Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Book forum

Recommened adult fantasy and sci fi.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 25, 2012 7:22:36 PM PDT
A. Johnson says:
Hi all
Can anybody recommened some really dark gritty fantasy or sci-fi novels? I love stuff by Tolkkien,Hobb,Herbert and Martin but I'm looking for something a bit darker. Any help will be much appricated!!!

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 12:05:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 26, 2012 12:06:15 AM PDT
Roger Zelazny, anything by. Also, for one of a kind speculation about nonhuman species, Octavia Butler.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 7:01:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 26, 2012 7:01:29 AM PDT
How about The Road by Cormac McCarthy ? Of all the PA novels I have read in the last 40 years ,The Road was the darkest and grittiest. Many readers did not rave about it because of the ending or the over all "feel" of the book. I disagree; the ending fits the
tone of the book , and leaves us with a natural seque into a possible sequel ( which I hope will arrive in 2013). A magnificent read.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 12:53:28 PM PDT
Have you read Dan Simmons' Hyperion series?
Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere? (This 1 is sort of dark urban fantasy.)

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 12:31:53 PM PDT
The Road, by Cormac McCarhty, definitely. A hard book to read, but one of the best I've read.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 4:56:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2012 5:00:11 PM PDT
HB says:
Of Love And Evil The Birth is a first of a trilogy. can't wait for the second one, it's as good as any thing I've ever read. It's dark, scary while beautifully written. It's a great fantasy.

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 4:40:13 AM PDT
Steve says:
For down and out in your face dark and gritty fantasy per requested try The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever. There are three Chronicles each with three books and therefore both a long adventure and commitment but if you can get into this work and lose yourself like I did, you'll be rewarded with a great Fantastical treat! Granted there are few warm and fuzzy like Hobbits or even outcast bastard sons of noblemen but a pathetic character whose reality suddenly becomes twisted into a cosmic karmic self fulfillment show, nightmarish, obtuse and frighteningly familiar.
Through the medium of Thomas, Donaldson offers an accounting of the ravaging of a fictitious planet and its fight for survival. Silent Spring awakened my curious probing nature to the ills of Manunkind. To kill himself was one thing, to foul and slowly kill his nest was another. If evil exists it lies in our disconnect with the Land and with a political system that corrupts our spiritual dwelling with the Land. There is genius here at work splaying out in all its manifest forms-the good, the bad and the truly ugly. Unfortunately most readers don't get far enough with these books to find the gems of insight that lead to the cathartic aha's! Fantasy-yes, but fictitious-uhm.."

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 1:18:08 PM PDT
Dan Simmons Hyperion series as a great jump into the darker,gritty side,as well as a wonderful,provocative epic.SM Stirling is another heavy hitter with a long running,post-apocalyptic series that always delivers,Peter F. Hamilton is a must-read author as well.
Mike

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 5:33:43 PM PDT
Arda says:
Robert Jordan's Series "The Wheel of Time".

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 11:43:09 AM PDT
Steve says:
I wanted to thank you for recommending Octavia Butler. She had completely evaded my radar for some reason but know thanks to you I'm mid way through Seed to Harvest and have been neglecting my landscape duties, finding all kinds of excuses to stay in and read it. Unfortunately she passed away before her wish of 90 but left behind what appears to be a brilliant insightful mesmerizing conceptual framework of an alternative explanation to the Evolution we all know and perhaps may not love. Her insights are stunning. She did not win the Hugo award for this one, or these, but tilled fertile ground with a mind and imagination on fire. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 12:32:07 PM PDT
Terri says:
I recomend Melabeth the Vampire by E.B. Hood www.melabeth.com

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 7:18:52 PM PDT
Try anything by joe Abercrombie,that should be what your looking for

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 7:27:36 AM PDT
Susan Heddy says:
Arrogant Wealth is free today.... starts in the year 2031 and cool travel technologies.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 3:30:02 PM PST
I second that, his books are hard to put down. I also suggest Patrick Tilley's Amtrak Wars series, as well as Raymond E. Feist's books, starting with Magician Apprentice.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 7:21:47 PM PST
Andrea says:
One of the most imaginative and enjoyable books I've read recently is Clive Barker's "Imajica". It's dark, sexy, hilarious, modern, creatively astonishing and quite moving. Hang in there for a few chapters and you will be transported into a world you will be sad to say goodbye to when the book is finished.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 12:18:59 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 30, 2012 9:26:24 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 3:19:45 PM PST
Dawg says:
A couple of older series that you may want to consider, who's authors have recently restarted:
Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R Donaldson--the main character is very much the anti-hero with themes of self doubt and despair. Very well written, definite dark themes throughout the series. 9 books in the series, including the newer ones.
Shanarra series--Series starts out similar to Tolkien, but it eventually becomes clear that the setting is a post-apocalyptic world. The newer books explore the genesis of the apocalypse. Some parts darker than others. Probably some 15+ books in the entire series.
Robert Jordan--first three books of Wheel of Time were very good, but then he seemed to wander aimlessly for the next 7 books or so.
George RR Martin--first three books are some of the best ever written for fantasy settings, but as before the series seems to lose focus in books 4-6. Definitely some of the grittiest stuff I've read in a while.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Book forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Sep 25, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions