vudu, so for the most part I only have to log in to one site and I can begin watching a movie. Furthermore, Vudu is included as an app on many new internet connected TVs/Blu-Ray players, as well as Roku. And Vudu has recently upgraded its service to include HD streaming to many computer/laptops.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 3:19:06 PM PST
jacob says:
Yes I used to hate ultraiovlet but it is actually compatible with basically everything with internet connection! it is actually better than a digital copy, which will only play on apple devices. You can put the ultraviolet copy on your ipad, or kindle fire, or probably any other tablet.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 4:37:01 PM PST
Flixster/Ultraviolet is GARBAGE. I should not need to sign up for TWO more accounts (which is also two more passwords I need to keep track of) and download yet more software just to watch the digital copy of my movie on my PC only to have to download yet another app and re-download yet again the same damn movie just to watch it on other devices and I've had no luck at all streaming said content to my television which is why I keep digital copies in the first place.

Having said that, apparently it's a good idea to stay away from the UV version of The Dark Knight trilogy altogether as, having received it for Christmas, I attempted to go out and download the digital copy. I've stayed away from UV for a year after I had to request an iTunes code to replace the UV version of HP7 that never worked. I assumed that in a year they might have got their act together. Nope. DK Trilogy code doesn't even redeem and all I get from their 'customer service' are a couple of lame canned apologies and a list of instructions on how I can help them help me. Get me a digital copy that works! That's how they can help me.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 9:53:33 AM PST
Kruger says:
Oh well - I tried to be honest. I really did.

I really wanted to ensure I wasn't "breaking" the law. But, if a movie studio wants me to do back flips for a digital copy, I am going to do whatever is necessary to enjoy the movies I paid for - not traded, DL'ed, swapped or whatever - bought. Paid money and keeping it for myself to use on what hardware/device I need it to work on, on conditions that meet my needs.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 2:04:58 PM PST
Bourne1886 says:
So why has it worked for me and lots of other consumers then. Read the instructions that will help! Id just like to point out that you had to set up your iTunes account once upon a time. There's no difference! Why should digital copies be iTunes exclusives only. That's not right. A lot of people don't use Apple gear. Now they can watch their digital copies aswell.

Two passwords oh no, whatever will you do! Once you're set up,you're good to go. Redeem the code via Flixster and voila it's there in your collection. EASY!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 2:53:54 PM PST
Because I can use iTunes for more than just movies, such as internet radio, podcasts, and music, as well as movies, and no, I dont run a mac. Or, because Flixter is just a bunch of bossy, buggy, spying, cookie, advertising and beacon-filled bloatwear junk that I don't want or need. Or, because I want more choices, not less.

Any other questions?

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 3:08:08 PM PST
Oh, btw, I don't want or need vudu, roku or any other dodo. Rather than be beholden to the whims of the internet, I can just set up DLNA on my Mac, or my PC and broadcast across the Wifi to any device in my house, for free. With minimal configuration, I can also watch anything on the mac or pc I'm using as a DLNA server at home, remotely via a secure connection, without having to beg, or add yet another piece of junk bloatware. For more info, Google BubbleUp or EyeConnect. Streem anything, from anyone to anywhere. If your device can streem vudu, it can streem DLNA.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 3:27:46 PM PST
Movie Monkey says:
Here are some of my experiences. I love digital copies, and hated Ultraviolet when it came out.
I could not stand Ultraviolet when it was first released. The reason why is because it was being advertised on the packaging as a "Digital Copy" just like an iTunes copy. So I would think I was getting an iTunes copy, when I wasn't. They were also replacing iTunes digital copies with UV copies. That's why I think a lot of people are/were mad. That's why I was. I also couldn't stand (and still think it's pretty ridiculous) that I need 3 accounts to watch them. (UV, Flixter, Vudu).
However, after over a year, it seems they have got SOME of their act together. They now clearly state whether they have a UV copy or Digital copy, and there are some movies that actually come with both.
I still get a little peeved when a movie has an UV copy and not a digital copy. I don't HATE UV anymore, but I much prefer an iTunes copy because of the ease and convenience of it for me.
I still have issues with UV. They are the following:
- It has connection hiccups which have caused me losing a movie and the redemption code does not work anymore. I've had to send a ticket into Flixter and/or UV to get it back.
- I've had a lot of issues streaming the HD version. It constantly buffers even though I have a high internet speed and no trouble streaming HD from apps and sites like HBOGO.
- When I try to download a movie from the Flixter app to my iPhone, it almost always gets stuck on "processing" and never completes the download. This is the major issue I've been experiencing. I've only been able to download 2 movies. I've since deleted them and tried to download more, but all of them have got stuck on "Processing". So, as of right now, the download option is not an option for me.
I'm sure certain issues will be fixed, but it's hard not to think that an iTunes digital copy has none of these problems. I see the appeal of UV, I really do. I don't hate it as I did just a few months ago after I finally got my logins linked and Vudu working properly. However, they still need to fix the issues I've mentioned because an iTunes copy is still a thousand times more seamless and always works properly.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 2:45:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 29, 2012 2:45:37 PM PST
Bourne1886 says:
That's fine for you then. I'm over the moon for you.

But what about non iTunes customers. UV is more Universal. Is it a case of so what F*#% em then if non iTunes customers don't have Apple gear!!!?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 4:33:50 PM PST
How is this any different than forcing someone to load that p.o.s Flixter app? I'm not sure exactly what "apple gear" is. Is that something like shoes and handbags? If you mean electronics, then it's clear you don't know much about iTunes, since it has nothing to do with apple hardware such as mp3 players or phones. They do sync with it, but then so does my Sansa clip, and my Android phone.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 4:54:39 PM PST
A M says:
"then it's clear you don't know much about iTunes, since it has nothing to do with apple hardware such as mp3 players or phones. They do sync with it, but then so does my Sansa clip, and my Android phone."

It is you who do not know what you are talking about. Your Android phone can play audio from the iTunes store, but will not play any video from the iTunes store. It has DRM. The digital copies through iTunes only play on iPads, iPods, and iPhones. They do not play on any devices that run Android, Blackberry OS, or Windows Mobile.

Have you tried the Flixster app to know it is a p.o.s.? I already had it on my phone because I use it to look up showtimes for films the theater. I entered my password once and never again and stream my movies fine.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 5:48:30 PM PST
BluWalker says:
I personally don't like the way UV codes are distributed. I don't know what would happen if, lets say, flixster sold or no longer existed. Would you be able to continue using the digital copy on Vudu? I not sure. I think it would be best if the UV code that comes with your combo pack be redeemable through any streaming company, Vudu, flixster, or who ever. For example, the dc I received with dark knight rises said to redeem it through flixster, but I have Vudu. I dont wont to use flixster or create a new account. Now I know you can link those accounts together, but that is just another waste of data space and password maintenance. I think it would just be easier for everyone, while keeping the integrity and quality of Vudu and flixster. I do think that is where we're are heading, but it is not yet there for a true universal UV code to be used by a certain company, that offer digital downloads/streams, without needing all of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 7:59:56 PM PST
JMM says:
BluWalker,

Most (not all) UV codes can be redeemed directly through Vudu - I actually was able to redeem The Dark Knight Rises that way. Even though WB inserts direct you to Flixster, the codes can often be redeemed directly through other sites.

All these different sites for which you can stream your movies - Vudu, CinemaNow, Flixster, etc - can accept most UV codes. The important thing is that your Ultraviolet account is linked to any of these other accounts that you choose to register with. That way, your UV copy will usually appear in all your different accounts regardless of where it was first redeemed.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 9:39:28 PM PST
BluWalker says:
JMM,

I did notice that flixster and ultraviolet but just wasn't sure. It would be nice if they just put on the slip that it can be redeemed at the ultraviolet website or any UV service. Also, they should give you the digital copy in HD, not just 720 or 1080, as long as you bought it in the bluray pack. Obviously if the offer the dc in the DVD only combo than only in SD. I do realize that some movies that offer the dc or UV comes with the HD download/stream, but not always. I had two digital copies of the dark knight, both from bluray movies, and one was redeemed in SD and the other in HD (at least that is what I was told by the two people that I gave the dcs to said.

It is a good thing that UVs are being accept by any digital service company, just as long as they don't force people to use a particular service for the same content, not including exclusives like the dark knight reborn for CinemaNow.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 1:38:02 PM PST
Bourne1886 says:
So what's the problem then?

If you know it all why doesn't it work for you! I am an Apple customer as it happens so I have the best of both worlds. Ive downloaded all my UV movies to my ipad and watch them via my Flixster App. Even when there is no internet connection i can still watch them.

Not everybody wants to have Apple gear (electronic equipment not handbags you Doucebag!)
I can see the sense and flexibility in UV, why can't you!? Your thought process is very narrow minded. Nobody is forcing you to do anything. Flixster is a piece of p*** to set up. Then all you have to do is enter your redeemable code and its there in your account. What's so difficult about that? Setting it up took seconds. Like I said before you had to set up an iTunes account didn't you. It's no different. It's not my problem you can't get it to work. If you could work it out,you wouldn't be on here moaning like a little girl!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 9:07:20 PM PST
The only problem with uv is that it can not be downloaded to Ipod classic. Works fine on the Ipod Touch.

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 3:02:09 AM PST
Ultraviolet is a great idea in theory if it was one website, one app for storing all of your digital copys. The problem comes when different production company's want to control the content and divert you to their own websites, therefor all of your content is spread across the web. Most UV content requires you to go through flixster which is the single most glitch ridden website/app I have ever had to deal with. I am very tech savvy having experience with windows, ios, webOS,and Android yet I have yet to get all of my UV copys redeemed. The fact is that I have hundreds upon thousands of dollars invested in my blu ray collection because they held the UV logo and the fact that redeeming these digital copys is so frustrating is criminal to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 4:10:57 AM PST
Ryan Parker says:
Uv and vudu are the same thing, i stream my uv on xbox, ps3 and my blu ray player.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 5:17:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 21, 2013 5:18:27 AM PST
@ Ryan--- Not really, UV is a service that stores licenses at uvvu.com. Vudu is a provider that allows you to stream said licenses that are stored at uvvu.com. So you stream UV enabled movies on your devices through the Vudu app which is linked to your UV account.

@ Brandon--- Flixster is VERY buggy, I would suggest you redeem your codes on Vudu.com. You can redeem almost every movie from their site and still view them on any other UV enabled device/site you currently use. I havent used Flixster to redeem a movie in almost 3 months. I go to vudu first then the studio before choosing flixster.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  114
Total posts:  338
Initial post:  Nov 22, 2011
Latest post:  3 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 23 customers

Search Customer Discussions