Customer Discussions > Book forum

Need a really good novel

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 108 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 20, 2012 9:47:56 AM PST
Jane Austen says:
I loved Kent Haruf's 4 books. They're keepers! Follow the River is an old book that I've re-read several times.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 10:52:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2012 10:53:07 AM PST
Holly says:
My book group has had two winners in a row that we all liked (and we have very different tastes):

People of the Book: A Novel by Geraldine Brooks
Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 4:20:50 PM PST
dazey mai says:
An oldie, but magnificient book! If you haven't read Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undsted, it will entertain you for a while - over 1,000 pages long, but worth every minute you spend reading it. It taught me things about myself, which I had never even thought about. It reaches right into the soul of a woman. I read it when I was in my 30s. I would read it again, but I am much older now and can't handle heavy books now - also read much slower.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 4:30:56 PM PST
Miss M says:
Saw this website recommended on amazon uk - a 'tourist map of literature' - type in a favorite author and get names of others that are similar. Kind of fun - might provide some ideas.

http://www.literature-map.com/

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 8:29:44 AM PST
bookworm says:
Try The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh. I couldn't put it down and have had great response from the people to whom I have suggested it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 9:41:34 AM PST
I just read The Mortal Instruments, best books I have read in years!! By Cassandra Clare.

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 10:31:14 AM PST
Read a reallly "great read" titled A Good American that just came out Feb. 7th by Alex George published by Amy Einhorn Books.
If you want to follow an apic, follow this new author. You become immersed from the minute you start the first paragraph. I was only
sorry it ended.

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 11:06:39 AM PST
Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver also Bean Trees & Pigs in Heaven & The Lacuna - all beautifully written - but packed with so much knowledge & humor...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 11:16:18 AM PST
Nehneh says:
Kate Morton--great historical fiction, not a genre I typically enjoy, but I highly recommend her. Particularly The House at Riverton, and The Distant Hours. Excellent reads. Good luck! I'm really enjoying this forum.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 12:57:10 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 21, 2012 1:00:44 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 12:58:33 PM PST
SP63 says:
Jessica: The Road to Springfield is by a new author: Wynn Perry. This book is a historical comedy/drama. I found it interesting.

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 2:34:39 PM PST
Jodi May says:
Mostly anything by Elllen Gilchrist is good. If you enjoy Western Novels-Larry McMurtry is an Excellent writer.

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 8:12:55 PM PST
Evelyn says:
Yes, I agree - Rules of Civility is just great! But, so is the new Robert Massie book, Catherine the Great. And, Citizens of London is a major favorite of our book group.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 11:41:32 PM PST
Cynthyrae says:
I highly recommend Diane Gabaldon's Outlander series. Great historical fiction, romance, action and adventure with time traveling thrown in. You will fall in love with her main characters, Claire and Jamie. I have the series of 6 books and have read them several times. They are like old friends. Check out the authors website for great information.

Posted on May 31, 2012 2:39:11 PM PDT
Funaek says:
A few recommendations for relatively recent books:

The Night Circus
The Shadow of the Wind
The Book Thief
Susanna Kearsley books
Sarah Addison Allen books
State of Wonder
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
The Weird Sisters
Clara and Mr. Tiffany

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 6:04:53 AM PDT
Knuckle Head says:
Check out A Time to Hustle. I really liked it..

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 3:21:02 PM PDT
poorvic says:
For history and science buffs strongly recommend Krakatoa. For very british humor (some understanding of the brits is required) Tom Sharpe is hilarious. He fled South Africa because he was involved in abolishing aparthied, so many of his writings have to do with the british imperial fantasy at its most outlandish.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 6:53:23 PM PDT
i also loved this book. also love louise pennys series of inspector gamache.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 7:58:56 PM PDT
The girl with the dragon tattoo trilogy was wonderful. the movies terrible. the author only wrote the three books before passing away. He was really gifted. I started reading the first book and was so taken with the writing, I bought the other two for fear of them not being available. The author is swedish and the books take place in sweden. I had never given sweden a thought until now and I can't wait to get my travel arrangements made. The story has so many characters, but the girl with the dragon tattoo is so well thought out and written, you just can't put it down. I even bought the 3 european movies which were terrible and the american version, which was worse. If you had not read the books, no way would you have a clue what the movies were about. I really think you'll enjoy them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 8:02:01 PM PDT
compromising positions was the first book of Isaac's I read. I loved it. Her others are pretty good but to me, they don't "get" you like compromising positions.

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 1:37:36 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 19, 2012 8:39:03 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 1:47:25 PM PDT
I sympathise, Samantha. I've lost count of the books that have been recommended or are 'known classics' that have really disappointed. It's just so subjective.
The kindle has been a revelation for me - download the first 10% is a good guide to whether you'll like it.
For the record my favourites novel of all time is The Green Mile by Stephen King (Dolores Claiborne is excellent too). Favourite non-fiction is The Railway Man by Eric Lomax. Anything by Bill Bryson or early Tom Sharpe for humour.

Good Luck,
Ray Kingfisher (Matchbox Memories, Tales of Loss and Guilt)

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 8:03:11 PM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
Read Cabinet of Curiosities by Preston and Childs. One of the most exciting books I ever read and cannot be put down until finished.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 8:10:58 PM PDT
Have I got suggestions for you.
Joseph C. Lincoln
P.G. Wodehouse
Fanny Flagg (southern but really good)
Amy Tan
Maeve Binchy
Don't skip the classics either

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012 3:09:10 PM PDT
Larry Kelley says:
You are absolutely right about the Girl/Dragon books. I finally got all three together and read them all again in a matter of days. Fantastic. I also recommend books by Dana Stabenow--read them in order that they are written--if she can't make you laugh, make you cry, you are likely short of a heart. I am also touting my most favorite books I have read in years, written by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller, they take place in "The Liaden Universe" and they are so good I have reread all of them many times-which if you read the reviews on Amazon and on the books covers, you will see that many others do the same. They are such a treat.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Book forum
Participants:  75
Total posts:  108
Initial post:  Feb 16, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions