Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

Official Petition for Amazon to Separate Blu-ray Reviews from DVD Reviews

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 291 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2011 9:55:54 AM PST
Not the Guru,

"Before I even open up Ebay, Amazon, NewEgg, Buydig...whatever...I already know what I want, I'm just looking for the best place to get it. "

In that case you don't care about customer reviews, so get the heck out of this discussion. Please.

If you want to whine about product descriptions, do what everyone else does, start a new discussion. See if anyone else cares about your issues without screwing up discussions you have nothing to add to.

Please!

Posted on Jan 7, 2011 9:57:18 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 1, 2011 1:42:22 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2011 9:59:17 AM PST
Sorry, I thought I could plead to the humanity in Not the Guru if there is any left. Epic fail on my part ;o)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2011 9:59:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2011 10:00:54 AM PST
A/V guru says:
Customer review, product review and editorial review, on this website at least, circle in the same exact situation.

Look at GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra.

There are 3 separate listings for the Blu Ray. If you go look, only this ASIN has ANY details: B002NXSRX4

Amazon, to save space on the database, lets that one ASIN be the "complete description" for all other versions of the movie. Then, for some strange reason, all editorial and customer reviews are linked to all.

But, Amazon is "just a store". I don't expect, and have never expected, a store to provide me details on small goods. I don't expect to walk into Ace Hardware and ask 10 questions about which light bulb works best for me. Likewise, I don't expect Amazon to provide all sorts of details about every light bulb. Do your homework before you shop. Yes it would be nice for them to include details about specific BD/DVD. But, if you are here, you can surely use Google.

I'd rather Google an outside source than rely on a website that makes money from me, to provide me with information. Do your homework first, then shop.

But yes. If Amazon cares, they could at least separate some things.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2011 10:09:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2011 10:14:42 AM PST
Almost on topic there Guru, but can you get your facts straight there, bozo?

"Customer review, product review and editorial review, on this website at least, circle in the same exact situation."

Nope.

Editorial reviews do not "float" from version to version. Check out all the Wizard of Oz editorial Reviews. The paragraph about the movie is the same in all, which is valid because it is the same movie in all cases. But the product descriptions by Amazon change from item to item because the items are different.

Can you please come up with a real complaint instead of making stuff up that just is not true! Please! And if it does not pertain to the topic, please start a new topic! The Humanity!

The Wizard of Oz (70th Anniversary Edition) [Blu-ray]
The Wizard of Oz (Three-Disc Emerald Edition) [Blu-ray]
The Wizard of Oz (70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition) [Blu-ray]
Wizard of Oz [Blu-ray]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2011 10:23:47 AM PST
A/V guru says:
Ok, my point about GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra is valid.

So, you found one movie (out of how many?) where there the editorial reviews are separate. Good for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2011 10:33:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2011 10:42:44 AM PST
Found an example on my first try, simple because you are wrong. Editorial Reviews are editorial reviews, dork. If the editor on Amazon feels that another edtion of the same movie only needs the same comments, that is the editor's prerogotive. Hence - editorial review. Nothing about the website is functionally using editorial reviews across all versions of the same movie, otherwise ALL movies would act the same (like customer reviews). In this case only one case is needed to prove you wrong, because you claim there is a systematic problem that impacts everything.

And in your Rise of the Cobra example, only one of the 3 listings even has an editorial review, so obviously they do not travel from edition to edition. Even your example proves you wrong. Epic Fail.

Bad for you, dorkus.

Edit - actually two of the Cobra editions have editorial reviews, one text only, the other text and photos. Still very different. Even bigger Epic Fail.

Posted on Jan 7, 2011 10:42:07 AM PST
YES!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2011 11:36:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2011 11:39:27 AM PST
Anders Blom says:
Jonathan A. Chang says:
"This petition is nothing new. I think the problem here you guys don't see is that since none of the current reviews are attached to particular versions of a movie, it will be a sorting nightmare to make sure all existing reviews go to the right place."

Sorry, but you are wrong.

The customers review is for ONE specific item. Each and every single review on Amazon is already linked to ONE item and NOT to an entire family of items, regardless if the customer has bought the item that they are reviewing from Amazon. All Amazon needs to do is link ONLY the reviews that pertain to the specific item being viewed.

The reason this happens is because the customer HAS to go to a SPECIFIC product page to make the review, thus the review is linked to that product.

That's why when you see a review it will say: "This review is from: The Complete Metropolis [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)".

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2011 11:42:25 AM PST
Anders Blom says:
Rick,

Don't get me wrong, but you are a downer, man. :P

We are up to 28 of 29 people now! This can move forward, even if it does take 3 years.

Now get out there and spread the word.

Posted on Jan 7, 2011 7:27:16 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 7, 2011 7:28:59 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2011 12:48:18 AM PST
Home Shopper says:
YES.

Posted on Jan 8, 2011 9:47:18 AM PST
Yes, needs to be done.

Posted on Jan 8, 2011 9:56:38 AM PST
yes

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2011 9:57:21 AM PST
yes

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2011 12:49:00 PM PST
JNagarya says:
Each different release, both DVD and blu-ray, should have a separate review page.

There are instances of so-called "public domain" films released by 4 and 5 different off-/gray-/black-market publishers. As to quality of print and transfer some are absolute junk, some are acceptable, and occasionally one is excellent. With all reviews lumped together one hasn't a clue which review applies to which release, so one either doesn't buy any release, or buys blind and gets what might be the worst of the releases.

That needs to change.

And reviewers need to modify their habits: instead of telling everyone what the film is about (either the person interested in the film already knows, or wants to find out for himself), review the quality of the product -- print, transfer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2011 12:54:22 PM PST
Not everyone knows what a movie is about before they browse it. I have done searches on actors (more commonly actresses, actually), to see if any of their other movies sound interesting. Please do not assume your point of view applies to everyone, because it does not.

Posted on Jan 8, 2011 12:59:23 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Aug 22, 2011 12:52:08 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2011 1:06:11 PM PST
Looks like someone is in serious need of dictionary for both spelling (vacuum) and definitions (hypocrisy).

What exactly is hypocritical about advocating research, then claiming to do research?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2011 1:33:39 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 1, 2011 1:42:24 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2011 2:41:36 PM PST
A/V guru says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2011 2:45:41 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 8, 2011 2:46:30 PM PST
HELL YES!!!

Posted on Jan 8, 2011 2:52:28 PM PST
Yes i agree!

Posted on Jan 8, 2011 3:22:05 PM PST
W. mccallum says:
Totally agree with this as well as think the reviews for video games should also be seperate from each console and PC. Too often a blu-ray has the quality of a dvd and isn't worth the 25 bucks.....just like hit games like Fallout New Vegas and COD Black Ops were great on the xbox and ps3, but were horrific on the PC. Lets hope not only amazon.com does this, but other sites as well.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  99
Total posts:  291
Initial post:  Jan 5, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 9, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions