Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

Where to sell a bulk Blu-Ray collection?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 82 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 12, 2012 11:08:26 PM PDT
I'd be really suspicious of someone trying to sell me 160 blu-rays AS A LOT on Craigslist.

Posted on May 13, 2012 1:55:31 AM PDT
If you need to get rid of them now, eBay remains the best option.

If you don't mind taking awhile, but also want the least effort, then you can try listing them on Amazon, since you don't have to create individualized pages, but the commissions aren't much better, if at all.

If you want the least commissions, lower volume sites, but geared towards enthusiasts, you could pay $25 one-time fee for a whole year to be able to list all your blu-rays in a single ad at AVSForum.com, or you can try the Trading Forum at Blu-ray.com (free?), or if you don't mind getting robbed locally, Craigslist.

I HIGHLY doubt, though, whatever option you take, that you're going to get 160 blu-rays for $1500 at about $9 a pop as a whole lot. If you must sell it that way, some distributor could probably take it off you, for much less, and then resell them individually.

Shipping USPS first class takes about $2-3 including a bubble mailer if you buy them bulk from Amazon. They will cost you some $0.15-$0.20 each. Realistically for each of those titles you could expect between $6-10, and you'd be more successful if you eat some of the shipping cost.

Posted on May 13, 2012 2:00:52 AM PDT
To add, most blu-ray collectors (and really, who else is going to buy 160 movies?) will already have some, or many, of these movies. So if they buy bulk, they will be expected to resell some of these themselves, which takes additional effort, which is why it is unrealistic to expect anyone to pay full price for the entire collection. A reseller wouldn't mind duplicates, but needs to make a profit as the middle man. The only way I can conceive that you get to sell the entire collection bulk, is if you're lucky enough to find some wealthy benefactors who happen to be building a brand new movie collection. Maybe they just bought a $10k system, and now need $1.5k in movies. Good luck with that.

Posted on May 13, 2012 8:43:12 AM PDT
Also keep in mind that between the selling and Paypal fees, you will "lose" almost
15% of your net proceeds selling on Ebay. You even pay a selling fee on the shipping now
on Ebay -to eliminate the practice of padding shipping.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 12:29:56 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
Not necessarily, you can offer free shipping and ship directly through the brick and mortar USPS or through UPS.

Posted on May 13, 2012 2:43:16 PM PDT
I'll pay you 500 bucks for all of these right now

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 3:12:27 PM PDT
You pay eBay commission on the total of your sale price plus shipping, regardless of how you actually ship. This was to prevent people from selling a laptop for $5, but add $200 in shipping, so they could evade eBay's previous fee structure. However, the downside is that legitimate individual sellers would lose more money (although the fact that listing fee is free for 50 auctions/month cancels that out for low price items).

However, Amazon will charge you $1.79 + 15% for each sale, so eBay ends up slightly cheaper even with shipping included in fees. Amazon will give you $2.99-3.99 shipping credit, even though it should really only cost you between $1.50-2.50 to ship. The only advantage of Amazon is you don't have to create individualized pages for each product to attract attention over all the other ads; every product is linked to the same product page in Amazon.

If you don't need to sell immediately, it's better to go through a lower volume site like blu-ray.com's trading forum, or if you live in a well-populated area, Craigslist, first, before resorting to eBay or Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 3:18:35 PM PDT
Take the $5oo.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 9:58:33 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
It might if you have a upgraded paypal account but I have a personal non-business account and I buy $5000 worth of usage through Paypal so I get all types of perks and selling for free and can list 50 items for free every month. Additionally if your feedback rating is 100% then you can get special discount days where you can list as much as you want for free , only pay commission if it sells. Ebay has been good to me.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 10:06:17 PM PDT
Yes to all that, but if you pay commission, you also pay commission on the shipping, which is my point. Are you saying you don't?

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 10:11:09 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
If you go through pitney bowes paypal then you do but if you have a separate USPS account then you don't. Also you can go to the Post Office , you don't have to ship through ebay's newer shipping method.

Posted on May 13, 2012 10:24:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 13, 2012 10:41:56 PM PDT
Sha Gojyo says:
sell to a pawn shop, they'll give you at least 30% of how much the movie is worth brand new.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 10:31:27 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
I think the 1500 titles are all used.

Posted on May 13, 2012 10:40:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 13, 2012 10:56:02 PM PDT
Sha Gojyo says:
would be alot better to just sell them 1 - 5 or more movies at a time insted of for the whole collection at once, cause people wouldn't want to pay for the shipping of the whole collection if you were to sell it online. 160 blu-ray movies i would think would weigh alot and cost probably more than $100 in shipping and handling costs alone, depending how far the buyer lives.

Posted on May 13, 2012 10:46:55 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
Sell it on ebay as a auction and start it out at $00.01 then don't put a reserve price limit on it and after seven days or however long you set it for the highest bidder wins. If you are worried about the shipping , you can send it Greyhound for a modest fee. I shipped a 19" CRT TV, VCR , Boombox before in a really big box and it only cost me $19.99 to ship it through Greyhound.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 11:39:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 13, 2012 11:41:03 PM PDT
Sha Gojyo says:
umm, the Greyhound you know of maybe a package delivery company where you come from. but here in the USA it's a passenger city bus company that carries passengers to destinations XD.

Posted on May 14, 2012 10:30:28 AM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
That's a pretty nice collection you have there. You might regret sometime in the future having sold them. Is there no other way you could get the money you need? Extra part time jobs or something. I would just hate to see you regret the sale later.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 11:56:23 AM PDT
Green Meanie says:
They also ship packages on those very same buses. The buyer just has to pick up the heavy package from the grey hound bus station near their home. Just an option to ship very big and heavy boxes across the US. Much cheaper than Fedex, DHL, UPS, USPS. Plus some of these services will NOT take certain size and very heavy boxes.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 1:09:54 PM PDT
I go back and forth. I would love to keep the collection, but I'm also trying to be responsible with my finances.

Posted on May 14, 2012 2:13:21 PM PDT
Bassam says:
I'd gladly take them off you, please contact me on moosawi99@hotmail.com. I'm sure we can negotiate a good price. I can even wire you the money.
Let me know.

Posted on May 14, 2012 6:47:42 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
Law of Depreciation = The moment you purchase something new and you open it , it depreciates in value. Also rule of supply and demand. Your selections are not in demand so you will not be making a profit but expect to lose money on it. You might not even break even here. You might consider opening a movie rental operation from your dorm room and charge money to your classmates.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 6:50:37 PM PDT
Don't mean to be too caustic here, but I don't need an economics lesson. I've been buying and selling blu-rays for a while, mostly picking up mid-sized lots, keeping the ones I want, and re-selling the rest. I'm perfectly aware that I'll be looking at a roughly 50% decrease in value. All things considered, that's actually about what the current price tag reflects. That said, I'm aware that the current price is high, and that was by design. Anyone looking for something like this is going to want to dicker the price down, so I wanted to give it some leeway.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 6:53:43 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
I wish I could give more helpful advice.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 7:11:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 14, 2012 7:15:06 PM PDT
Sha Gojyo says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on May 14, 2012 7:15:20 PM PDT
Sha Gojyo says:
if you need money that bad, why not ask your relatives for a loan till you can get back on your feet or somthing?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  82
Initial post:  May 4, 2012
Latest post:  May 29, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions