Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

Blu-ray Sucks! Amazon keeps pushing a format that I hate and will never buy.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 469 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2011 6:34:51 PM PST
A M says:
In Manhattan $200,000 is middle class. In Los Angeles it is upper middle class. Wealth all depends where you live. I live in Los Angeles. My friend bought a condo in Atlanta, GA for the amount of money that I was trying to save up for a downpayment on a place.

But across the board there is a huge jump from "Upper Middle Class" to outright "wealthy."

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 9:31:20 PM PST
douglasG says:
HD-dvd=large capacity dvd. Max size of 25gigs. No hard coating, exactly the same as regular dvds they are prone to scratches.
Blu-ray=large capacity dvd. Max size of 50gigs. Hard coated discs that resist scratches and finger prints.

The discs are just containers to hold media. Both HD-dvd and Blu-ray contain the exact same video and audio.

Both players use a blue laser to read the media off a disc.

So why is Blu-ray superior?

Answer is irrelevant. Blu-ray won the war. Toshiba lost. HD-dvd is a dead format.

Yet, people are replying to this obviously bogus thread? A lot of bored and or extremely naive people have answered this loser. Sad that so many feel it necessary to feed trolls.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2011 4:47:09 AM PST
bfore13 says:
"Both HD-dvd and Blu-ray contain the exact same video and audio."

HD-DVD capacity was 30GB not 25GB. How would they contain the same AV if BD hold 20GB more? There are definitely BDs out there that nearly fill a 50GB disc and that's w/o a bunch of extras (Avatar comes to mind).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2011 5:51:16 AM PST
"Yet, people are replying to this obviously bogus thread? A lot of bored and or extremely naive people have answered this loser. Sad that so many feel it necessary to feed trolls. "

Do I really need to point out the irony of this statement? or should we hand you a mirror?

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 9:48:12 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
I just opened this evening a BD rental that broke in two as I removed it from its shipping sleeve. I didn't think such a thing was possible, but there it was.

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 2:26:42 AM PST
Sha Gojyo says:
you're gonna have to get used to the idea of buying blu-ray movies, pretty soon in the near future, DVD and HD-DVDs are not gonna exist anymore, blu-rays can hold alot more data than any DVD format, for example, look at the movie Band of Brothers, it takes 5 or 6 DVD discs to cover the whole movie, I havn't seen the blu-ray version of the movie, but i'm sure it's all in 1 blu-ray disc, another example that makes blu-ray superior is the game LA Noire, for X360, LA Noire comes with 3 discs... thats pretty pathetic! for PS3 it only takes 1 blu-ray disc, if M$ is smart, they would make their next game system use a blu-ray drive for it's games, insted of DVD.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2011 5:58:32 AM PST
JVAN says:
Band of Brothers is a TV show. All together it's 705 minutes. DVD and BD versions are both 6 discs. I have seen it on BD though. The audio and video are first rate. Of course that HD content takes up a lot more room than the SD DVD A/V.

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 9:21:48 AM PST
Cavaradossi says:
Sha Gojyo

Studios may be able to put TV shows on fewer BDs then DVDs per set, but they still charge considerably more for the BD version. Also, they don't always use fewer BDs, as was mentioned by JVAN. So, I'm not sure of your point.

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 12:09:17 PM PST
Sha Gojyo says:
>>>Studios may be able to put TV shows on fewer BDs then DVDs per set, but they still charge considerably more for the BD version.<<<

depends on where you buy the BD movies and BDs will be expensive for a while, till somthing better comes up in the future, BDs have 50GB of space in em, so i'm sure thats why they're not so cheap.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 2:56:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2011 3:00:00 PM PST
douglasG says:
C. Barbus wrote in reply to douglasG
""Yet, people are replying to this obviously bogus thread? A lot of bored and or extremely naive people have answered this loser. Sad that so many feel it necessary to feed trolls. "

Do I really need to point out the irony of this statement? or should we hand you a mirror?"

You did not have to point out the obvious but you did. Feel better now?

No comment on what else I wrote?

douglasG also wrote
"HD-dvd=large capacity dvd. Max size of 25gigs. No hard coating, exactly the same as regular dvds they are prone to scratches.
Blu-ray=large capacity dvd. Max size of 50gigs. Hard coated discs that resist scratches and finger prints.

The discs are just containers to hold media. Both HD-dvd and Blu-ray contain the exact same video and audio.

Both players use a blue laser to read the media off a disc.

So why is Blu-ray superior?

Answer is irrelevant. Blu-ray won the war. Toshiba lost. HD-dvd is a dead format."

The OP obviously started this thread to annoy people. I am annoyed so I responded to this bogus thread. It is good entertainment to rile people up right? Having a chuckle at others expense is great fun right?
I don't see the fun in it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 3:04:37 PM PST
JVAN says:
Whoa! The troll thread has been trolled.

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 3:15:29 PM PST
maiden pa. says:
Buy the colorful movie House of Flying Daggers.Then tell me Blu Ray isn't better.I own it and watched on my 27 in computer moniter.Awesome picture quality.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 4:05:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2011 4:06:11 PM PST
DouglasG,

"You did not have to point out the obvious but you did. Feel better now?"

If it is that obvious that this is a troll thread and it is "Sad that so many feel it necessary to feed trolls. " then why are you being one of the sad people you are talking about by making all these points? Doesn't that actually make you the saddest, because you recognize people are being manipulated, yet you still proceed to be one of the manipulated? Apparently it is not that obvious, eh?

Besides that, maybe you better fact check better on your points. For instance, investigate the capacity of HD DVD (Hint- involves the number 15).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 4:18:01 PM PST
douglasG says:
C.Barbus, by continuing to point out any flaw you may find in my post what does this make you out to be?
Enjoying yourself?

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 4:19:10 PM PST
Pot and kettle. Get a room, please.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 5:14:22 PM PST
A jerk and not really.

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 5:26:48 PM PST
netman says:
What is your definition of a troll thread? Normally it is someone posting nonsense to get a reaction. That is not the case here. The original poster is an HD DVD supporter who has his own website for bringing back HD DVD. Therefore, this is a discussion thread as to why Blu Ray is superior and for people who may be sitting on the fence, to go ahead and jump in. There is also discussion of technology so the only trolls here are the folks claiming this is a troll thread without bothering to read any of the posts.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 6:21:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2011 6:22:09 PM PST
JVAN says:
I think you have failed to read the OP initial post. It is NOT what you just stated. It's full of BS regarding blu-ray (flimsy discs, high speed causing friction and damage, etc.), and mostly a rant about AZ pushing blu-ray for recommendations. Yeah, it's nonsense, and apparently the 266 out of 282 people who voted the OP as unhelpful think it's BS as well. I'll stand by those numbers instead of your lack of simple research (ie reading the OP).

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 6:29:34 PM PST
I bet you still are waiting for Laser Discs to come back.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 6:51:49 PM PST
douglasG says:
Hd-dvd was Toshiba's baby. Toshiba still makes the same players with their great up-conversion chips today. Only difference is they are now Blu-ray players.

netman, you wrote "this is a discussion thread as to why Blu Ray is superior and for people who may be sitting on the fence, to go ahead and jump in. There is also discussion of technology"

Yes people are commenting on such and a lot of good has been said. However, all of it can be said in its 'own thread' without all this HD-dvd being discussed(Toshiba makes Blu-ray players now).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 5:17:28 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 17, 2011 7:16:15 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 5:34:48 AM PST
CharlesO says:
No doubt he's an occupy protestor. it's Blu Ray's fault........

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 9:41:47 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2012 9:44:17 AM PST
netman says:
Stop pirating and buy a legitimate copy and you won't have that problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2012 9:47:48 AM PST
all my dvd are purchased through amazon.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  171
Total posts:  469
Initial post:  Jun 22, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions