Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

John Carter on blu-ray

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 254 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 5:35:18 PM PDT
I think you are putting too much importance on foreign sales. For one thing foreign monies are very heavily taxed if they are transferred to the US. If the studios are international, then it makes sense to keep that money where it is at rather than to bring it to the states to fund US projects.

International business is complicated and should not be considered on a dollar per dollar basis with US receipts. It makes good business sense NOT to bring that revenue to the United States.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 5:49:36 PM PDT
douglasG says:
I could easily turn that around saying you are not putting enough importance on foreign sales. Disney includes it in their figures so why shouldn't we? Considering majority of the sales for this film are coming from outside the USA it would be misleading to not include them.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 6:03:29 PM PDT
JMM says:
I agree with douglasG on this issue - typically with these big-budget event films, international markets account for two-thirds of the total box office. This appears to be the case with "John Carter". We should definitely not forget about the foreign sales.

But C. Barbus is also correct that the international box office is complicated, and so for reasons of analysis and comparison of films it is sometimes easier just to look at the domestic box office.

Either way, I think the case is closed at this point. The film underperformed in the US, and clearly Disney doesn't think that the international box office is going to make up for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 6:17:22 PM PDT
Dude, I don't put any stock in Box Office Receipts AT ALL. That has been pretty much my whole point here. Trying to show how silly all this box office arguing is. I don't really think this movie or that movie is better because of receipts. I am responding to the wacky people here who are putting so much importance on receipts by giving outlandish examples of box office receipts meaning nothing.

21 Jump Street nearly went into the black in its first week. Does that mean I am going to run to see it or buy it? NO! I saw the previews, it does not look like a movie I will enjoy.

One of my favorite movies of all time is Eddie and the Cruisers. It made less than $5M TOTAL receipts. So what? I still love the movie. There are people that like Wild Wild West and Water World. That is awesome, more power to them. I am not going to bash them for it. My comments on those movies have only been from a business perspective.

If you notice, I do not criticize people for liking or not liking a movie. I criticize their reasons if the reasons are silly. In this case, a certain person likes to use receipts to make his case. He does this very badly, and I want to show him why. I don't care if a movie is a hit or not. If it is a good movie, it is a good movie.

I cannot comment on how good John Carter is yet, I haven't seen it. I can say I do want to see it at some time. 21 Jump Street, not so much.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 6:32:27 PM PDT
douglasG says:
Some may not find it silly even if you do. I find your way of getting to the point a bit silly.

No matter how outlandish some of the examples including yours it did lead to clarification of how the movie is doing financially. (So far...LOL)

I think the general consensus here is that it is a good film just horribly marketed and bad timing for it's release date.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 9:14:49 AM PDT
Green Meanie says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 10:55:22 AM PDT
Oskar2525 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 11:20:14 AM PDT
Green Meanie says:
It won't have to, to bust the box office.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 12:57:15 PM PDT
Oskar2525 says:
That's why they call it a blockbuster.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 4:21:43 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 10:22:06 PM PDT
Gin says:
Went and supported John Carter today, great movie, good 3D, loved every second of it. Really would love for them to continue making them, but it looks pretty unlikely =(. That said, can't wait to preorder the 3D blu-ray.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 6:17:56 AM PDT
Oskar2525 says:
Are you saying Harry Potter wasn't a blockbuster?!? LOL
I think you need to look up the definition.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 10:50:13 AM PDT
Green Meanie says:

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 11:04:53 AM PDT
warrian says:

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 11:07:44 AM PDT
Green Meanie says:

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 1:31:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 26, 2012 8:56:55 AM PDT
I really want to see John Carter. I loved the 10 minute preview that is available online. The only thing I cannot believe is the studios claim that this movie cost $350 million dollars to produce.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 7:10:08 PM PDT
J Dabell says:
I somehow doubt Disney will consider making a sequel as they have already forecast a $200 million deficit in takings, whether that bears any impact on not attaining the number 1 spot at the box office is one thing but unless they make a total turnaround with dvd/blu ray sales then I'm guessing this will be the first and last time we see "John Carter" for a considerable amount of time, and no I haven't seen it to offer my opinion on the movie however when the studio that made the movie actually has the guts to come out and tell the truth about what should have been a phenomenal book - movie franchise then I guess we have no other option but to heed what they have to say.

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 7:13:23 PM PDT
J Dabell says:
Following on from my earlier post, I have to confess it may well be the fact that it is considered a "clone" of "Avatar" as far as the main storyline goes cept for the fact this time we aren't dealing with the Na'vi or blue people as we shall refer to them as from now on.

This may have played a huge part in the downfall of "John Carter", I guess we can only wait and see.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 7:26:27 PM PDT
Gin says:
Totally. Maybe that's why Smurfs didn't do well either, you know because people associated them with Navi. =\

/sarcasm

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 10:02:42 PM PDT
Gin says:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/comic-riffs/post/the-rant-john-carters-massive-fallout-whos-to-blame-for-disneys-200-million-bomb/2012/03/19/gIQAOKf6VS_blog.html

Also have been reading the Barsoom books and they're really really good =D. Not going to lie, the movie has nothing on the book... The first book is like a completely different story from the movie and yet the movie is based off the first 3 books =\.

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 9:43:34 AM PDT
Green Meanie says:
Hunger Games ~ grosses $68 M for opening day.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 9:45:42 AM PDT
Gin says:
:sadface: There again though... It actually had advertising done =\.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 9:49:38 AM PDT
Green Meanie says:
I only saw one movie trailer. Probably the Fan-Base Tweenies got excited and Coordinated a gathering with planning months ahead.

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 8:52:47 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 8:57:58 PM PDT
LIFE IS GOOD says:
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  254
Initial post:  Mar 12, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions