Customer Discussions > Blues forum

Pick Fifty Blues Songs to Start Your Jukebox

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 20, 2012 2:13:33 AM PDT
Don says:
It seems like it's time for a new thread to keep things moving, and I hope this one grabs the attention of the Blues-minded. I've got until June to figure out three hours of my favorite blues recordings for our marathon, so while I'm doing that I thought you might like to join in by picking your fifty personal favorites. There are so many choices I think it will be harder to choose what to leave out than to find enough to put in. I know I'll change my list by the time it's done, so I'll do ten at a time and after that add some and drop some to keep it at fifty. Sounds a little complicated, but if you just take it in small steps it should be fun. I'm going to stick to my own collection, but you guys can do whatever you feel like, so here are a few to start my list:
1) Elmore James, The Sky is Crying. I know my list will be overstocked with up-tempo numbers, so I will need this, likely my all time favorite slow blues tune.
2) Freddie King, Remington Ride. Not overplayed like some of his better known instrumentals. I may be tempted to break my self-imposed rule of one listing per artist by adding one of his vocals.
3) Freddie King, Going Down. I knew I couldn't help myself! From a much later time in Freddie's career.
4) Charlie Musselwhite, Help Me. From Charlie's first album and still my favorite.
5) Sonny Boy Williamson (II), Bye Bye Bird.
6) Jeff Beck Group with Rod Stewart, I Ain't Superstitious. Yes, the Brits did some fine Blues and this is my favorite example.
7) Chuck Berry, Rockin' the Philharmonic. Chuck Berry's not Blues, you say? When you get some of Chess Records' best players like Willie Dixon and Lafayette Leake setting down a twelve-bar instrumental behind his guitar, what do you think you'll get?
8) Johnny Winter, Highway 61 Revisited. And therefore, why not a Bluesman playing a Rock tune?
9) Jimmy Reed, Baby What You Want Me to Do. For some artists, I go with more obscure tunes, but for Jimmy it has to be this.
10) Paul Butterfield Blues Band, One More Heartache. So much Butterfield to choose from, but this one always gets me.

Obviously, my favorites go back mostly to the songs I've been listening to since the late 60s / early 70s. And I haven't even gotten into the real meat of the Chicago Blues.

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 7:50:31 PM PDT
drsplash says:
Well, my daughter(35) & I discussed this once, the best music came out of the '60s & '70s. Here goes:
1) "Knocking Myself Out"-Mike Bloomfield
2) "If I Lost You"-B.B. King
3) "I Can Tell"- Bo Didley
4) "Still A Fool"-Hubert Sumlin
5) "I'm In The Mood"-Jack Bruce/Gary Moore
6) "All About My Girl"-Jimmy Thackery
7) "White Sugar"-Joanna Taylor
8) "Hideaway"-Johnny Winter
9) "Oh, Well"-Fleetwood Mac
10) "Still Got The Blues"-Gary Moore
11) "Something Inside of Me"-Rick Derringer
12) "Overall Junction"-Albert King/Stevie Ray Vaugh
13) "Can"t Quit the Blues"-Lara Price Band/Laura Chavez
14) "Navajo Moon"-Ana Popvic
15) "Dreamland Blues"-Erjia Lyyntinen
16) "Lynn's Blues"-Barbara Lynn
17) "Greeny"-John Mayall & Blues Breakers
18) "Fool Me Good"-Precious Bryant
19) "Stay With Me While the Night is Young"-Savoy Brown(Chris Youdlin)
20) "Fleetwood Mac"-Fleetwood Mac

I could go on forever....

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 2:01:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 23, 2012 2:02:31 AM PDT
Don says:
I've said before that "No" voting someone's opinion here on the Blues Forum strikes me as extremely rude. That said, here's another ten in no particular order. And please, dr, do go on, maybe not forever, but at least to fifty....

11) Hound Dog Taylor, She's Gone. Ever since the needle first dropped onto Hound Dog's first album, this opening song confirmed I was in for something special.
12) Magic Sam, I Just Want a Little Bit. Probably should be number one if I was assigning numbers by preference.
13) Luther Allison, 4:00 in the Morning. The youthful texture of Luther's voice, particularly on this track from his first album, is what kept me wondering what ever happened to him until he came back from Europe with his Alligator recordings.
14) Taj Mahal, The Celebrated Walking Blues. Absolutely anything from the eponymous first album is great, but I think I need another slow one and this fits the bill.
15) John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, You Don't Love Me. It could have been anyone on guitar (it was Peter Green playing the riff) because it was Mayall and his harmonica that made this, the first version I heard of Willie Cobbs' classic tune.
16) Memphis Slim and Buddy Guy, When Buddy Comes to Town. Found this on a multi-artist album so I don't know much about it except that it rocks.
17) Junior Wells, Messin' with the Kid. Personally, I like this version from Vanguard's Chicago / The Blues Today series. The bass line is different from his original version.
18) J.B. Hutto and his Hawks, That's the Truth. Another tune from that Vanguard series' first album.
19) Savoy Brown Blues Band, Hate to See You Go. Great copy of the Little Walter tune.
20) Canned Heat, One Kind Favor. Better known for their boogies, these connoisseurs of old-time blues could put a new spin on them.

These should all make my final cut, but pretty soon I'll have to cheat and look at some old playlists before I start naming a bunch that I will wind up removing later.

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 1:53:41 PM PDT
elmore James.............happy home
muddy waters.............same thing
howlin wolf.................ride with me baby
little walter.................flying saucer
otis rush....................all your love
jimmy rogers.............chicago bound
willie dixon................spoonful
count basie/rushing.......take me back baby
erskine hawkins..........gin mill special
big joe turner.............low down dog
pete johnson..............rocket 88 boogie
earl hines orchestra.....jelly blues
lowell fulsom..............hung down head
billie holliday..............fine and mellow
dinah washington........salty papa blues
louis jordan................all for the love of lil
alberta hunter............handy man
jimmy johnson............12 bar blues
memphis slim.............the comeback
count basie/williams....everyday I have the blues
freddy king................have you ever loved a woman
albert king..................born under a bad sign
magic sam..................sweet home chicago
john mayall/clapton......telephone blues
john lee hooker...........drifting from door to door
Hooker/Canned Heat....whiskey & women
roy brown...................cadillac blues
wynonie harris.............bloodshot eyes
jimmy witherspoon.......confessing the blues
jay mcshann...............come on over to my house
otis spann...................my love depends on you
fleetwood mac.............love that burns
cream........................sleepy time time
savoy brown...............I tried
canned heat................help me
sonny boy williamson....don't start me to talking
lionel hampton.............hey baba rebop
lightning hopkins..........tom moore's blues
etta james...................dance with me henry
bb king.......................my heart beat like a hammer
groundhogs.................groundhog blues
amos milburn..............chicken shack boogie
big mama thornton......ball and chain
roosevelt sykes...........44 blues
t-bone walker.............strollin' with bones
lightning slim..............scratch my back

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 10:56:36 AM PDT
stevign says:
What if I don't pick 50? I'm not even gonna try if I can't think of 50 and then get my ass kicked.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 3:02:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 24, 2012 7:57:17 PM PDT
Don says:
Stevign, why am I not taking you seriously here? Maybe because you've linked us to hundreds of songs already. Besides, I've only got about 35 in mind so far and am intentionally taking it a step at a time.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 8:08:31 PM PDT
stevign says:
re: "why am I not taking you seriously here?"

Because you know my humor?

re: "Maybe because you've linked us to hundreds of songs already."

((blushing))....Thanks, I do what I can. If I think of some more I'll chime in.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2012 8:08:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 25, 2012 8:11:58 AM PDT
kurnac says:
Here's 25 of the best to get you started.
In the Heat of the Night - Ray charles
Love in Vain - Robert Johnson
Dust My Broom - Elmore James
Statesboro Blues - Blind Willie McTell
Born Under A Bad Sign - Albert King
The Sun Is Shining - Angela Strehli
Southern Flood Blues - Bill Broonzy
Love Struck - Roomful of Blues
You Shook Me - Willie Dixon
School Time - Billy Boy Arnold
Shake Em On Down - Bukka White
Hoochie Coochie Man - Muddy Waters
Smokestack Lightning - Howlin Wolf
On the Road Again - Canned Heat
Killing Floor - Skip James
Driftin Blues - Charles Brown
Mean Old World - T-Bone Walker
Careless Love - Dr. John
Good Morning Blues - Jimmy Rushing
Politician - Cream
I Can't Quit You Baby - Led Zeppelin
West End Blues - Louis Armstrong
Texas Flood - Stevie Ray Vaughn
How Long Has That Evening Train Been Gone - Leroy Carr
Canned Heat Blues - Tommy Johnson

And very honorable mention
Furry's Blues - Furry Lewis

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 6:04:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 25, 2012 7:13:39 PM PDT
Don says:
Hey guys, thanks for the additions. It's interesting to see a lot of the names I have in mind but different favorite songs. I do see Albert King's Born Under a Bad Sign a couple of times, and he's on the next ten I'll be posting probably next week, along with Slim Harpo's Scratch My Back.

dr, just curious where you're from because I didn't know Lara Price was that well known outside the bay area. A very nice lady who has played the live portion of our marathon a couple of times in past years with Laura Chavez. She's also popular in local clubs that cater to more hard rock-type bands and audiences. Similar to that choice, you include some people like Ana Popovic and Joanna Shaw Taylor that I am just beginning to make myself familiar with, likely from mentions on this forum.

Rick, yours is a name I've taken note of for a while now because of some album reviews I've read. Went back and looked again, but I couldn't get through all of them. Think you might cause me to spend too much money, but I did just order that Illinois Jacquet 4CD set for about $8.50 delivered. Thank you for that; any more bargains like that I'd be happy to hear, especially if they have good documentation and info on the artists. Your list shows a lot of similar tastes as my own, but I think you know a lot more about the jazzier side than I could pretend to. Yet. ... EDIT: Just went through some more reviews and see I took your advice on Earl Hines. Thanks for that as well.

Kurnac, nice list. You actually picked at least three songs that are likely to make my list, but by different artists. I love that Billy Boy Arnold More Blues from the South Side album. For Broonzy, I'd love to take Key to the Highway since that's the name of my show, but I don't have it in my collection. Can't use my favorite version, either, because I've already used Freddie King (twice). I'll have to check out West End Blues again. That era of Armstrong kinda all gets muddled together, but maybe if I listen to it separately I can appreciate it better.

Thanks again.

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 6:43:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 25, 2012 6:47:19 PM PDT
drsplash says:
Don
I'm an Okie, where 2 bluesmen hail from, Elvin Bishop & J.J. Cale. in fact there are a number of Okies that have made contributions to other genres as well.
you wanted more:

1)450 Pound Woman-Floyd Dixon 13)Talk to Me Baby-Elmore James
2)Short Fuse Blues-Dave Hole 14)Laundry Man-Fenton Robinson
3)Born With The Blues-Lonnie Brooks 15)Roadside Attraction-Marcia Ball
4)Follow Your Heart-Paladins 16) Watch Out-Harvey Mandel
It"s 2 A.M.-Shemekia Copeland 17) Nothin' But The Blues-Joanna Connor
California Blues-Dicky Bettes 18)Wasn't That Enough-Janiva Magness
Big Toe-Albert Castigila Chickenheads-Magic Slim
I Ain't Drunk-Al Collins Carmelita Skiffle-Mike Bloomfield
5)Bad Case of Love-B.B. King Ida B-Pinetop Perkins
6)Pressure-Bill Perry 19) It Ain't Easy-Radio Kings
7)Help Wanted-Chicago Rthyum Section 20)Baby When The Sun Goes Down-Southside Johnny
8)Movin' Back to Memphis-Chris Cain 21)Going Down This Road-Algia Mae Hinton
9)Racketeer Blues-Chris Jagger 22)Drifting-Top Topham, Jim McCarty
10)The Score-Cliffhanger Project 23)These Blues-J.J. Cale
11)Fear No Evil-Coco Montoya 24)Yer Blues-Jeff Healy
12)Lay Back Down-Eric Lindell 25)Once I had a Woman-Jimi Hendrix

Again, this is a small sampling of my blues collection.

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 9:05:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2012 9:05:41 PM PDT
Don says:
Here's a fresh batch:

21) Howlin' Wolf, House Rockin' Boogie. Wolf just talking in front of his original recording band from his West Memphis days. A little more raw and exciting to me than his later Chicago sessions.
22) Johnny Copeland, Down on Bended Knee. A bit of soul from the Texas bluesman known as Clyde, father of Shemekia Copeland.
23) Wynonie Harris, Good Rockin' Tonight. Written by Roy Brown, Harris declined doing it until Brown recorded it himself and it started to chart well. Apparently, the guy had a nasty ego problem.
24) The Animals, Talkin' 'Bout You. This most influential (on me) Brit Blues Band showed some healthy respect for Ray Charles, especially here. I was tempted to list the Yardbirds' or Rolling Stones' version of Chuck Berry's Talkin' 'Bout You (totally different song) as well, but I knew it wouldn't make the final cut.
25) Amos Milburn, Down the Road Apiece. Great Texas boogie woogie piano man. If I didn't pick this, I believe the original version, then the Stones might have gotten included with their remake. Manfred Mann also did a great version on their first album.
26) Otis Spann (featuring Eric Clapton), Pretty Girls Everywhere. One of the early collaborations of a true American Blues artist with the newly fashionable Brit Blues players, and my favorite version of a great song. I like it almost no matter who does it.
27) Buddy Guy, Every Girl I See. This one came to mind after the above for some reason. A fine tune and a fine theme.
28) Deanna Bogart, Beat Me Daddy, Eight to the Bar. This east coast boogie lady was my first non-local interview, so she will always own a little piece of my heart. It's fun to watch her play saxophone and piano together.
29) Billy Boy Arnold, You Don't Love Me No More. Love this whole album, but this one grabs me, likely because of the bass riff.
30) Albert King, Born Under a Bad Sign. Another great bass riff and Albert at his best while he was recording Blues for the great Soul label Stax.

I think I had these all when I first posted the thread. I guess I'll have to start physically going through my collection, although I do have about a half dozen more in mind already.

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 3:06:01 PM PDT
raja99 says:
Here's 25 (in no particular order):

01) Things We Do - Indigenous
02) I'd Rather Go Blind - Etta James
03) I'm Ready - Freddie King
04) Walking' the Ceiling - Hound Dog Taylor & the Houserockers
05) Still Rainin' - Hoopsnakes
06) I Don't Want No Woman - Magic Sam
07) The Sky Is Crying - Elmore James
08) Showdown - Buddaheads
09) Leaving Trunk - Taj Mahal
10) Pride and Joy - Stevie Ray Vaughan
11) You Shook Me - Muddy Waters
12) Right Place, Wrong Time - Otis Rush
13) Living in the House of the Blues - Luther Allison
14) Ball 'N Chain - Big Mama Thornton
15) Blues Before Sunrise - Eric Clapton
16) All I Can Do - Tinsley Ellis
17) Ain't That Lovin' You - Jimmy Reed
18) Feels Like Rain - Buddy Guy
19) Come on in My Kitchen - Keb' Mo'
20) Troubled Mind - Dion
21) Sufferin' Mind - Guitar Slim
22) 3 O'Clock Blues - Love Sculpture
23) Leave My Blues at Home - Allman Brothers Band
24) Hate to See You Go - Little Walter
25) Work Song - Paul Butterfield Blues Band

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 3:17:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 1, 2012 3:19:48 PM PDT
raja99 says:
Here's 25 More (again in no order):

26) 700 Houses - Susan Tedeschi
27) Loan Me a Dime - Boz Scaggs
28) I Can't Keep From Crying, Sometimes - Ten Years After
29) You Don't Want Me - Earl Hooker
30) Checkin' Up On My Baby - Sonny Boy Williamson
31) Albert's Shuffle - Mike Bloomfield & Al Kooper
32) Hoodoo Man Blues - Junior Wells & Buddy Guy
33) Have You Ever Loved a Woman - Derek & the Dominoes
34) Killing Floor - Electric Flag
35) Born in Georgia - Luther Johnson
36) Sleep - Albert Cummings
37) Take a Little Walk With Me - Otis Spann
38) I Got the Blues - T-Bone Walker
39) Crosscut Saw - Albert King
40) Farther on up the Road - Lonnie Mack
41) All Your Love - Ronnie Earl
42) Rock This House - Jimmy Rogers
43) Divin' Duck Blues - Johnny Winter
44) Still Got the Blues - Gary Moore
45) Missed That Train - Too Slim & the Taildraggers
46) Do What You Wanna Do - Coco Montoya
47) I'm Crying - Savoy Brown
48) Low Down Feeling - Mannish Boys
49) Blues Man on Saturday Night - Jimmy Thackery & the Drivers
50) Black Widow Spider - Joe Louis Walker

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 4:25:48 PM PDT
raja99 says:
A Few More:

One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer - John Lee Hooker
Spoonful - Willie Dixon
In the Middle of the Night - Jimmie Vaughan
What Have I Done - J. B. Lenior
Cotton Picking Blues - Son Seals Blues Band
I Got Some Help I Don't Need - B. B. King
The Last Time - Anson Funderburgh & the Rockets
Too Tired - Albert Collins
That's All Right - Mississippi Fred McDowell
Walking the Dog - Rufus Thomas
Po Black Maddie - North Mississippi All-Stars
Dimples - The Animals
Smoking Gun - Robert Cray
Got My Mojo Working - Graham Bond Organisation
Blues, Blues - Bo Diddley
Just Got Back From Baby's - ZZ Top
Little Charmer - Frank Gambale
Driftin' Blues - Bobby "Blue" Bland
Jericho Road - Walter Trout & the Radicals
Serves You Right to Suffer - J. Geils Band
Ain't That Lovin' You - Derek Trucks Blues Band
Wee Baby Blues - Climax Chicago Blues Band
Sunday Mornings - BusBuys
The Dream - Albert Collins, Johnny Copeland & Robert Cray
Might Tight Woman - Bonnie Raitt
Smokestack Lightnin' - Howlin' Wolf
I Got to Change - Tommy Castro
Lie to Me - Jonny Lang
Kozmic Blues - Janis Joplin
It's Time - Jimmy D. Lane & Double Trouble
I Know a Place - John Hiatt
Little Girl - John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers
The Feeling Is Gone - J. B. Hutto & His Hawks
Blue Jean Blues - Jeff Healey Band
Got to Move - Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 7:38:45 AM PDT
Don says:
31) Otis Rush, All Your Love. Clapton did a fine remake with Mayall. I was going to go with Keep a-Lovin' Me Baby, but it is really Magic Sam's version that runs through my head.
32) Manfred Mann, Hoochie Coochie Man. From their first highly overlooked album, filled with lots of blues classics like this. Just might have been the first version I heard (back in 1967), so to me this is how the song is supposed to sound.
33) Cream, Crossroads. Again, when I hear the song played in some other way, it just doesn't sound right.
34) Slim Harpo, Scratch My Back. The quintessential laid back Swamp Blues song.
35) Ruth Brown, This Little Girl's Gone Rockin'. I'm seriously lacking women in my list, and I love Ruth for her breathless vocal style similar to Eddie Vinson's.
36) Earl Hooker, Boogie Don't Blot. John Lee's cousin could even make the wah wah pedal find a place in the Blues. From one of his last recording sessions, produced by Ike Turner for Britain's Blue Thumb.
37) John Lee Hooker, Boogie Chillen'. Earl's cousin. It's not very often I can get into one guy singing, playing his guitar and stomping on a piece of wood, but I guess that's why I have more music by John Lee than anyone else in my collection. Did he and Earl ever record together?
38) Fleetwood Mac, Shake Your Money Maker. No one could do Elmore better, so I've got to go with this version from their eponymous first album. Earlier, Butterfield also did a great version on their first album.
39) Siegel-Schwall Blues Band, Bring it with You When You Come. Great 60s white Chicago Boogie, the only one I recall to include a mandolin.
40) Lou Rawls, Southside Blues / Tobacco Road. An introductory tribute to his hometown Chicago leads into a soulful classic made out of a Brit Rock tune.

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 6:17:02 PM PDT
Don, tell us a little more about the show you're doing? Is it radio?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 9:21:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 30, 2012 9:22:50 PM PDT
Don says:
Yes Rick, it is a radio show that I've been doing three hours essentially every other week since 1990 on a community station in "Silicon Valley". I don't get paid but get pleasure playing what I like for people with similar tastes. In January this year, I began recapping my shows in the thread I had started "Whatcha readin'?" and maybe by the end of the year it will give an idea of what my show is like because they are all unique. I can say that modestly because most shows turn out differently than even what I had in mind going into the studio. The station is also unique because, as I am told by people who should know, it is supposed to be the last station in the country that survives solely from listener donations.

In case anyone is curious further than that, I am providing a link to a short-lived companion website that I am considering reviving. The reason I lost interest and stopped it was because we were no longer able to archive our shows to CDs or thumb drives, but just this month I heard we have regained that capability. It only covers a couple of months and I was apparently on a Brit Blues kick, but I think there's some information to be gleaned from it. What I would really like to be able to do is to post one hour segments of shows online, but I don't know the legality of it regarding BMI and ASCAP royalties and the repercussions on KKUP (it was their bills that made it unaffordable to continue streaming) ... that and the fact that I'm ignorant of how to do so technically, but a couple of people at the station do post their talk shows online. Anyway, probably lots more than you wanted to know, but as Sonny Boy said, don't start me talkin' ......

http://key2highway.blogspot.com/

Posted on May 5, 2012 8:46:41 AM PDT
Interesting. You can use any of the songs I listed for an extremely reasonable fee!

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 11:12:18 AM PDT
Don says:
Thanks, Rick. Send me the CDs and I'll split my paycheck with ya. Here's five more to close in on that 50 number:

41) J.B. Lenoir, Mama Talk to Your Daughter. While it has been done well by quite a few others, the original is still the best.
42) Love Sculpture, Hip Shake. From one of my favorite albums, which was followed by a second album with almost no redeeming qualities. When I heard Wang Dang Doodle (the first song I heard from the album), I thought it had to be Savoy Brown. (SB soon after did their own version.)
43) Blind Willie Johnson, I Can't Keep From Crying Sometimes. Willie later thanked Al Kooper and Ten Years After for all the royalty earnings he received. I remember playing a few tracks from the CD and receiving a telephone request to cut it short because his gravelly voice was extremely irritating to that listener; either you love him or you hate him.
44) Chicago Blues All Stars, Coming Home, Baby. Since only this instrumental featured Musselwhite on harmonica, the album was credited to Charlie's backup band at that time, which included Louis Myers on guitar (and harp for the rest of the album), Dave Myers on bass, Freddie Below on drums (an example of why these three became a Chicago institution as The Aces), steel guitarist Freddie Roulette and (I believe) Skip Rose on piano. Kinda like Butterfield's remake of Adderly's Work Song, this was originally a jazz tune by Herbie Mann.
45) Little Walter Jacobs, Key to the Highway. For the first couple of years, I would end the first set of every show with different artists doing their version of the oft-recorded classic, but I finally ran out and didn't wish to be repetitive. The song is usually credited to guitarist Big Bill Broonzy and if I had access to his version I would likely use it, but harp man Jazz Gillum also claimed to have written it. They did play together for a while, so who knows.

Posted on May 9, 2012 10:53:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2012 11:03:57 PM PDT
The Wizard says:
This is actually one of my playlists from my radio show. Helpin' to keep the blues alive! kzmu-fm Moab, Utah. (kzmu.org)
1. Blues Power - Albert King
2. Have You Ever Loved A Woman - Eric Clapton
3. Sweet Little Angel - BB King (Live At The Regal)
4. 5 String Blues - Roy Buchanan
5. Checkin On My Baby - Jr. Wells / Buddy Guy (Vanguard)
6. Mannish Boy - Muddy Waters (Blue Sky)
7. Death Letter - Son House
8. It Serves You Right To Suffer - John Lee Hooker (Impulse)
9. Cherry Ball Blues - Skip James
10. Aberdeen Mississippi Blues - Bukka White (Biograph)
11. Candyman - Mississippi John Hurt
12. I Asked For Water - Howlin' Wolf
13. Coon On The Moon - Howlin Wolf
14. A Good Fool Is Hard To Find - Albert Collins
15. Born Blind - Sonny Boy Williamson
16. Dust My Broom - Elmore James
17. Walkin Blues - Paul Butterfield
18. Blues Deluxe - Joe Bonamassa
19. Gamblers Blues - Otis Rush
20. Shake It Baby - John Lee Hooker (Impulse)
21. Mellow Down Easy - Little Walter
22. Gimme Back My Wig - Hound Dog Taylor
23. Stormy Monday - T-Bone Walker
24. Hound Dog - Big Mama Thornton
25. You Got To Move - Mississippi Fred McDowell
26. Born Under A Bad Sign - Albert King
27. Born Under A Bad Sign - Ellen McIlwaine
28. Personal Manager - Albert King
29. Sky Is Crying - Elmore James
30. Sweet Dreams - Roy Buchanan
31. Why I Sing The Blues - BB / Johnny Lang / Keb Mo / Vince Gill (Lee Ritenours '6 string theory' on Concord)
32. Boom Boom - John Lee Hooker (VeeJay)
33. I Aint Got You - Jimmy Reed
34. Bottle Up & Go - John Lee Hooker (Impulse)
35. School Boy - Big Mama Thornton & Mississippi Fred McDowell
36. Fish Fry Boogie - Jay McShann
37. Driftin Blues - Charles Brown
38. The Soul Of A Man - Blind Willie Johnson
39. Malted Milk - Robert Johnson
40. Fannie Mae - Buster Brown
41. Thats Alright Ma - Arthur Big Boy Crudup
42. Wayfaring Pilgrim - Roy Buchanan
43. Pouring Down Rain - Lonnie Johnson
44. Tupelo - John Lee Hooker
45. Laundromat Blues - Albert King
46. Blackwater Blues - Big Bill Broonzy
47. Champagne & Reefer - Muddy Waters
48. Pete's Blues - Roy Buchanan
49. Shake Your Moneymaker - Hound Dog Taylor
50. I Just Wanna Make Love To You - Cold Blood

Posted on May 13, 2012 8:00:15 PM PDT
Boy, I'ld be a happy man if I had a jukebox that contained all the great blues songs on these lists!

Posted on May 13, 2012 8:43:10 PM PDT
I admit to being primarily into acoustic blues.

Dick Justice (1920s) - Brownskin Blues
Tampa Red - It Hurts Me Too
Big Bill Broonzy - Long Tall Mama
Corey Harris - High Fever Blues
Hambone Willy Newburn - Rollin' and Tumblin'
Robert Johnson - Dust My Broom
Memphis Jug Band - Sittin' on Top of the World
Lightnin' Hopkins - Mojo Hand
Blind Lemon Jefferson - See That My Grave is Kept Clean
Dock Boggs - Country Blues
Hobart Smith - Graveyard Blues
Tommy Johnson - Big Road Blues
Bessie Smith - Frosty Morning Blues
Big Joe Williams - Baby, Please Don't Go
Henry Thomas - Bulldoozed
Lane Hardin - California Desert Blues
Willie Brown - Mississippi Blues
Joe McCoy - When the Levee Breaks
Robert Wilkins - Rollin' Stone
Skip James - Cypress Grove
Charley Patton - Shake It and Break It
Mississippi John Hurt - My Creole Belle
Ishman Bracey - Fore Day Blues
Junior Wells - Mystery Train
R L Burnside - Bad Luck and Trouble
Larry Johnson - Midnight Hour Blues
Blind Boy Fuller - Truckin' My Blues Away
Blind Blake - That'll Happen No More

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 5:08:02 PM PDT
Don says:
So true, Rick. Put everybody's differing tastes together and you get pretty much the whole Blues scene covered.

And Mark, if that opening line was meant to be an apology, no need! Just another glimpse of the whole picture. Thanks.

You show the problem I know I'll have, Raja. After posting my "final" fifty, I'll still have plenty more that shouldn't be left out.

And thank you, Wizard. Sounds like a show I would enjoy hearing.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 12:11:50 PM PDT
I don't know how to break this to you, Don... but you've had a baby.

http://tiny.cc/315cew

Posted on May 15, 2012 12:45:42 PM PDT
D. Mok says:
"Whipping Post", The Allman Brothers Band
"Lonesome Highway", Rory Gallagher
"Damn Right, I've Got the Blues", Buddy Guy
"Oh My Lover", PJ Harvey
"To Bring You My Love", PJ Harvey
"Boogie Chillun", John Lee Hooker
"Crawlin' Kingsnake", John Lee Hooker
"I'm in the Mood", John Lee Hooker
"Death Letter", Son House
"Preachin' Blues", Son House
"Dust My Broom", Elmore James
"Shake Your Moneymaker", Elmore James
"The Sky Is Crying", Elmore James
"Rabbit Foot Blues", Blind Lemon Jefferson
"See That My Grave Is Kept Clean", Blind Lemon Jefferson
"Cross Road Blues", Robert Johnson
"Hellhound on My Trail", Robert Johnson
"Sweet Home Chicago", Robert Johnson
"Born under a Bad Sign", Albert King
"Crosscut Saw", Albert King
"Hummingbird", B.B. King
"Sweet Sixteen", B.B. King
"The Thrill Is Gone", B.B. King
"Hideaway", Freddie King
"Gallis Pole", Leadbelly
"New Orleans Stop Time", Memphis Minnie
"When the Levee Breaks", Memphis Minnie & Kansas Joe
"Still Got the Blues", Gary Moore
"Hound Dog", Big Mama Thornton
"Couldn't Stand the Weather", Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble
"Texas Flood", Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble
"I Can't Be Satisfied", Muddy Waters
"(I'm Your) Hoochie Coochie Man", Muddy Waters
"Mannish Boy", Muddy Waters
"You Shook Me", Muddy Waters
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blues forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  Mar 20, 2012
Latest post:  May 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions