Customer Discussions > Book forum

Trying to find an old novel about a shrink

Discussion moved to this forum by Amazon on May 2, 2008 1:55:53 PM PDT.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 19, 2008 5:09:07 AM PST
R. B. Pearl says:
I'm looking for the title and/or author of a paperback that I read in the late 1950s or early '60s. It's a novel about a psychoanalyst who goes through his own crisis of self-doubt -- even while becoming and serving as president of the national psychoanalytic organization. He also learns he has cancer and falls in love for the second time. Perhaps the most stunning and telling description in the book is that of watching a squirrel scampering across a powerline in search of food for the winter. Hope I'm not the only one who read that book. Thanks in advance for your help.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2008 4:56:12 AM PDT
A TASTE OF MY OWN MEDICINE: WHEN THE DOCTOR IS THE PATIENT by Edward Rosenbaum; also published under the title DOCTOR. He's a rheumatologist, not a psychiatrist, but plot sounds similar.
THE DOCTOR, a movie starring William Hurt, is based on this true story.

MY OWN MEDICINE: A DOCTOR'S LIFE AS PATIENT by Geoffrey Kurland. Probably too recent, and, this one's a pulmonologist with tb and leukemia.

Good luck finding the one you're looking for.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2008 7:28:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2008 7:29:35 PM PDT
Kristy Caley says:
I believe the starving artist is correct. Hoever if you are looking for a book about a descent into psychosis and return, try Eden Express by Mark Vonnegut M.D.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2008 4:03:50 AM PDT
R. B. Pearl says:
Thanks for your input. These aren't the book I am trying to find, but I appreciate your effort. (I thought it may have a title like "Final Analysis", but when I checked for that book at Amazon, I found only an old murder mystery and a book that trashes psychoanalysis.) Oh, well ... I'll keep checking!
Thanks again.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 2:53:56 PM PST
marriet says:
Am trying to find an old novel, where the girl moves to south africa after something goes wrong with her career, and she moved to south africa to work for a rich family and look after two kids, she then falls in love with one of the man's son, they get married . but on there honeymoon she discovered she was tricked by her husband who planned to marry her because he had some suspicion about her been a gold digger, he then her there on that remote island where they honeymooned with some crazy dogs. she manage to get away due to a storm , and left. she ran away and had a so.... well that's as far as i remember, if anyone knows this book please let me know. thanks!!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Book forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Jan 19, 2008
Latest post:  Dec 1, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions