Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Camping forum

New Tent

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 31, 2011 5:05:58 AM PDT
D. R. Kiska says:
I'm trying to get information on the Coleman instatent. I saw a video on it but was wondering if anyone had purchased one and what you thought of it. I need a new tent and want to get one that isn't to complicated but has at least 2 rooms. I am getting away from a dome style was hoping to get one with straighter sides and several windows and a rain guard. Thanks!

Posted on May 31, 2011 3:26:29 PM PDT
I bought a Coleman instant "dry guaranted" tent - but it leaked... so I took it back and bought a Columbia Cougar Flats II Family Cabin tent for only about $20 more from Amazon. Compare pics and reviews of both of course, but I have to say after seeing both that I LOVE the Cougar Flats II, it is a MUCH better tent even though it's not instant. The poles are color coded and not hard to figure out (1st grey poles are crisscrossed in grey roof loops/clips, 2nd copper poles go in copper roof loops/clips above doors, 3rd thick black poles are for sides and have color coded tape to show where they go, 4th smaller black poles are for baywindows, and lastly pole with rectangular bends is for rainfly.) Hubby and I set it up in about 5 mins the first time without really reading instructions.

One of the HUGE differences between the Coleman tents and the Cougar Flats is that you can actually have 3 open windows (one of them is HUGE) in moderate rain with the Cougar Flats, whereas with the Coleman your windows had better all be up all the way. Makes for a much nicer camping in rain experience I think.

I'll be posting a review soon for Cougar Flatts II after I take it out and actually rain test it, but after reading other reviews I was convinced. I have it set up now and am very very impressed with it.

Posted on May 31, 2011 6:06:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 31, 2011 6:08:06 PM PDT
oh, and I forgot to mention that even though it says the Cougar Flats is a dome tent, it is basically the same shape and has same amount of side poles as the Coleman instant 2 room tent, it also has 2 rooms. The walls are very straight up and there is tons of headroom in ceiling.

Posted on Jun 1, 2011 1:18:06 AM PDT
We purchased the Instant Tent (9 person) & just used it for the three day Memorial Day weekend. We had no problems with moisture, but we did not have heavy rain either.

I really, really like the ease with which the Instant Tent goes up & down. It definitely is not complicated; it's so simple you wouldn't believe, on both the setup and the takedown.

One thing we really liked is that while the footprint of the Instant Tent was smaller than that of our large dome tent, the tent itself feels roomier, since there is about 6' headroom regardless of where you are in the tent.

Are there any specific questions you have about it?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2011 5:31:05 AM PDT
D. R. Kiska says:
Well I read that it dosn't have a rain fly, is that true? We will be camping in Yellowstone in September so I need something really dependable. The one I used last year had a wind and rain problem, not doing that again believe me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2011 5:36:15 AM PDT
D. R. Kiska says:
Thanks for your iinput, going to look at the Cougar Flats in person at this big camping store, it has a huge tent display. I really like the idea of leaving the windows open.

Posted on Jun 1, 2011 12:13:38 PM PDT
ChiTownTink says:
I love my instant Coleman. I have the 8 person and its huge. It was so easy to put up and take down it actually took 90 seconds, we didn't believe it would be that easy. We had never put up a tent before :) We had thunderstorms like you can't believe and it leaked ever so small, little drops here and there, but nothing bad.

Posted on Jun 4, 2011 4:12:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 4, 2011 4:13:25 PM PDT
I just purchased a Eureka Copper Canyon tent and have mixed feelings. It is a nice large straight sided tent. It has large screened windows (which we need for camping in hot weather). My main concern is that it is a heavy tent due to the steel poles- it is heavier than indicated by shipping weight, about 32 pounds. We will be taking it on the plane so I am not happy with the weight. We set it up and it was just okay, I am sure it will be easier to set up with practice. I am now noticing the Coleman instatent and it looks better except for the fact that with no rain fly the windows will have to be up in a rain. Does any one know what the insta tent weighs? It looks like it might be heavy as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2011 6:08:18 PM PDT
ChiTownTink says:
It is very heavy as well, about 35 pounds. However, we drive to our sites so it's fine for us. The ease of set up/take down is worth all the other small items.

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 8:55:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 21, 2011 8:10:37 PM PDT
Hi All,
I need a tent for 4/5 persons. I will do the camp at PA in fall. I am thinking to buy Eureka! Sunrise 8 - Tent (sleeps 4). Is that good for rain? Please let me know if you recommend this or if you have any other suggestion. What is best arrangement for sleeping inside the tent during rain/cold? Need some ideas about the camp pad too.

Posted on Jul 24, 2011 4:46:32 PM PDT
Wildcat Fan says:
We have the Coleman instant tent for 2 years and are looking to replace with an REI or similar tent for 6 persons. The Coleman doesn't come with a rain fly so we rig a tarp over the tent in rainy weather. Last year we had a rain storm and had water in the tent even though we had used the tarp. Without the rain fly, you are setting yourself for a wet experience. Our friends also had Coleman instant tent and returned after one trip as they had significant water in their tent. They went with an REI tent and have been happy (and dry) ever since. We are looking at coming to our senses, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2011 7:09:28 PM PDT
Huh. We just returned from a five day trip with rain varying from sprinkles to crazy lightning, thunder & heavy rain. We seriously didn't have a drop inside, not even from condensation. The walls also didn't do that thing where if you touch them and they're wet, water comes through. We were quite pleased. And of course, the ease of setup/breakdown, especially in rain, can't be discounted.

As for windows being closed during the rain, we were able to keep ours open a tad due to the overlap of the outside window flaps in all but the heaviest rain.

I wonder if there is a difference among the various Instant Tents? It's odd that we've had such a different experience. Then again, I usually only post a review of a product if it's negative (bad, I know). Perhaps others are doing the same.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2011 12:40:32 PM PDT
Keep in mind that when the tent manufacturers specify how many people a tent sleeps, they rarely use the word "comfortably" - they base sleeping space on 20 inches per person.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2011 7:30:33 PM PDT
Wayne says:
Rarely? You mean they sometimes do? I would think they could get sued for that. "My client was uncomfortable and you never warned him that a big pointy rock under the tent could hurt him."

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 7:08:06 AM PDT
D. R. Kiska says:
Thanks everyone for giving input . I bought a Coleman elite montana 8 person. I think I'm going to be comfortable in it. Has enough windows and I can leave them open if it rains. I'm claustraphobic, been having a hard time for several years with tents that have no real ventilation. Thanks again for your time, wish me luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2011 5:01:39 PM PDT
John Belzel says:
Hi bought a Colman 11 by 11 Tent, I believe its the same tent. Question is this senior(74) wants to know,Is how is water replant on tent. Or should I spray the tent before using. it been more then 50+yrs since last camping trip,Remember old tents being very heavy because of waterproofing.Will spraying do the same.?
Thank You Johnnyboy

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2011 6:42:16 PM PDT
Hi John,

We were really concerned about it but opted against it, as we weren't sure whether it would affect the material. Even though we were in quite the rainstorm, our tent didn't leak a single drop.

I hope that helps.

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 7:39:49 PM PDT
pam washnock says:
Well watch out for the L.L. Bean sales. Just bought a tent for this coming weekend, 8 person. L.L. Bean posted an internet sales price, charged me, then 5 days later decided they didn't like the sale they placed so they called me and told me they couldn't honor their price. I guess they will refund me when they get the time. Don't go L.L. Bean! Any good ideas on a 4 season tent? Thanks for the posts, gotta get a tent soon!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011 2:40:04 PM PDT
John Belzel says:
Thank you for feed back John.
Just that I heard so many things about tents leaking. Will do the seams, When we have dry run in back yard. Not a cheap tent, So maybe its water replant. We hope to go out when kids go back to school. Need the peace.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 7:16:17 AM PST
Lindsay Wall says:
Does anyone know the difference between the Coleman 14x10 Foot 8 Person Instant Tent and Target's Coleman® 9-Person Instant Tent? http://www.target.com/p/coleman-9-person-instant-tent/-/A-13186698#prodSlot=medium_1_3&term=coleman instant tent. They're pretty close in price and I can see they're different colors, but is one better than the other??
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Camping forum (110 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Camping forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  May 31, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions