Customer Discussions > Camping forum

Buying a backpack

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 3, 2012 10:56:19 PM PDT
I'm buying my first camping/hiking backpack. I know I want to keep it below 5 lbs and want an internal frame, but that's about as much as I know. I'm looking for a weekender pack (something for maybe 2-3 nights tops). I get lost when they start throwing out numbers and liters with packs. Any help is appreciated.

Posted on May 4, 2012 3:41:51 PM PDT
A. Stiles says:
You also need to tell us how much you're willing to spend you can spend big bucks for Kelty and other brands or spend no money on Cus Cus stuff but with each dollar you spend the more happy you will be, generally. But if you're not really gonna use it alot buy a Cus cus or coos coos i forget what it is but they only cost 35 dollars which is way cheaper than the 200 to 300 or more you will spend on a real quality pack. That way you can spend more on your trip.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 6:30:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2012 6:30:43 PM PDT
Peggy A. says:
Yep, it's CusCus. CUSCUS 6200ci Internal Frame Backpack Hiking Camp Travel Bag Navy

Posted on May 17, 2012 9:22:28 PM PDT
C. Holbrook says:
I recently started backpacking also and ordered the teton sport 4000. It is an internal frame and is a pretty good quality pack. I only paid $65.00 and am really happy with the pack. I usually only go for 1 to 2 nights and have plenty of room in my pack.

Posted on May 18, 2012 7:08:01 PM PDT
I would start with an inexpensive pack until you get comfortable with your style of trips and packing method. After you have established your specific needs as an experienced backpacker, I would then upgrade to a better pack. By that point you will know what sort of gear you are looking for, and you will have the skill set to properly care for high end equipment.

Posted on May 19, 2012 12:20:49 PM PDT
There are several things to consider. 3 days hiking in winter weather requires different equipment than 3 days in warmer weather. The kind of hiking you do will dictate the type of gear you need. There are a lot of good sales right now for backpacking and camping gear but the best thing to do would be to go to a place like REI and look at what they have and ask questions and they will steer towards what you may need. I mention REI because everytime I have gone to one the staff is knowledgeable and they don't mind measuring you up, putting weights in backpack so you know how it feels on, etc.

Posted on May 24, 2012 11:11:03 AM PDT
Sarah K-C says:
I need a good, lightweight (~3lb.), women's backpack between 38 - 54 liters or 2,300 - 3,500 cubic inches. It will be for hiking the alps for a month. I was pointed towards the Gregory jade 60 but what other brands/models are comparable?

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 11:21:30 AM PDT
N. Dormer says:
I have the Gregory Jade 60 and it's a good pack, but if you want something a little lighter/smaller, you can try a Circuit pack from a local US company called Ultralight Adventure Equipment http://www.ula-equipment.com/circuit.asp

Posted on May 24, 2012 1:42:53 PM PDT
I personally happen to really like osprey packs, but most internal frames should be about equal. I can comfortably fit my gear into an sumps Atmos50. Unless you are going on an extended trip, or decide to pack everything but the kitchen sink, a 50/60 liter pack should be plenty of room. For shorter trips a smaller pack would also work.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 8:37:41 PM PDT
I wait tables by day--we'll just say I'm a girl on a budget

Posted on May 25, 2012 6:14:19 PM PDT
REI.com is having a good sale on some packs, check out the Osprey Atmos and Osprey Exos!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 7:14:32 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
GoLite Jam 50. As I recall you can order two or three different torso lengths. Super light. However, also very few pockets and compartments. It would be considered ultra light by those who hike that way. I think GoLite has a sale now which, for a change, makes them cheaper than their own dealers. $80.00
http://www.golite.com/Jam-50L-Pack-Unisex-P46812.aspx

Jonathan

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 12:29:34 PM PDT
Jessica, 50-60 liters is about right. For two to three nights, even a 50 will work fine. Expect to pay around $45-50 even for a cheap but decent pack, so if you find a good to great pack for around the same cost, snag it. I make the last statement as a check on amazon has a Teton half price for around $57. (Teton Sports Scout 3400, 55L)

Within a limited budget, ultra-light backpacking is not really an option. To give you an idea of cost, for every pound of total pack less than 20-25 pounds, you can expect to spend around $20 per pound. or more.

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 10:33:58 AM PDT
So did you wind up finding something that worked for you?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Camping forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  May 3, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 27, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions