Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage  McCartney Shop Now Retro Toys Deal
Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

blu-ray DTS 2 channel stereo

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 27, 2012 2:36:10 PM PDT
F. B. Sapia says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2012 3:13:40 PM PDT
These are lossless audio tracks of the ORIGINAL soundtracks, that were in stereo. Some people value preservation of the original product over added bells and whistles to an already quality product. Also, re-engineering the soundtracks could cause errors or bad mixes. Chill out, man. Don't have a cow.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2012 3:38:43 PM PDT
F. B. Sapia says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012 12:51:01 AM PDT
EdM says:
"why now in 2012 do I have to watch these movies without even a center channel speaker for dialogue."

Have you tried listening, e.g. by renting, to see if having only a two channel mix is in fact a problem? I listen to regular TV, stereo CDs, and even vinyl records from time to time, with no problems at all. I listen to older films with stereo or even mono soundtracks, and I have no problems at all except for a very few which have a problem with the audio.

There are many reasons why only 2 channel, including money, remastering cost, disk space for higher channel audio, etc. With Presumed innocent, Frantic & Presumed Innocent [Blu-ray], this is two movies on a single BD disc, so fewer channels means less disc space. OTOH, it is apparently in DTS Master 2.0 audio. Plus, be sure to get the latter, 2011 one, as at least one user review mentions faulty audio in the 2010 dated one.

Likewise, "The Piano" is also in lossless DTS HD Master 2.0 audio. Back in the day, before high definition came to television, there were many attempts to make lossy/artificial 5.1 from stereo original soundtracks. With today's HDTV and lossless high definition audio possible, many studios are going back to original stereo mixes in higher quality, unless they take the time and effort to do an expensive remaster of the whole movie including audio, if original audio tracks/materials are even still available. Many of those artificial, lossy, multitrack audio mixes were not very good, and this would clearly be revealed in today's high definition audio movie viewing situation.

See this review of "Presumed Innocent", e.g., about the sound:

"Both Presumed Innocent and Frantic have been granted a capable DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 stereo track and, once again, the age of the films -- not the studio's technical efforts -- are responsible for any sonic shortcomings. I'm sure some will be upset that Warner didn't provide snazzy 5.1 remixes, but I couldn't be happier. I'd much rather listen to a faithful two-channel reproduction like the two presented here than wallow in the murky waters of an artificial soundfield..."

Bear in mind that if you have a problem with 2 channel audio, that reviewers find to be fine, this may reveal an issue with the audio gear of your home theater, or particularly how it is set up in the room where it is being used.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012 8:52:38 AM PDT
F. B. Sapia says:
I don't know I guess after getting my firsy Pro-Logic receiver so many years ago I just got used to having a center channel and not having to sit in the sweet spot for dialogue to appear to be coming off the screen. As far as my audio gear I have a Pioneer Elite receiver and Klipsch Reference speakers so I think it does the job. As far as music goes I only listen in stereo and hate surround, but thats music.Most of the titles I replaced were either DVD or laserdisc and if I have to trade sound quality for picture quality(and some picture quality isn't that great) I think I'll just stick with the DVD. By the way most of these lossless soundtracks are great on new films, but most catalog titles are just so so.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012 9:02:50 AM PDT
EdM says:
Even with good quality sound gear [I have owned some Pioneer Elite in the past myself], in some rooms there is the possibility of sound reflections from walls, the floor, possibly a table surface, etc., which can mess up the sound. My wife liked a large-ish glass coffee table which was placed in the LR where my main stereo is, and it took some time for me to realize the amount of negative effect [significant] on the sound from my high quality stereo separates setup.

I agree that having a center speaker with centered dialog can make it easier for a group all to better hear the dialog, but at the expense of directionality when all dialog is steered to the center.

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 11:22:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 28, 2012 12:18:14 PM PDT
In many theater setups for surround sound (5.1, whatever) the audio isn't at all good. The speakers hanging on the side walls often don't match the quality or characteristics of the speakers behind the screen and you are always aware of this difference, which is simply annoying. .

The same thing with many home installations; Having a center speaker with different characteristics from the two left/right speakers will compromise the sound of the whole system. The same with the rear speakers that don't match the front speakers. They produce a very artificial unrealistic effect.

I listen on two B & W monitor speakers which sound just fine to me with anything I put through them. If I were to go to a surround set up, I would not try to find speakers that match the ones I have. I would start from scratch with a completely new system having a speaker array from the same manufacturer. B & W makes a complete home surround speaker system that I could consider -- hideously expensive, of course.

By the way, what about listening on headphones? We have to settle for two channel stereo there, don't we?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012 12:18:30 PM PDT
Jake says:
Nope, you cannot apply Pro Logic II to DTS, DTS-HD or DTS-HD MA soundtracks, even though you can for two-channel Dolby Digital, TrueHD, etc. I found this annoying too, but there's an easy fix: just set up your Blu-ray player to send out PCM instead of bitstreaming if you're going to watch a movie with this type of soundtrack. Then you can apply Pro Logic and get the center speaker activated.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012 1:52:40 PM PDT
F. B. Sapia says:
Thank You Jake I'll try that. You,ve solved my problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012 9:36:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 28, 2012 9:37:40 PM PDT
Techie says:

Don't know what kind of cheap receiver you have or where you get your information, but most name brand receivers can apply any type of matrix processing to any type of input, digital or analog. Most receivers are only going to see DTS HD MA, and Dolby True HD as another encoded algorithm. If you can apply Dolby Pro Logic to Dolby Digital 2.0 then and DTS 2.0 then you can apply it to True HD and HD MA. The receiver doesn't care. I'm sure that DVD's that had DTS 2.0 audio and not been able to apply Pro Logic would have been all over the internet but show me where you find any? Dolby Pro Logic and Pro Logic II are simply processors and not decoders. They were originally designed for analog soundtracks from VHS and TV. They don't care whether the soundtrack is encoded with Dolby or DTS. The soundtrack is decoded and then passed to the processor and the processor has no clue what the original format was. I have no problem with any matrixed track with my receiver. I get center channel on any matrixed track. If the track is not matrixed for surround sound, then you are not going to get a center channel. The soundtrack has to be matrixed with sum and difference phasing in the soundtrack for Dolby Pro Logic to work. It cannot determine Center, LR and RR from regular stereo information. And very few receivers can simulate surround from plain stereo tracks effectively.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Jul 27, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions