Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

Blu-ray retailer exclusives

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 68 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 28, 2012 9:12:28 AM PST
Too often now retailers get blu-ray exclusives that, frankly, we don't hear about. You would think that retailers would make a bigger stink about stuff you can only buy at their store. Let's start keeping track of them here. In the last few years titles like Transformers 2 Imax, Its a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, Harry Potter 7.1 & 2 3D, Stripes, Fright Night 1981 and others have been originally released as an exclusive somewhere.

Let's keep track of these exclusives so anyone interested can get them as soon as they would like and without searching everywhere.

The first title we can start with is one I just found

Best Buy exclusive for March 20 release-
The Ring (2002)

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 10:23:46 AM PST
J. Vinci says:
i was going to add some of the Dreamwork 3D blus as bestbuy exclusives, such as how to train your dragon, megamind, the shreks, but it looks like now you can buy them through amazon, though on some of them it'll cost a lot more than buying at best buy

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 7:45:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2012 1:39:21 PM PST
The Poseidon Adventure (1972)

WalMart, April 3

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 10:14:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2012 7:46:47 AM PST
Two more Walmart exclusives for John Wayne fans on May 8.

The Big Trail (1930)
The Barbarian and the Geisha (1958)

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 12:13:19 PM PST
Randy Lee says:
Great idea

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 12:26:08 PM PST
Good idea CB,

Here are a few more exclusive BD's...

* Airplane! (1980) Best Buy exclusive released on Sep 25, 2011

* Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987) Best Buy exclusive released on Sep 25, 2011

* City Slickers (1991) Best Buy exclusive released on May 29, 2011

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 1:16:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2012 1:18:16 PM PST
EdM says:
One source for the announcement:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Disc_Announcements/20th_Century_Fox/The_Big_Trail_and_The_Barbarian_and_the_Geisha_Wal-mart_Exclusive_Blu-rays/8902

I have this one: The Big Trail (Two-Disc Special Edition)
Despite being "only" DVD, it's very well done, with nice extras about that early wide screen movie type and the young John Wayne's career at that time. The early wide screen history in particular is interesting in that it deals with the economics of theater capability for wide screen and costs, and there's a parallel to our time with 3D movie house [and home] capability. ALSO, that most "views" of the movie were in a cropped 4:3 version that diluted the grandeur of the wild west scenics. It upscales nicely on my OPPO BDP-83SE, in 1080p/24. That technical presentation provides a nice, filmic look, IMO, which BD should nicely improve on with greater detail.

I'd recommend the special edition of "The Big Trail" for anyone who doesn't have this DVD special edition version, and I'll think about it myself. It's a very well done western. I wonder how long they'll be exclusive to WM, or conversely, when they'll become available on Amazon.

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 7:28:15 PM PST
Any info on exclusive blu-rays is very much appreciated.

Posted on Mar 4, 2012 6:34:34 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 7:50:52 AM PST
How about an Amazon exclusive?

Not one for me, since I already have 4 of the 7 titles but Amazon has posted this collection currently for $41.99 preorder. $6 per movie if you don't have any yet.

The Tim Burton Collection With Book (Amazon.com Exclusive) [Blu-ray]

This includes Beetlejuice / Batman / Mars Attacks! / Batman Returns / Pee-wee's Big Adventure / Charlie and the Chocolate Factory / Corpse Bride.

Where is Planet of the Apes?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 8:32:30 AM PST
J. Vinci says:
this is Butons WB movies, planet of the Apes was fox i believe

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 4:01:58 PM PST
Great idea. I wonder if Amazon will delete this thread.
Great to hear about Poseidon Adventure.

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 9:05:19 AM PST
Cavaradossi says:
Max Manus

I think this is an excellent idea for a thread. I don't know your sources for this information that causes you to think it unnecessary, but most of what I've read on here has been news to me. Therefore, I find this a very useful topic. Clearly, from all the negatives your post is getting, I'm not alone in this.

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 2:15:29 PM PST
J. Vinci says:
just saw an article on this one

'The French Connection (Remastered)' Blu-ray Best Buy Exclusive

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 2:25:53 PM PST
That is exactly why I started this thread. I was even at Best Buy last night, and there was NO indication that there were new exclusive movies there. How do they expect people to find them if they do not promote them? This one was just released this week with ZERO fanfare.

Amazing.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2012 8:02:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 9, 2012 8:05:16 AM PST
CB,

Another strange point about Best Buy is that they also have certain titles that are "online purchase only" meaning that you cannot find them on the shelves at any BB locations.

They do not make it easy to determine which titles fall into this bucket and I showed up at BB a few weeks ago looking for a BD that the salesman had to lookup on their internal computer system before he could determine it was "online purchase only".

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2012 11:01:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2012 11:32:36 AM PDT
I just figured out that there were FOUR filmmakers signature series bds released to only Best Buy last week (Including FC)

The French Connection (remaster)
Wall Street (remaster)
She's the One
The Brothers McMullen

So, anyone interested in remasters of FC or WS, or the two new to Blu Edward Burns flicks, head on over to Best Buy.

Also, I did look for the FC remaster on BB website over the weekend and did not see it, so these may only be available in store.

Posted on Mar 15, 2012 2:59:58 PM PDT
J. Vinci says:
i just saw this on hi dif digest:

'The Devil Inside' Blu-ray Best Buy Exclusive

looks like may 15 release

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 8:32:54 AM PDT
thefunny1 says:
Best Buy has The Ring blu ray with the lenticular slipcover. It was $15.

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 1:36:15 PM PDT
There are two classic titles on the board for April 3 release from Screen Archives Entertainment, the same folks who brought use The Egyptian and Fright Night (1983) on BD.

Grapes of Wrath (1940)
Zorba The Greek (1964)

Both up for preorder, first 1000 get free magnet, and if SAE does their usual run, they will be limited to 3000 overall copies apiece.

www.screenarchives.com

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2012 3:45:10 AM PDT
John Cheney says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 5:25:52 AM PDT
Ryan says:

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 1:43:27 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 8, 2012 12:31:52 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 5:12:34 AM PDT
J. Vinci says:
just saw this exclusive

20th Century Fox Entertainment will release on Blu-ray three action films starring Chuck Norris: Joseph Zito's Missing in Action (1984), Lance Hool's Missing In Action 2: The Beginning (1985), and Menahem Golan's The Delta Force (1986). The three films, which will street on June 5th, will be available for purchase exclusively at Wal-Mart.

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 12:11:21 PM PDT
Jersey Girl says:
I think this thread is a great idea!!! Recently High Def Digest had an article complaining about exclusive bds because they aren't available to everyone and after a certain amount of time their prices skyrocket obscenely. One such title is Fright Night 1981. They also mentioned that As Good As It Gets is going to be released as an exclusive for Best Buy I believe.
Some Walmart exclusives that I have seen:
A Fish Called Wanda
When Harry Met Sally
The Poseidon Adventure
Resident Evil Steelbook (all four movies)

I do find it a little bit unfair that some movie titles are becoming available as exclusives to one store. Just a heads up...As Good As It Gets is supposed to also be in limited release, meaning its price will go the way of Fright Night.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  68
Initial post:  Feb 28, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions