Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

John Carter on blu-ray

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 254 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 9:32:04 AM PDT
Green Meanie says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 5:57:29 AM PDT
Oskar2525 says:
You are invited!!

What: Oskar's 24 hour pool party staring John Carter!
Where: Oskar's place. That's the big house on the right with the giant pool. duh!
When: July 7th

Party starts with the sun rise. I will be serving breakfast, lunch and dinner, please bring a few snacks to share.
The pool will be open all day.
Once the moon comes up there will be a special showing of John Carter in 3D!!
Party until the sun comes up!!

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 1:13:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 5, 2012 1:13:56 PM PDT
Oskar2525 says:
Should we start a countdown to my party?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 12:21:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 4, 2012 12:26:13 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 11:19:00 PM PDT
JMM says:
It's $24.99 at Target, and $29.99 at Best Buy.

The Best Buy set comes with an exclusive bonus disc, a nice addition but I wouldn't pay more to get it. (They also had a bonus disc for the Pirates 4 blu-ray, and I was disappointed in that one because it didn't have much content on it.)

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 11:12:49 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
I got a $5.00 off coupon from Disney.com toward John Carter 4 disc combo set. Should I get it from Target or Worst Buy?

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 1:09:16 PM PDT
JMM says:
The Blu-Ray.com review for John Carter 3D has been posted. And while its not all positive, the good news is that it looks as though the film has very good image/audio quality. I look forward to seeing this again at home.

Excerpt from Blu-Ray.com review:
"John Carter was a box office flop, pure and simple. So can it redeem itself and find an audience on home video? I'm sure some will flock to the cozy comforts of its grand, Old Hollywood space adventure, but without outstanding performances, a stirring story or anything that might distinguish it and carry it through the ages, Stanton's throwback sci-fi romp is doomed to be just another CG spectacle; one that will continue to weaken as its CG becomes more and more archaic over the years. Thankfully, fans in the present can count on a fantastic Blu-ray release. While its 3D experience is nothing special, its video transfer is gorgeous, its DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 surround track is a blast, and its high-quality extras are worth taking in. Ultimately, though, if you don't have a lot of cash to spare, I'd recommend renting John Carter before taking any leaps of faith."

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 11:23:15 AM PDT
Green Meanie says:
Okay I see the Walmart Site now. I never got the English Walmart Ad today and I don't read Spanish so the Spanish Walmart had a picture of the Hunger Games Blu-ray / DVD / Digital Copy with Mockingjay Pendant Combo set. So it is a pre-order.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 8:29:16 PM PDT
Hunger Games is going to be released SATURDAY August 18th to accommodate Friday night/midnight release events.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8779

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 6:40:24 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
I got an advanced Walmart ad with a picture of the Hunger Games Blu-ray / DVD / Digital Copy Combo set with Exclusive Mockingjay Pendant. It is in Spanish Language. I will wait for the English ad on Sunday to confirm it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 6:19:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 2, 2012 6:20:34 PM PDT
JMM says:
EdM,

I think you are correct about many of your points. However, theatrical box office does matter a great deal. Even though the studio has to share box office grosses with the theaters, it is still the biggest portion of the revenue for most large films.

If you look at blu-ray sales charts, it is often the case that the top-grossing films of the year are also the top selling home video releases as well. Also, in an interview with Charlie Rose, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings says that the amount Netflix pays to license a film is directly correlated that film's theatrical box office gross.

So I do agree that theatrical box office is not everything; but a film's theatrical popularity does seem to be a good indicator of how well it will do in the on-demand and home video markets.

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 1:13:11 PM PDT
EdM says:
John Carter (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo)
or
John Carter (Four-Disc Combo: Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray/DVD + Digital Copy)

The price for JC normal BD is down to $22.99; perhaps it and the 3D price ($29.96) will drop further ... with a few more days to go.

Plus, talk about making or loosing $$$ for the studio, before DVD and BD sales are in, is premature as only a very small % of movies make money via theater distribution, w/o broadcast TV/cable revenues and DVD and BD sales. Even w/o considering "Hollywood accounting."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_accounting

"Due to Hollywood accounting, it has been estimated[citation needed] that only about 5% of movies officially show a net profit, and the "losers" include such blockbuster films as Rain Man, Forrest Gump, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and Batman, which all took in huge amounts in box office and video sales."

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 11:58:09 AM PDT
Zero of One says:
The Hunger Games won't be released until August 18th.

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 11:44:10 AM PDT
Green Meanie says:
John Carter will be released this week at Worst Buy for $29.99 & $24.99 with a trade in Coupon for $5.00 off. At Target it will be $24.99 without a trade in coupon. It will have competition because Hunger Games is also released this week.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 9:59:07 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 1:19:23 PM PDT
Oskar2525 says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 1:14:03 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:

Posted on May 31, 2012 9:50:54 AM PDT
Oskar2525 says:
Even you Jonathan A. Chang

Posted on May 30, 2012 8:53:53 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 30, 2012 8:53:59 AM PDT]

Posted on May 29, 2012 6:05:16 AM PDT
Oskar2525 says:

Posted on May 25, 2012 6:54:26 PM PDT
Todd Trenda says:
John Carter did not live up to the expectations that Disney had for it considering the rumored price tag of over $250 million, not including advertising. It looks like the final box office numbers for it stand at:
International: 210 million
Domestic: 72 million

Total of 282 million means that Disney lost money on the picture. I was hoping the film would do better as Andrew Stanton has made some amazing films for Pixar. I personally felt the movie was okay. I did not hate it but sure did not love it. As for the 3D, it is obvious now to me that the film was post converted, a technology I am not a fan of. It seems like with post converted films they can play with the depth of the image and some have a very weak 3D feel to them (TRON 2).

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 7:04:34 PM PDT
Gin says:
Poland is a country

Posted on May 23, 2012 5:00:31 PM PDT
it is coming in blu ray and blu ray 3d.

Posted on May 9, 2012 7:29:49 AM PDT
Oskar2525 says:
Should we start an official countdown thread?

Posted on May 5, 2012 10:39:00 AM PDT
Green Meanie says:
price has dropped to $29.99 on amazon.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  254
Initial post:  Mar 12, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions