Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Book forum

forgiving yourself

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 7, 2012 2:36:54 PM PST
Jeanne says:
looking for a book to help guide me on the road of forgiving myself after a divorce

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 2:41:24 PM PST
Jeanne says:
tried a few motivational type books but really want to focus on .....how to learn to forgive myself and move on.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 11:37:15 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 12, 2012 8:56:37 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2012 6:20:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 9, 2012 6:25:29 PM PST
gilly8 says:
To Alison Blake:

Don't, please, push your own books, company, whatever on these forums, is against the Amazon rules for forums, for obvious reasons.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2012 6:24:29 PM PST
gilly8 says:
Frankly, I'd try a therapist if you have not and are still suffering. There is just so much a book or tape can do for you....and sounds like you ARE still in pain w/this.

WAS it ALL your fault? Women are so trained to take responsibility for everything.....but, I'm not trying to advise you...just, try to find a good marriage counselor (even though you're divorced) or other therapist....ask around....many will take people based on their income. Your doctor may know of some that are reputable.

Also, speaking of your dr,have you asked him/her about your sadness and guilt over this? Sounds like depression could be a factor.....a good trial of antidepressants (not Valium or Xanax to dull your emotions!) could help greatly, while you work on moving on w/ your life. Good luck, an RN and wife/ mother

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2012 6:01:42 PM PST
Jeanne says:
thank you so much for you insight. I do see someone regularly regarding my issues. Just looking for something to open up and read at night after I get the kids to bed to stop my mind from spinning. The wine is getting old HA!
I need to let go. Just hard.
It was my choice and difficult to live with.

I am also a RN oncology. Life is too short.
Again thank you

Posted on Mar 11, 2012 4:58:40 PM PDT
Argh! I wrote a lengthy post, and when I tried to insert a link, it vanished.

I suffer from a spinning head, myself, and I highly recommend Start Where You Are by Pema Chodron:

With insight and humor, Pema Chödrön, author of The Wisdom of No Escape and When Things Fall Apart, presents down-to-earth guidance on how to make friends with ourselves and develop genuine compassion toward others. The author shows how we can "start where we are" by embracing rather than denying the painful aspects of our lives. Pema Chödrön frames her teachings on compassion around fifty-nine traditional Tibetan Buddhist maxims, or slogans, such as:

* "Always apply a joyful state of mind"
* "Don't seek others' pain as the limbs of your own happiness"
* "Always meditate on whatever provokes resentment"

Working with these slogans and through the practice of meditation, Start Where You Are shows how we can all develop the courage to work with our own inner pain and discover joy, well-being, and confidence.

----
I am not a Buddhist, and the book isn't preachy. It's just positive and kind hearted. You don't need to meditate or practice any kind of anything to get something from her work. You could easily sit down with a glass of wine and open the book up to any place and just read. I have found her words comforting and helpful. She's very much about being in the moment, which is a hard thing to do, but a wonderful thing to try. Her writing isn't the kind of self-help that makes you feel guilty if you aren't following all of the "rules" toward getting better. It's gentle guidance.

Good Luck! & Best Wishes!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2012 8:20:09 PM PDT
Jeanne says:
In my cart and ready to be shipped in a day or two.
Thanks! I read a bit and looks just like what I was looking for.
Now just gotta get another bottle of wine. HA!!
Best wishes to you.....
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Book forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Happy Birthday, Allen S. 30 25 minutes ago
Post The First Line/Paragraph Of Your Current Read 313 26 minutes ago
What are you reading now? 7740 2 hours ago
SON OF ALL 3 12 hours ago
Your favorite Slang words. 993 18 hours ago
Author Interview: Robert Stava 0 23 hours ago
In the Not-Too-Distant-Future . . . 9 1 day ago
Books for Friends 1489 1 day ago
Best used book find 1211 1 day ago
Weird Weird Weird 80 1 day ago
Civilian Conservation Corp 6 1 day ago
Recognize this quote? 15 3 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Book forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Mar 7, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions