Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Broadway forum

in your dreams - what should be revived and who would you cast in it?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 17, 2010 6:14:43 PM PDT
Neal Foore says:
I would revive "Mame" with Twiggy as Mame and Kirsty Alley as Vera. Tracie Ullman as Gooch. John Goodman as "Mother Burnside".

Posted on Jun 6, 2010 10:04:22 AM PDT
The Scarlet Pimpernel, truly an underrated musical, with Douglas Sills who played the leads in the first two Broadway mountings of the show and on tour

Posted on Jun 10, 2010 10:14:45 AM PDT
Earlady says:
Sunset Blvd with Elaine Paige..again! The one and only Norma! Period..

Posted on Jun 15, 2010 4:49:53 AM PDT
N. Nichols says:
"On The Twentieth Century" with Kristin Chenoweth as Lily, Kevin Kline as Oscar.

Posted on Nov 6, 2010 6:43:20 AM PDT
Chess most certainly. If they use the original London script (but try not to make it "anti American"), set it in the right time period and not use Josh Groban in the lead role it would work. Maybe the leads would be Rob Evan (who played Anatoly for two benefit concerts) and Julia Murney. And hopefully it will become a hit this time!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2010 9:12:04 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Nov 6, 2010 9:12:30 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2010 9:14:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2010 9:17:30 AM PDT
Kudos to N. Nichols. Great choice. Fantastic show (with a great history). Terrific Cy Coleman score, lyrics by Comden & Green (sigh). But who is your Mrs. Letitia Primrose?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2010 6:10:34 PM PDT
Earlady says:
This email was sent to wrong person. Sorry..my in my dreams revival was Sunset Blvd with Elaine Paige as Norma Desmond.

Posted on Nov 12, 2010 11:31:01 PM PST
Elwyn says:
Please revive FUNNY GIRL with Julie Budd, and please bring Jule Styne's musical version of SOME LIKE IT HOT to Broadway. I saw a production in Washington DC about 5 years ago with Tony Curtis, and the score and sets were just superb!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2010 11:33:14 PM PST
Elwyn says:
I agree! I have the soundtrack and have worn it out. Saw this wonderful Frank Wildhorn (?) musical a few years back....great entertainment and very memorable music.

Posted on Nov 21, 2010 5:42:24 PM PST
M. McMillion says:
I wish that they would bring Andrew Loyd Webbers "Whistle Down the Wind" to Broadway. I saw it many years ago when they were doing the prebroadway tryout in D.C. Though it was nowhere as good as some of his earlier works, I still found the score to be wonderful and the title song just blew me away.

Posted on Nov 27, 2010 10:08:34 AM PST
^ "Whistle" is one favorite that has been much revised since that D.C. tryout. A lot is essentially the same, but there's also more that's been played with since then, and it's really come a long way.

I'd also like to see "Dance of the Vampires" make a return, but in a version based on the more successful Austrian production, which came before the Broadway rewrite that sunk the show.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2010 7:26:08 AM PST
N. Nichols says:
Veanne Cox, maybe, but she's probably a bit tall for the part. That's a tough one. Christine Ebersole? Betty Buckley? My original thought on this was to rewrite the part for a man (Lucilius Primrose?) and have him played by Michael Jeter, but, of course, he's gone now so that idea won't float.

Posted on Jan 19, 2011 8:26:16 AM PST
Mark C. Hawk says:
I would like to see an updated, reworked version (updated to reflect the crazy political climate in the country today) of "Call Me Madam" with Barbra Streisand playing the role of Sally Adams. I would want the book and songs to be decidedly UNSLANTED in terms of US/THEM, LIBERALS/CONSERVATIVES, MEN/WOMAN/, DEMOCRATS/REPUBLICANS (in fact rename the parties in the update!) and basically poke fun at everyone, and the over-the-top views embraced by "both sides" of the fence. 've always liked political satire, and realize it's hard to do without either offending someone -or- taking a position/stand - which would make the show exactly what it should be poking fun at - Us aganist Them...and the absolute belief that "Us" is right, correct, and the voice of the people, and of course "Them" feel the exact same way. The show isn't that familiar to the general public, and the "Merman" connection isn't as strong as with "Gypsy" or "Annie Get Your Gun." But to get Streisand to do something that pokes fun at BOTH sides, and not reflect her personal "truth/point-of-view" might be akin to pulling teeth, pulling hair, and eventually...punches. But done right, with a Sondheim handling the music and lyrics, and a strong director like Mike Nichols at the helm, I think it could work wonderfully.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2011 5:41:47 PM PST
chuck70 says:
n. nichols.............i loved on the twentieth century in new york........but, the tour wasn't that good not good at all, very disappointed. i would love to see kristin in on the twentieth century as well as kevin kline............kevin was also very very funny in the original.

Posted on Jun 25, 2011 9:25:04 PM PDT
E. Rogers says:
How abouat reviving "Cat and the Fiddle" - J. Kern. Any good voices - There are so many great people we don't get to hear often enough. Migh need a name, or semi-name, to get it off and running. A concert performance would be good - with a recording, please! What Phoenix needs is a good, low-key light opera or musical ociety - do things on the simple - Oh, sigh! Why ain't I 30 years younger??? Ed, at edwinphoenix@aol.com

Posted on Jun 25, 2011 10:07:15 PM PDT
Actor Man says:
How about Lea Michele from Glee in Funny Girl? Or, and I'm serious, Dianna Agron--who plays Quinn, in "The Sound of Music as Maria. Perhaps Mandy Patinkin as the Captain.

Posted on Jun 26, 2011 6:08:16 AM PDT
cris colfer as rusty in starlight express

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2011 8:25:20 PM PDT
R. Burnett says:
Ten years ago, Carol Burnett.

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 5:40:35 AM PDT
My dream just came true. Always wanted to see a truly great revival of Sondheim's "Follies" with Bernadette Peters. Saw the production in Washington this summer and it was better(!) than the original, almost impossible to conceive in my mind. Opens in NYC in September and I will be there as often as I can.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2011 2:42:21 AM PDT
Lilly says:
Catherine,
I totally agree that Scarlet Pimpernel was sadly underated and that Douglas Sills was excellent in it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2011 2:45:31 AM PDT
Lilly says:
Catherine,
Once again I agree with your casting suggestion of Julia Murney and Rob Evan for Chess.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2011 2:53:04 AM PDT
Lilly says:
Glenn,
I am seeing Follies in late September. Really looking forward to seeing Bernadette Peters, Elaine Paige and the rest of the cast.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2011 4:14:06 AM PDT
Mark C. Hawk says:
I saw the touring company quite a few years ago (10 perhaps?) and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it! So I guess I'm on the "Pimpernel" bandwagon, too!

Posted on Aug 24, 2011 6:09:11 AM PDT
Funny Girl will be revived next year I believe somewhere.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Broadway forum (69 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
old broadway playbills have a life? 173 7 days ago
in your dreams - what should be revived and who would you cast in it? 44 Feb 16, 2016
Interested in buying a few Broadway programs & playbill? 0 Oct 6, 2015
What's your favorite memory of a Broadway show? 395 Oct 10, 2013
Dream Les Miserables Cast 7 Sep 12, 2013
Most disappointing show 87 Aug 20, 2013
tony disappointments 2 Jul 23, 2013
Favorite flop musical 174 Sep 3, 2012
Obscure Broadway singers and songs 220 Jul 4, 2012
The issues involved in revivals of musicals 5 Jul 2, 2012
Spider-Man on Broadway: should we bother seeing it if our seats aren't close to the stage or in the flying circle? 0 May 17, 2012
Fairly new fan of Broadway - what are five DVDs and five cast alblums I should experience? 126 May 9, 2012

This discussion

Discussion in:  Broadway forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  45
Initial post:  May 17, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 16, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions