Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

D-BOX is better than 3D

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 58 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:59:40 AM PST
Aron says:
>the D-Box platform should be sold for under $400, in my opinion.

Wow, there are some crazies on these boards.

Forget the cost of the theater seats, the pistons, or even the stepper motors that drive the pistons. Even just the controllers for the stepper motors cost thousands:

http://www.thorlabs.com/NewGroupPage9.cfm?ObjectGroup_ID=1704&gclid=CLSn2sSWrLQCFUZgMgodVF4AHw

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2011 6:18:06 AM PST
I really have to stop paying attention at work and read these posts better. ;o)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2011 11:22:35 PM PST
C. Barbus,

He already did: "Some will have the D-box code right on the disc! On newer D-box controllers you just pop it in and the coding is added to your internal hard drive (with-out that cumbersome internet downloading - Ha-Ha)."

You're welcome.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2011 8:06:19 PM PST
Roy,

It is normal for D-box, Not the Guru and Chang just don't quite understand how the whole thing works with the motion codes. Please explain it to them, because they do not believe the D-box website itself.

Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2011 1:18:16 PM PST
A/V guru says:
Zander...

I am a CES regular. Been the last 7 years for Directv. Directv was in talks last year to include D-Box with their feeds of HBO, Cinemax etc. So far, nothing has come of that. Retarbus is basically trying to dredge up a conversation where he was wrong(still is). D-Box isn't supposed to need an internet connection on, last count, 75% of their new releases. They are trying to get that down to 0%(not very likely).

The CES D-Box demo was the "new"(not out yet) Need for Speed. That game, with the D-box, simply rocked.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2011 12:07:33 PM PST
C. Barbus, we've already covered this before, but some discs come with D-Box Motion Codes on the disc, so an internet connection is not required. This was documented at the AVSForum, which I provided you a link the last time around.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2011 9:00:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2011 9:38:21 AM PST
Roy Zander says:
C.Barbus:

Is it abnormal to download the codes from the internet?? They are available to those with a subscription (which is free the 1st year).

Firmware updates are downloaded on Blu-ray players by internet. That's pretty normal. The D-box controller has a hard drive that stores the codes. A different code is required for each version / language of a film or if it was released in a different country. I was surprised to find the movie "Up" having 16 different codes!

D-box creates new codes continually. Their website lists everything available, including new and upcoming releases. Yesterday, I got 15 updates - 2 of them were new movies! - the others were upgrades such as: adding Blu-ray to the DVD codes and/or languages,director cuts, etc, to existing movies already on the HD.

To show you that D-box is emerging in a big way, check the back label on your Blu-rays. Some will have the D-box code right on the disc! On newer D-box controllers you just pop it in and the coding is added to your internal hard drive (with-out that cumbersome internet downloading - Ha-Ha). Widescreen Review magazine even reviews the motion experience of Blu-rays that have the coding on the disc!

Movie studios believe in D-box. There are currently about 1000 movies that are D-box encoded. That translates to 10,000 to 15,000 codes that are on my controller. The 40 gig HD is about 1/4 full - new controllers have double the HD space or you can use your PCs hard drive to store your codes.

*How many 3D movies are available, now?? Not so many. - Yet, way more people have heard about 3D compared to D-box. I used to be crazy about laserdiscs. They were the superior format then, but largely unheard of by most people. I stretched the ear and converted a few of my friends, though.

This is my humble effort to educate the masses about a hobby I'm nuts about.

***Edit: Hey A/V Guru: Hope this helps you, too. Unfortunately, companies don't always send the brightest bulbs to demo equipment. (Canadian) - (just kidding!) Ever asked a homeshow rep any technical question? I wanna go to the CES sometime. You're lucky!

***Hey what gives, knuckleheads - am I the monkey or the retarbus???***

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2011 8:10:58 AM PST
A/V guru says:
Well, then D-Box needed to do a better job at their 2011 CES demo. They were asked if a "live" internet connection were necessary. All the D-Box people said "The cues are on the disc."

I specifically asked that question to the guy running the demo.

Their own website(which is apparently wrong) still states the codes are imbedded in more and more movies/games.

So, Retarbus, if you want to harp about D-Box...write them a letter.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2011 7:41:44 AM PST
Not the Guru,

Did you notice the fact that D-Box users have to download the motion codes from the internet? This is from someone who actually has the product. Don't you feel stupid, now (again)? LOL (again). This just goes to show us that the loudest monkey isn't always the right monkey. (Please if Amazon questions this post, realize that I just called myself a monkey, too).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2011 7:00:13 AM PST
Roy Zander says:
Mr. Chang:

touche` and well put. I totally agree with you.
D-box is certainly an expensive luxury. If I didn't get it for 15% of retail (it's 6 years used) I'd have nothing to rant and rave about. It was a big sacrifice. Now, I would spend even more after having had my mind so incredibly blown by it.

To: Walking Tall:
You're right, too. My only experience is in northern Utah. Here, a nice home costs $100K - 400K. Many homes I remodel are even more! Of course there are always deals to be had.

D-box most recent motion code releases: Unstoppable, Red, Jackass 3, Salt, The Losers.
If a movie is in the theaters in D-box, the code will often be released the same day as the Blu-ray. Other shows take longer. (Transformers 2 took 3 months. I ended up not even opening that disk until the motion code came out )

I'm always trying to cut down on my Blu-ray purchases (it's like an addiction), but admittedly, I've bought some movies just because D-box came out with a motion code the day of the release (The Expendables)

This weekend, I'm looking forward to rewatching Unstoppable and Red. I'll also see Jackass 3 for the 1st time (another show I only bought because it was D-box coded [along with strong encouragement from my teenagers]).

Here's hoping more people get a chance to try out D-box - I want to here from YOU!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2011 3:49:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 25, 2011 8:58:59 PM PDT
Walking Tall says:
Roy Zander:

(Hey Walking Tall; - I sincerely hope you don't live in a $40K home.)

In my business of remodeling, 1 person will spend $7K for a kitchen and another will spend $45K.

No, I don't live in a 40K home, and I don't live in mansion either. What's wrong with a 40K home if I did lived in one? Just because a house may cost 40K, doesn't indicate it's uninhabitable (if that's what you're insinuating!) The value of real estate vary from state to state, depending on the location, and there are some beautiful homes on the market within that price range, from financial institution foreclosures, and private owner sales. So you have customers who'll pay an astronomical amount of money to remodel their homes, that what's they're suppose to do, to increase, and maintain the value of their property. As a home owner myself, improvements are expected periodically, so therefore it normal. Owning real estate, is an investment!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2011 11:12:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 9, 2011 11:13:38 AM PST
"Do you build your own speaker enclosures, too? -oops, sorry about the sarcasm :( "

And...? You apparently think that if you feel good about a purchase, then it must be worth any price. No... the bill of materials doesn't phase you. Not at all. You get what you paid for... at least what you feel like you paid for. Like that new car smell... Or the feeling of watching that brand new 100" LCD that you bought for $10k.

Anyway, to answer your question, I don't build my own enclosures, but I know the cost of MDF -- or particle board; I know the cost of the veneer that might cover the enclosure -- or cheap vinyl paint for the people that don't give a crap about the quality of what they bought as long as the dealer made them feel like they made a good purchase. And as far as I'm concerned, the enclosure doesn't even matter that much in a speaker; what matters are the drivers, the crossovers, the wiring and binding posts, and the damping -- and yes, those Blackhole 5 speaker dampers are expensive even if you bought them wholesale!!

My whole point is that you're bedazzled by the 6-axis actuators "used by NASA"...

I'm not here to convince you on the value of your purchase, only why me -- and I hazard to guess 95% of the population -- won't buy into D-Box any time soon; for the same reason we won't invest in a $5k-20k Carada masking system for the projection screen. The bill of materials don't come anywhere close to the cost. And by close, I think I mean 30%.

I even bought a Panamorph anamorphic lens, which is literally 2-3 pieces of glass in an enclosure, for about $2000. I know glass is expensive, and it is expensive to do broadband coating so the glass could pass through light.

So besides what you've read about D-Box from their marketing pamphlet, what do you actually know about D-Box actuators? -- Nevermind. You buy whatever you want to buy, and I'll buy after my due diligence tells me it's worth the purchase price. That's all it comes down to.

I don't care if it feels like an injection of crack on a seat, or an orgy with supermodels. If it ain't worth it, it ain't worth it...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2011 7:31:41 AM PST
Roy Zander says:
I, too am happy with older cars. I like home-cooked meals. Don't care to travel. I DO enjoy the occasional invitation for camping or hunting.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2011 7:19:56 AM PST
A/V guru says:
My cousin is getting ready to do a 4000sf addition to their house. That 4000sf is only going to be 3 rooms. Brand new kitchen(the weak spot of the current house), a 2 "level" bedroom with walk-in closets. The third part will be an "interior garden room".

I'm trying to get him to finally get HD. They still watch a 24" Sony flat tube. There are two HD capable TV's in the house, that were left by the prior owners, cause they didn't want to move them. They finally purchased a BD player for the big projection TV. People do have different priorities.

His money and spare time go to a Pacer, a Gremlin and a '48 Farmall. He's probably the only doctor in Indiana that drives a Pacer to work. They have 2 basically brand new Subaru Foresters for "inclement weather" and an enormous truck/trailer to take the Farmall where it needs to go.

Posted on Mar 8, 2011 10:01:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2011 10:25:08 PM PST
Roy Zander says:
Mr. Chang;
It's obvious you haven't read any other posts besides my first one. Lots of info there - like reasons for the high cost, cheaper alternatives, and facts like the motion moving your body 3/4 of an inch (not over 3 inches) - in sync with the movie. It's a SIMULATION (as in "incredibly realistic illusion").

True 6 axis hydraulic manipulation is FAR from simple. The shuttle ride at The Star Trek Experience in Las Vegas used a 6 axis motion simulator and a projected movie. It made you feel like you were really flying through space during a battle. (It was hard on my stomach, though.) The D-box platforms use 4 actuators (1 in each corner) - the chairs use 3. They are operated by a computer controller which feeds a huge power supply feeding the actuators - all synchronized to the movie you're watching on your blu-ray player. Not as simple as you think, - and not cheap, either.
I don't see why you knock something you haven't tried. You'd probably find it 'otherworldly' - (in a good way).

Again, where are hydraulic actuators found on a car???

Do you build your own speaker enclosures, too? -oops, sorry about the sarcasm :(

I've found you usually get what you pay for in life. Rip-offs don't last long in the marketplace. It's the American way to charge more for novelty/early-adopter items until they become mainstream and affordable. D-box has been around a lot of years now. The platform I've had for 5 months is over 6 years old. The introduction in local theaters was less than a year ago. It's going to take off in a big way. IMO

(Hey Walking Tall; - I sincerely hope you don't live in a $40K home.)

In my business of remodeling, 1 person will spend $7K for a kitchen and another will spend $45K. It's a simple matter of values and what you consider important. (Oh yea, there's the budget,too.) There's no right or wrong (or any reward for being the biggest tightwad, for that matter).

I'm obviously a home theater fanatic. I can admit that. I can be a tightwad, too. I educate myself immensely before I spend a lot of money. Being a part-time musician my whole life, I know what each instrument of the orchestra sounds like and I NEED that in my home theater, too. The gear costs. I sacrifice for things I really want - bust my butt for 10 - 16 hours a day when necessary. Luckily, I LOVE my work. I tell myself what I tell my friends and customers,

"It only hurts until its paid for".
That way you're really acquiring something you can be proud of - and won't need to regret later, because you were making a penny squeal.

I find the acquisition of home theater gear pales in comparison to sharing it with family, friends and new-comers alike.
-As often as possible!- :)

Edit: sorry for the long post - what a windbag

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2011 7:18:08 PM PST
yes, check out their website, all are listed

Posted on Mar 8, 2011 6:59:00 PM PST
jSten says:
Any video games support this? D Box sounds more suitable for flight sims or driving games.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2011 6:26:37 PM PST
I'm stumped as to why you think it takes tens of thousands of dollars to get a little bit of accuracy. This is the same attitude that allows custom blinds manufacturers to bilk us on motorized blind openers that cost thousands of dollars. When's the last time you've used one of those things, and how's the accuracy? Not bad I think. After all, when you close your blinds, you expect it to land in the exact same place. I've seen avid DIY'ers on AVSForum built these things for about a hundred bucks.

I don't profess to know everything there is to know about motors, pulleys, and actuators; but a simple 6-axis under a seat sure as hell isn't going to cost as much as a BMW 335i.

On top of that... do you really think you have the capacity to detect whether the chair is vibrating at 75Hz or 76Hz, or whether it's rolling 10 or 11 degrees to the left, or whether it has shifted 3.5 or 3.7 inches to the right? I think that's a marketing gimmick.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2011 3:49:28 PM PST
Roy Zander says:
Jonathan, You're right
- I don't know much at all about hydraulic actuators for cars. The huge price difference is probably accuracy and precision and a large remodel of ones entire home theater as I explained 9 posts ago.

Hmmmmm,accuracy and precision - kind of like why some speakers cost more than others. What are hydraulic actuators used for in cars? I've done lots of auto mechanics in my day and am stumped as to how you could make that comparison.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2011 3:23:22 PM PST
turkish says:
Jonathan, I thought the same thing, but couldn`t put it to words. well said.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2011 2:16:23 PM PST
Roy Zander, superior when compared to what? So it can vibrate up to 150 times per minute. That might sound fancy to you, 0-150Hz, and you can buy a hydraulic actuator for your car, which I'm sure takes hundreds of times the pressure of that D-Box couch, for maybe $400. So where does the $40k price tag come from?

D-Box is like Bose and Monster Cables in that regard. Sure, spend money on superior equipment, but know where your money is going.

Posted on Mar 8, 2011 10:24:13 AM PST
A/V guru says:
Just checking. I don't usually correct people when English isn't their first language.

You type it better than most high schoolers do anyway.

I read/write/speak Spanish, Italian and Russian.
Read/speak Danish and Portuguese. (can write sentences, but paragraphs...no way)
Speak enough Chinese and Japanese to get around and order off a menu.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2011 10:15:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2011 10:20:34 AM PST
turkish says:
what does it matter? are you a walking dictionary man? hydraulics, hydrolics whatever. everyone gets the point.

wel no. english is not my first language. I started learning it when I was 19. it`s my fourth language actually. I also speak some german a tiny bit italian and of course my native language Turkish.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2011 10:04:16 AM PST
A/V guru says:
Turkish,

Just so I know...is English not your first language?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2011 9:59:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2011 10:00:30 AM PST
turkish says:
all right Roy. since you seem to be so geniunely excited about it, I promise I will check it out if I run into it at a retail store. i`m sure it`s fun for an hour or 2. but i unnestly can see how those vibrations might get annoying real quick. I`m not convinced it`s worth thousands of dollars to invest on. at least not for me. but I`ll take a ride if I see it.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  58
Initial post:  Mar 4, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions