Customer Discussions > Camping forum

Camping/Hiking Trip

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 10, 2010 3:23:05 PM PDT
D. Gibson says:
I am starting to plan a hiking trip to complete the John Muir Trail. This is a 220 mile long trail in the Sierra Nevadas. I plan on spending about 10-14 days on the trail. For someone who is wanting to go relatively cheap, are there any suggestions for a two person tent and sleeping bags.
Your reply to D. Gibson's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2010 2:41:31 PM PDT
My only suggestion would be to not go cheap. :)

Posted on Oct 11, 2010 8:09:30 PM PDT
Seconded. :)
For high alpine camping you'll need (or at least I would need) a nice warm sleeping bag. I've frozen my butt off in that area several times in the middle of high summer. Someone's very good advice on some of the other "what gear..." posts was to add 10 degrees to the temperature rating of any sleeping bag under $200. I'd look up the average lows and the record lows of the area and buy a bag that can handle something between the two. A good sleeping bag is something that will last for years and can make or break a trip. Since you will be on a long trip, you won't have (or won't want to take) the option of wimping out and checking out early because you're cold.
As for the tent, I'd get a good sturdy dome tent. My parents have the older model of the REI Half Dome and like it very much. The current model ( http://www.rei.com/product/794294 ) gets some mixed reviews though.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Camping forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Oct 10, 2010
Latest post:  Oct 11, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions