Customer Discussions > Book forum

Looking for a good mystery

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 28, 2012 7:44:18 PM PDT
Beetlejuice says:
I have never really read any books in mystery. What are some good books to start with? I usually read fantasy, but I need a break from it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 9:47:22 AM PDT
Hemingway says:
In the Woods by Tana French

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 1:58:14 PM PDT
Read It All says:
Here is one book that was really good: Blue Monday: A Novel I am assuming you mean murder mystery.

Also, here is the address of the Mystery Forum: http://www.amazon.com/forum/mystery/ref=rft_tft_fp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2M2KAK12HD871

They should be able to recommend plenty of mysteries. There should be plenty of threads with recommendations already there, also.

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 5:30:03 PM PDT
rumble tumble by joe r. lansdale. this multi-genre author comes across as james ellroy with a sense of humour. james ellroy wrote some damn good mysteries early in his career. check out brown's requim. too bad the mystery genre has been taken over by women whowrite abouts cats and recipies. though crais and pellicanos are hanging in there for us men.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 5:45:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 29, 2012 5:49:35 PM PDT
Kelly Green says:
Carol O'Connel writes very good mysterey's. One of the main characters is Kathy Mallory, a NY City detective. I believe the first book is Mallory's Oracle. Best to read in order. Another good writer i s David Hewes. His main character is Nic Costa and take place in Rome, Italy. Also best read in order. NO cute cats or recipes in these books. These are good intelligent and gritty reads.

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 2:11:26 PM PDT
Sherlock Holmes..... Arthur Conan Doyle

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2012 9:45:08 PM PDT
The Mallory books by Carol O'Connell. The first is "Mallory's Oracle"
There are lots of good mysteries, but this one is a favorite.
Also the Rex Stout books, which are very different, lighter, but a lot of fun.
Good hunting!!

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 11:33:14 PM PDT
Try Bone of My Bone (Kindle)Bone of My Bone

Posted on Aug 31, 2012 11:35:38 AM PDT
Michael Connelly and Robert Crais are really good. It is better to start with 1st book of each writer and read in order.

Posted on Aug 31, 2012 11:41:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 31, 2012 11:43:18 AM PDT
Sandycakes says:
Gillian Flynn, she has 3 books out. her latest is on the best seller list, they are all good, although her first is my least favorite. Louise Penny has a great series, definitely start at the beginning. If you like dogs, Spencer Quinn has a super fun series featuring Chet& Bernie. JD Robb, Ruth Rendell, Rita mae Brown, Ian Rankin, there are so many! These are a few.

Posted on Aug 31, 2012 1:37:22 PM PDT
Larry Kelley says:
I have been re-reading some favorite mystery writers. Try Dana Stabenow "Kate Shugak" series, best read in order. Tony Hillermans novels. John Sanford--he is terrible-because he will make you laugh at the wrong time. Thomas Perry is very good. T. Jefferson Parker is good, but don't start with his last two or three novels-he is writing a series and it isn't, in my humble opinion, very good--but any books previous to the series are all excellent. I second/third/ Robert Crais and Carol O'Connell (she writes the Mallory novels).

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2012 2:18:53 PM PDT
Vince Flynn series about Mitch Rapp. Great! outstanding!

Posted on Aug 31, 2012 6:19:09 PM PDT
Andrea Kane's last two books "The Girl Who Disappeared Twice" and "The Line Between Here and Gone". Couldn't put them down. For all of you who enjoy TV shows and/or books using today's forensics and computer magic you will love these books.

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 2:35:10 AM PDT
Ferd says:
The Cabinet of Curiosities by Preston and Child is an awesome mystery book. In fact the whole Pendergast detective series by these two authors are very good. You will love them.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 6:24:12 AM PST
Anyman says:
Well, I would say the ultimate mystery book (because it is based on real life), is, You Are Free, by John Richard - this will keep you guessing from chapter to chapter, as you are lead from one surprising (sometimes, shocking) conclusion to another. If you want something to shake up your thinking and the way you look at your world, then this is it

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 1:16:12 PM PST
A customer says:
Any Dave Robicheaux novel by James Lee Burke.

Also: Tapping the Source, by Kem Nunn.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 10:18:59 PM PST
A wise suggestion -- true literature combined with gritty plot and involved action, produced by a true master!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 7:18:47 AM PST
I agree with you, Vince. I also just finished "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn, and it was fabulously well-written, and wicked to the core, one of my favorite mysteries ever!

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 10:41:56 AM PST
J. K. Grice says:
I concur whole-heartedly with the Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child Agent Pendergrast series mentioned by Ferd, as well as the works by James Lee Burke. Some of my favorite thrillers also include:
1. THE CHURCH OF DEAD GIRLS by Stephen Dobyns
2. TROPIC OF NIGHT by Michael Gruber
3. IN THE LAKE OF THE WOODS by Tim O'brien
4. The Matthew Corbett series by Robert McCammon
5. THE HOUSE OF SILK by Anthony Horowitz

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 11:24:05 AM PST
M. WRIGHT says:
Joe Nesbo's books.

Posted on Feb 22, 2013 7:04:14 AM PST
Laurie R. King writes an amazing Sherlock Holmes series with Mary Russell as Sherlocks apprentice. I read 'The Beekeepers Apprentice' and fell in love with it. I have since purchased & loves all the series.

Posted on Feb 22, 2013 7:48:26 AM PST
Two great series of mystery/detective novels:

Lew Archer series by Ross McDonald (thinking man's PI, I've read them out in the bush in Vietnam, great entertainment and a great read)
Travis McGee series by John D McDonald (they're not related)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 10:55:09 AM PST
lee child is good and i just discovered a writer named allison gaylan... excellent.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 9:38:41 PM PST
Allison says:
We're reading that for our book club right now!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2013 5:12:41 PM PST
pat'spix says:
OMG! The Cabinet of Curiosities was the creme de creme of mystery, horror, and imagination of the authors 'run amok'! BUT one of the best of P&C and its genre. I've read most of their books. Be ready for a big ride with this one!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Book forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  Aug 28, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 22, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions