Customer Discussions > Camping forum

Looking for a Camping Kitchen Organizer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-46 of 46 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 5, 2010 7:52:00 AM PST
Fish Gal says:
We use a Rubbermaid Action Packer for cooking gear and blue Rubbermaid tubs for food and paper goods. We store the tub with food at night in our car. Works for our family. We have a GSI Outdoors Camp Gourmet Kitchen and from the pictures I posted you can see the tubs we use. We unpack as soon as the kitchen is set-up at camp. If you camp fairly often, you know what fits where and it's nice that even if it rains, everything stays dry.

Posted on Jan 5, 2010 12:02:15 PM PST
Mary says:
I also have a campmate that I am looking to sell. I am in Ohio.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2010 1:12:01 PM PST
David says:
Mary,

I am interested.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2010 1:14:02 PM PST
David says:
Mary,

I am interested.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2010 8:04:42 PM PST
R. Paul says:
I second the ideas posted by S. Fossett. Target is the place to go. A 4 drawer unit with a couple slimmer drawers for silverware, utensils, spices, dish towels, dish soap and smaller items with the larger drawers used for pots and pans, paper plates/cups/paper towels, cookie sheets camp stove and fuel, etc. would take care of a lot of it. If you want to be even better organized, buy smaller plastic trays and fit them inside the slimmer drawers. You can mix and match them while at Target to find the sizes that work. Take it all home and start organizing your stuff. Leave the stickers on the items and if they don't work, take them back.

This is a cheap, easy and lightweight solution.

If you only have non-edible items in the unit, you could leave it out at the campsite. Anything edible should be kept in your vehicle, esp. in areas frequented by bears.

Posted on Jan 18, 2010 6:14:03 PM PST
L. Neutel says:
I second blueskykitchens!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2010 5:03:59 AM PST
I love to camp I should say we (me and the wifey) try the cabella,s camp kitchen go to their site I just bought one and the pantrys are real! they will hold pots, pans, canned goods etc. check it out you won,t be disappointed...I'm not

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2010 7:34:55 PM PDT
Scott says:
do you still have your campmate kitchen?

Posted on Jul 20, 2010 4:02:55 PM PDT
If you keep all the containers/kitchens in your van, where do you pack your tent, etc.? I have a Jeep Cherokee and I haven't tried packing it yet.

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 5:38:28 PM PDT
Kay Jennings says:
Go to http://www.drifta.com.au/index.php. Its in Australia but I used this site to get some ideas and built my own.

Posted on Aug 25, 2010 8:48:41 PM PDT
Russ says: I pack into the high country with horses and panniers. I had the same problem with having to rummage through the panniers to find anything and it always seemed to be on the bottom. To solve the problem, I invented and patented the product mentioned earlier called the "Creek Company Camp Organizer". We sell it through a number of retailers including Cabela's. It can be hung from a tree or on the side of your trailer. It collapses down to a size that fits into my panniers then when we arrive a camp, it expands out to hold all your camping needs. I tested it by filling it with 12 packs of soda and beer and it held it just fine.
Every hunter that we pack in ends up buying one after the hunt.

Posted on Aug 27, 2010 7:42:13 AM PDT
K. Simpson says:
Camp Chef outdoor kitchen cookware storage chuck box

Posted on May 31, 2011 12:26:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 4, 2011 10:11:34 AM PDT
I use something similar to "Iris Medium Stacks-Up Stackable Drawers" - I use 6 of them. The advantage of separate drawers verses the kind that is 3 high is that I can take 1 box with me if I choose to cook indoors or outdoors. I also can configure them however I want (2 of them on each side of our bed for "night stand" - 4 configured together w/large glass cutting board on top for additional cook preparation area, etc.) The drawers are small enough that I can easily get to what I want, and they stack nicely for storage. I have a separate one for bathroom supplies, kitchen supplies, game/toys, misc gear, etc. They really help me stay organized. I use a larger separate plastic storage box for food items so I can lock it in the car to protect from "critters".

I have also recently bought the Coleman Packaway Deluxe Camp Kitchen and I bet I can get at least 2 drawers to sit on the wire shelf under the sink area so looking forward to that improvement also. Waiting for Amazon to deliver my new "toy" so I can play with it haha.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2011 7:21:32 PM PDT
I know this is a late reply but here's what we do. We use 3 drawer organizers like the Sterlite 3 drawer medium cart. So far the raccoons and squirrels have not figured out how to get into them. We have 5 of the 3 drawer organizers . Some of these stay in the travel trailer and others are brought back into the house after each trip. Those that come back in the house contain the staples like flour, sugar,spices, bread and chips. Those that stay in the travel trailer contain plates, cups, utensils etc. We line them up on a 6 foot lifetime table. Works like your cabinets and the table serves as a counter top for food prep.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 8:58:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2012 9:11:44 AM PDT
I have a campmate chuck box for sale in the ozark MO area. It is posted on Craigslist, check Springfield MO, if you are interested.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 4:33:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2012 4:34:13 PM PDT
E. C. Bowen says:
Yes Blue Sky Kitchens makes great chuck boxes. I have the Grubby One and it holds my utensils, plates, cups, coffee pot, coffee, spatulas, spices, etc. Ken at BlueSky has great stuff - you can buy the plans or buy it ready to use.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 12:46:38 PM PDT
vandycommer says:
only problem with the patrol box is it is really heavy. may want to incorporate a two wheeler into the design or something so you don't have to carry it much. Good luck !

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 1:42:12 AM PDT
I'm fairly new at camping and getting organized, but I'm happy with the system I have going now after 2 big family camping trips. For the small kitchen stuff, I just got a plastic 3 drawer rolling organizer with drawers about the size of shoeboxes for $12 at Walmart (so smaller than the previous post's suggestion and cheaper).

I have the drawers organized as follows: 1-sharps, openers, small skewers and pot holders, 2-lighting (lights, matches, aim a flames), 3-cooking utensils. I also did not install the wheels. I just set the drawers on the picnic bench near our stove for easy access for the cook. Our teen could manage it for packing so I consider it more practical than the larger unit.

For the bulkier kitchen items, I use a large Rubbermaid tote. I do have the plates, cups and cloth napkins in a stuff sack in the bigger box. Would be nice to have a container for them as they are high use items. All dishwashing stuff is in 2 small tubs that nest. All pots and pans nest with a couple mixing bowls.

Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:04:06 AM PST
J. Collier says:
Did you sell your chuck box?

Posted on May 29, 2014 6:13:13 AM PDT
Pat Gilbert says:
Camp Chef Sherpa Table

I picked one of these up recently to replace some of my rubbermaid tubs. We rv camp but I cook outside most of the time even at home and this will hold most everything I need for food prep and cooking for my needs. I wont be putting bowls,plates, or flatware in it, though. Those items are easier for me to stow stacked in a well fitting container I picked up at dollar store. I also wont be putting my cast iron in this. But it holds every thing else very well, including spices(in ziplock bags). Has the added convenient aluminum top that I can cook on with my stove or hotplate without worrying about the heat. Two sturdy carry handles help get it out of van and legs slide to transport. This isnt the only container I use for cooking acruments, but like I mentioned, I cook outdoors more than most, and I do alot of dutch oven cooking and smoking. If I were going camping and cooking bacon, eggs, beans, burgers, taters and most other standard camping food the sherpa table would be fine for me without the other containers I usually carry.
Hope this helps, and happy camping!

Posted on Feb 8, 2015 12:23:12 PM PST
So does anybody know of a used campnate for sale?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Camping forum (108 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Camping forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  46
Initial post:  May 26, 2009
Latest post:  Feb 8, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions