Customer Discussions > Broadway forum

books or movies that you would like musicalized

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 42 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 15, 2010 4:54:29 PM PDT
Is there a book or a movie that you particularly cherish and would like to see musicalized? Personally, I would love to see THE PRIME OF MISSS JEAN BRODIE put to music (not by Lloyd Webber) and a wonderful movie from the 60's called SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE that starred Angela Lansbury.

Posted on May 17, 2010 5:37:27 PM PDT
Neal Foore says:
without a doubt - the one movie I wish they would put into a musical is "Bell Book and Candle" - great characters, sweet plot and could have another great incarnation, like "Auntie Mame" becoming "Mame".

Posted on Jun 20, 2010 1:43:11 AM PDT
Josh says:
Nightmare Before Christmas, directed by Julie Taymor. Am I right, or am I right?

Posted on Jun 20, 2010 9:36:55 PM PDT
valley of the dolls would be amazing as a musical, it could turn something camp, even campier! lol

Posted on Jun 20, 2010 9:49:43 PM PDT
myambee says:
The Great Gatsby- think of the awesome 20's costumes and the sweet jazz orchestrations!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2010 6:07:10 PM PDT
chuck70 says:
i'm not sure but, does anyone remember a musical of bell book and candle i think it was either a flop in england or a flop on the road here in the u.s. does anyone remember..........................just called a friend and it was talked about but, never came to pass about 25 years ago. good idea for one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2010 6:08:58 PM PDT
chuck70 says:
josh.......lets just see if she can get her spiderman off the ground first.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2010 9:58:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 2, 2010 10:03:36 AM PDT
Operaman! says:
You do realize that "Something for Everyone" was a less dangerous pseudo-remake of Pasolini's controversial film "Teorema". Religious fundamentalists will have a heyday with that one! But the idea of Jean as a musical is a good one. I'd suggest Adam Guettel as the composer.

And while we're at it, how about a musical version of EM Forster's Maurice? Perhaps Ricky Ian Gordon the composer of that one.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2010 10:05:50 AM PDT
Operaman! says:
VOTD as a musical ONLY if it's closer to Susann's book than the horrible 1965 movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2010 12:30:24 PM PDT
Didn't know it was based on a Pasolini film. At least it's not "Salo", which is the most upsetting movie I've ever sat through. Not an ounce of hope.
Adam Guettel would be a fine choice.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2010 7:03:51 AM PDT
Bill Mobley says:
I have some Twilight Zone shows I'd like to see musicalized:
"A Nice Place To Visit" (The one about the guy who thinks he's in Heaven, but it turns out he is in the other place).
"Nightmare as a Child" (The one about the little girl who appears to her grownup self to bring back the memory of her mother's murderer). I just picture the child singing something like "Castle On a Cloud."
I can't remember the name of this one. But the one about the guy who can change his face to look like anybody he wants.

Posted on Oct 9, 2010 6:51:59 AM PDT
Dick Tracy with five Sondheim songs and starring Madonna. I can just see Bernadette Peters or Idina Menzel in the Madonna role.

Posted on Jan 7, 2011 7:13:09 PM PST
E. Rogers says:
Can't you just see something by Lovecraft made into a musical? I am a sick person, I guess - it would have to be a very unusual show, probably off-Broadway. But it would be an interesting evening in the theatre! I would like to see "Music in the Air" revived, on or off B'way. I called DRG Records some months ago when I heard they were going to do a concert performance of it - with Barbara Cook. Somehow, Hugh Fordin himself answered the phone! He told me they did not record it, as it would have been too expensive. Bummer! Ed Rogers edwinphoenix@aol.com

Posted on Jan 19, 2011 8:41:06 AM PST
Mark C. Hawk says:
People will say I'm crazy, but I think Streisand's "Yentl" could be reworked as an effective Book musical, expanding the score to include period/incidental music, with songs for all the major characters - whose views are personal to the character's place in the action (all the major characters are in love with someone other than the character who loves them, the characters are all keeping secrets of some kind, there is a spiritual factor to the proceedings, etc.)that could be examined and/or expressed in song, and could be easily set to music. There are also scenes that lend themselves to group numbers - the wedding of Anshel & Hadass, the early scenes with Yentl being taught in secret by her elderly father, the pub scenes with the Yeshiva students "celebrating" knowledge, learning, and questioning life/love/God. I think with the right creative team it could work beautifully.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2011 4:36:11 PM PST
E. Rogers says:
Dear Mark - I do not think this would make a stage musical. It is a personality thing, and without a Barbra, it would not work. And at her age, she is not going to commit to Bway. Remember, she sang all of the songs, or maybe all but one in the movie. And I think she wrote them, or at least some of them. Remember in "On a Clear Day..." many of the other characters were cut, and again she sang most of the songs. It was not a good movie. I thought "Yentl" was a bad movie. With her ego, she would want to control everything. It would be a train wreck, in my estimation. edwinphoenix@aol.com

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2011 2:39:07 AM PST
Mark C. Hawk says:
Hi Edwin! I didn't mean to suggest that Streisand would star in it. I thought it would make an interesting basis for a musical adaptation...not with Barbra, and not strictly transferring the movie to stage. I happen to like the movie very much, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I doesn't sound like you're a fan of Ms. Streisands, which is certainly an opinion you're entitlede to as well. Thanks for your comments. PS - Michel LeGrand wrote the music and Marilyn and Alan Bergman did the lyrics for the film "Yentl.". Streisand wasn't involved in the movie's score.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2011 9:07:30 AM PST
E. Rogers says:
Thanks, Mark - It well may be that "Yentl" would make a musical for the stage-stranger things have happened. I know that producers and composers have a heck of a time getting anything produced on B'way., nowadays with the costs so high. I see that "Spiderman" has cost upwards of $60 million so far, and they have injured a no.of people trying to get all of the bugs worked out. It sounds like a hopeless case to me - I hope I am wrong. I hope they do not kill someone before they figure it all out or just write it off as a loss. I know I would not walk across the street to see it. I cannot imagine what the tickets cost. At the puppet theater where I work we got free tix to "Avenue Q" when it was here some months ago. The actors did not project and it was hard to hear-not just me-the young people were complaining about that, too. I thought the show was dreadful. I was in a legitimate theatre box office here in Phoenix for four years and we had wonderful shows, "Cabaret," "George M.", "Barefoot in the Park," John Raitt in "Carousel," "Hadrian VII" with Hume Cronyn, "I Do, I Do " with Mary Martin and Robert Preston and on and on. I guess a lot of the new shows do not have enough good music and dancing to excite me, of course I like non-musicals, too. Well, I am making too many errors, so will stop. I am recovering from hideous virus! Be well, always interesting discussing musical and non-musical theatre! Ed

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2011 11:05:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 20, 2011 11:07:32 AM PST
Mark C. Hawk says:
Hope you're feeling better soon. Spiderman (!) What are they thinking...with this kind of overhead? It will have to be a Phantom/Cats size hit to see any profit, and how can they possibly tour a show with so much...excess? (And do we need another Phantom or Cats?) And the prices are a crime. I won't tell you what we paid to see "Billy Elliott" right after it's Tony win, but I wouldn't do it again. (We could have gone to three shows!) You're so right - musicals are disappearing. The price (to produce and to attend) just too astronomical for many to risk. And since these days, it seems most Broadway producers are businessmen, and much of what we've been seeing is not "art," and to my mind, barely qualifies as theater - these jukebox musicals and horrific adaptations of movies to which music adds absolutely nothing, and in many cases, distracts. We used to subsscribe to both theaters in Seattle which have (basically) musical theater seasons. Two years ago we let both lapse as there simply weren't enough plays that we hadn't already seen, were a revival, a jukebox/movie musicalization, or else it was something we simply had no desire to see. So now we just pick and choose the shows we decide to see, or attend or areas many smaller professional theater companies, which continue to produce and revive lost and rarely performed shows. That seems to be where the creativity and imagination is being displayed these days, or at least that's where I'm finding it. Well, take care of yourself. Best regards, Mark

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2011 4:13:23 PM PST
chuck70 says:
mark, you are so right.............years ago i would go to n. y. from pa. to see all of the new musicals..........for years it was great. ever since (the last thing i saw was) will rogers follies it has just been to much money. and thats that. now i see nothing (pity) but, just can't afford to go with parking, gas, food and the TICKET.......no can do. same thing with the local shows that tour.......had subscribe to the shows for years then, revival after revival nothing new..............droped it..............i love the live shows but, to pay up the nose for it is just not worth it..............how these people in new york can afford these shows is beyond me............oh well, when i hit the lotto i'll be back.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2011 8:05:59 PM PST
You pinpointed it exactly. Do we need another Phantom or Cats? Leave these extravaganzas for the theme parks where spectacle reigns and substance is superfluous. I think that in part, criticism must go to the critics such as Isherwood in The Times. He gave AMERICAN IDIOT an unqualified rave, which is nothing more than a lot of ear splitting noise, foul language and a rock concert trying to be a Broadway musical. Put this in a hockey arena where it belongs. But the biggest joe is the Prime Seats at $300.00+. No show is worth that.
Shows are no longer produced by the likes of David Merrick or Hal Prince; thy're now corporate entities, which reflects that quality of poor taste on Broadway.
Thank God for productions like BROADWAY BY THE YEAR (the best buy in NYC) and Encores.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2011 7:14:25 AM PST
E. Rogers says:
Hear, Hear, Paul - I certainly agree with you. And 60 plus million dollars spent on Spiderman?? And injuring people on the crazy rigging?? What is that all about? Every year I watch the Tonys and see excerpts of shows I never want to see. The trouble is that we seem to have lttle talent in the composers and lyricists of today, and/or that we continue to celebrate mediocrity. The best production I have seen in a few years was the PBS showing of Adam Guettel's "Light in the Piazza." I hope someone in Phoenix does it. I'm glad I taped the PBS showing. Ed Rogers edwinphoenix@aol.com

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2011 8:02:15 AM PST
E. Rogers says:
Hey Mark, it is just Ed from Phoenix again. Dr. changed my antibiotic and I think it is helping. I do not know anything about Billy Elliott musical, I know my late brother and I were very disappointed in the movie. I go to local Phoenix Theatre, now an equity house, when they have something I really want to see. Last year I saw "Curtains," and "Glorious" there, both very good. Glorious is the other Florence Foster Jenkins musical and it was hilarious. I have had her LP for about a hundred years, I think. A couple of weeks ago my younger niece, her two daughters and I went there to see "Hairspray." They did a great job, but I did not come out whistling or singing any of the songs. Right now they are doing "No Way to Treat a Lady," which I know nothing about. I will go there in April to see "Nine." I really enjoyed the movie. I have heard it made no money and got bad reviews, but I liked it. There are touring shows at our Grady Gammage auditorium at AZ State University, but they've not had much I wanted to see. "Little House on the Prairie" was here with Melissa Gilbert. I did not even know it was a stage musical! Also a week or so ago, they had "Shrek." I had no interest in that. Some of the dinner theatres here have had some of the better shows, believe it or not. I think we are down to two now. Several of the smaller theatre companies have folded. A few years ago one of them did Sondheim's "Assasins," a show I thought I'd never get to see. A small production, it was very good. Grand Canyon University recently started up their theatre dept. again, after letting it lie fallow for five years. They usually sell out. Next they are doing "The Frogs," of Aristophanes, performed at their swimming pool! The acoustics should be interesting. Yes, thank goodness for the "Encores" series and others of that type. I wish PBS would broadcast more of that type of show. Ed Rogers

Posted on Jan 21, 2011 9:27:17 AM PST
Mark C. Hawk says:
Hi Ed. Glad to hear you're starting to feel better. (The magic of antibiotics!) It's funny you mention "Hairspray" and "The Light at the Piazza," which both were originally produced by theater groups right here in the Seattle area. I saw early productions of both, and knew immediately they had hits on their hands if the shows didn't close (or run out of money) before finding an audience. LOL regarding Melissa Gilbert and the "Little House" musical. Who knew? I'm waiting for the brilliant person who decides that "The Miracle Worker" just HAS to be set to music! And I totally agree with you regarding PBS. In 2006, I saw the NY production of "Company" with Raul Esparza, and the following season PBS telecast the same production. It was great to relive the show, but even better - the innovative production and staging (by John Doyle) were preserved for posterity...for future generations to enjoy, study, and reference. Amazingly (and thankfully), it is the smaller theaters who now take the chances, and revive shows that aren't widely known but deserve to be. Whereas 15 or 20 years ago, many smaller theater groups, community theaters, and yes...even dinner theaters, were trying to be creative and at the same time appeal to the widest possible audience. That's a hard balancing act, but as with "Assassins," it's great to see that people are up to the challange, and that creativity still has an audience.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2011 5:06:49 PM PST
E. Rogers says:
Thanks for your note, Mark! I did not know about the Seattle connection. For "Hairspray" and "Piazza," I mean. I bought "Company" on DVD about a year ago - may be that same production that was on PBS. I have not looked at it yet. My family tells me not to buy any more VHS or DVDs until I look at all that I have! I ignore that, of course. "Miracle Worker" as a musical, Hmmm... Remember that movie from the 90s where the rich kids start their own summer camp, 'cause they think the ones their folks have been sending them to are boring? They hire a defrocked teacher, Christopher Lloyd, to be the camp manager. He was supposedly thrown out of his school job for trying to put on a jr. high musical he was writing, based on "Silence of the Lambs!" I think I have it on an old VHS tape around here somewhere. I do have too much stuff. The Arizona State University has wonderful classical concerts, both symphony and chamber, and I have friends who like to drive at night-I do not, so they take me to these great concerts at an auditorium designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, and the charge is either free, or $8. Can't beat that. And they have a smaller theatre where they do operas and musicals. They do a fine job. I did not care for "Dido and Aenaes" (spelling) but several others have been great. Last year they did "Sunday in the Park with George," which did not do a lot for me. Next is "Best Littlle Whorehouse," which I have seen. It was fun but I think I'll skip it this time. I was in the beautiful Seattle-Tacoma area a couple of years ago, as we had our Regional Puppetry Festival there. Ihope to come back someday, peferably when it is 113 degrees in Phoenix, like maybe August. Will close with all good wishes, as my sister just called and we are going to Tokyo Express for a bite. Will write more later, Ed

Posted on Jan 21, 2011 6:49:31 PM PST
Mark C. Hawk says:
Ed - the "Silence of the Lambs" as a musical is pretty funny. I remember quite a few years ago, on some TV sitcom (the name of which I can't recall), the plot of one episode involved the son's determination to produce his musical "based on the 3 day marriage of Ethel Merman and Ernest Borgnine," which I thought was an absolutely hysterical notion. (I'm glad you knew the "Miracle Worker" suggestion was a joke. I'm sure there are people who would say, "Well, why not?") I'm so glad you've had the opportunity to see the beauty of the Seattle area. Hope you enjoyed your dinnner with your sister. Most sincerely, Mark
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Broadway forum (68 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
old broadway playbills have a life? 138 Feb 24, 2015
in your dreams - what should be revived and who would you cast in it? 43 Jan 6, 2015
What's your favorite memory of a Broadway show? 395 Oct 10, 2013
Dream Les Miserables Cast 7 Sep 12, 2013
Most disappointing show 87 Aug 20, 2013
tony disappointments 2 Jul 23, 2013
Favorite flop musical 174 Sep 3, 2012
Obscure Broadway singers and songs 220 Jul 4, 2012
The issues involved in revivals of musicals 5 Jul 2, 2012
Spider-Man on Broadway: should we bother seeing it if our seats aren't close to the stage or in the flying circle? 0 May 17, 2012
Fairly new fan of Broadway - what are five DVDs and five cast alblums I should experience? 126 May 9, 2012
What's you're the most over-top-top idea you've got (or heard about) for a musical? (Real, heard from another source, or your own warped idea?) 19 Apr 20, 2012

This discussion

Discussion in:  Broadway forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  42
Initial post:  Apr 15, 2010
Latest post:  May 4, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions