Customer Discussions > Book forum

Your Biggest Reading Fail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 151 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 30, 2012 11:20:41 AM PDT
KinksRock says:
What is a book you never read or started to read but didn't finish that is your biggest reading fail? For me it is GRAVITY'S RAINBOW. I had wanted to read it for years, and I finally got to it. It's like a thousand pages long, and I plowed into it with enthusiasm. But I just lost track of what was going on . . . I just didn't get it . . . and about a hundred pages from the end I decided it wasn't worth it. So I can't put this on a list of books I've read. My biggest reading fail.

Posted on May 30, 2012 10:31:34 PM PDT
Quinton Blue says:
Sometimes it takes a second try. Years ago, I started reading Tolstoy's "War and Peace" and quit after 70 pages or so. Then it sat on a shelf for years. I started it again and couldn't put it down.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 5:28:46 AM PDT
KinksRock says:
WAR AND PEACE is long, but has a linear plot, broken up by some essays about military strategy. In many ways, I think a shorter novel like THE SOUND AND THE FURY, with a purposely confusing narrative, is more difficult than WAR AND PEACE. The thing about a long novel like W&P is that you kind of have to take a deep breath and commit to reading it for a while. GRAVITY'S RAINBOW was like the worst of both worlds: incredibly long and incomprehensible as it got towards the end.

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 11:41:33 PM PDT
MelissaP says:
REMEMBRANCE OF THINGS PAST. Tried once, got several hundred pages in, took it up again a few years later where I had left off, read several hundred pages more. Stopped. I don't know if it's more interesting in French. I'm absolutely unafraid of length in a story, in fact if it's really good the longer the better. But I like a tolerably straightforward narrative.

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 4:23:29 PM PDT
J. Brandt says:
I could not get through "A Game of Thrones." I had every intention of just pouring through it, but after about 200 pages I just gave up and tried to figure out why everyone raved about that book.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 5:19:27 PM PDT
CatLady says:
For me it was 'the Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest". I loved the first book in the trilogy, was lukewarm about the second, and found that I just didn't care about the characters or the plot anymore by the third. Forced myself to read 3/4 of it-then gave up because I had much more interesting books to read!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 5:42:49 PM PDT
Lisareads says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 9:29:38 PM PDT
war and peace
they kept changing the names of the characters
who knows russian nicknames anyway

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 5:41:25 AM PDT
KinksRock says:
I didn't mean literally.

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 5:48:02 AM PDT
Oooh.... I just keep struggling with Dickens. I'm not unaccustomed to reading Victorian texts, documents and fiction, but I just can't get into his. I know he's brilliant, I know it's his 100th birthday, and I know it's my fault, but there's something about his writing style that makes me realise how much the grass needs mowing.

Oh dear, I feel like I just shot Tinkerbell...

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 6:46:38 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 13, 2012 6:47:13 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 6:50:02 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 13, 2012 6:50:23 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 8:15:59 AM PDT
KinksRock says:
It's ok. And I don't like Bruce Springsteen even though I've heard how wonderful he is for years.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 8:26:30 AM PDT
D. J Pack says:
I've had a couple/few over the years, the most recent was Cloud Atlas. I just couldn't care about any of it. I've also had the same issue with Charles Dicken's Great Expectations and Stoker's Dracula. Not sure what it was with those books, perhaps I had heard too much about the books beforehand.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 8:29:08 AM PDT
KinksRock says:
I would recommend trying a lesser known Dickens novel, like The Old Curiosity Shop.

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 8:41:18 AM PDT
I think I've probably been spoiled by seeing too many TV & Film adaptations, so I know the actual stories too well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 8:42:21 AM PDT
KinksRock says:
No film can really do justice to Dickens's writing.

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 10:19:36 AM PDT
Has anyone completed "Finnegan's Wake?" How about highly-touted books that turn out to be trash? "The Other Boleyn Girl" was one I tossed in the trash...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 11:10:11 AM PDT
KinksRock says:
I couldn't read ULYSSES. Not if my life depended on it.

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 4:11:21 PM PDT
Iola says:
Long Walk to Freedom 1 (v. 1) by Nelson Mandela. And at least two books by Phillippa Gregory (although I did manage to finish The Other Boleyn Girl).

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 9:01:12 AM PDT
Oldjazzer says:
Dahlgren by Samuel R. Delaney. This was many years ago when I was really taken with science fiction. It is a very long novel, and I waded through perhaps 100 or so pages of it and did not have the slightest idea what was going on so cut my losses and gave it up. There have been one or two others that were pretty rough going, but I managed to finish them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 9:05:46 AM PDT
Oldjazzer says:
I agree. His stories, even the shorter ones, are so rich in characters and detail they must be read. Dickens is my overall favorite author and even though it takes considerable time to get through most of his books, I feel it is time well spent.

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 7:26:53 PM PDT
I tryied reading twillight because everyone said it was awsome, but i got like halfway threw it and i just went with my gut feeling and said it sucked and trust me it does!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 5:27:35 AM PDT
KinksRock says:
That's not exactly a "fail". More of a "succeed" . . . maybe "suck-cede"? I did read TWILIGHT, and can confirm that it is absolutely awful.

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 9:42:16 AM PDT
Mariah M says:
The Odessey! It's a tough read and I adored reading it in highschool years ago. The thing is, as much as I enjoy a good challenge, having three kids kinda stands I'n the way of comprehending anything above the alphabet. I'm still trying to work this one in though lol.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Book forum
Participants:  80
Total posts:  151
Initial post:  May 30, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions