Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Camping forum

Camping without campsites

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 52 posts in this discussion
Posted on Mar 20, 2010 11:56:04 PM PDT
freakna says:
urbin stealth camping? we just called it squating. im one of them types altho i prefer to follow the tree's. most of my friends hop frieght trains & squat where ever. 2 rules, everthing must fit in ur pack & avoid being seen. for my setup i use a cfp-90 pack, mcnett aquamira water filter, midland xt511, us army modular sleeping bag system, gator machete, small outfitter medical kit, scout back pack tent wich is small, cheap & easy to hide. colman multi fuel stove & a mess kit. all can be found on amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2010 12:50:18 AM PDT
Geez whop are you dumb!
Here is the free camping!

Wal Mart and 24 hours stores Parking lot. An interior Cover or tinted windows cover all sleeping people from view.
Side streets: The $25 car or truck cover turns your vehicle into an instant camper.
Carry two pieces of heavy board or metal plate to cross ditches. Drive off the road, cross ditch, and park out of sight. A camo car or truck cover.
A Werewolf Erdbunker.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2010 9:36:41 AM PDT
well, maybe you should go back to the fatherland. Bet you own property!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2010 8:59:41 PM PDT
freakna says:
ha! this year i went to one of these, look/dont touch, stay on path camp site. it was like a prison camp. it was not camping. bunch of city folk giving me odd looks & rangers waiting to hand out tickets. just bizzar, almost got a ticket for eating rattle snake. im a mountain boy, thats what we eat! now theyre trying to invade my neck of the woods. sigh... real camping=no roads, torlets, powered anything, no tents unless its winter & u eat what u kill. simple right?

Posted on Jul 24, 2010 5:32:37 AM PDT
G-money says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2010 2:48:14 PM PDT
LCA says:
If they all came out of the cities without being "regulated" the wilderness would be a huge trash can with ruination everywhere. Let 'em leave no trace and do what you do ; )

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2010 4:04:16 PM PDT
freakna says:
lca is right about the trash but why do city folk throw trash every where? for 23 years the nor cal folks camped at the same spot. never did u see trash on the ground. last 3 yrs a flood of sou cal came up & now trash every where. whats worst we have a natural medow. we never had to tell anyone, dont drive in it. last time some jerk took his quad throw it. messed it up bad. we stopped him & he was from LA. go fig! he even threaten us with a gun. we had guns to but we didnt pull them out. show some respect!

Posted on Aug 30, 2010 4:27:23 PM PDT
freakna says:
sorry about multi post. on mobile. theres a lot i dont under stand about city folk & i hate to be a hater but its hard not to, like when they say. i love how clean the river is. then they throw a bottle in it & then look confused when u ask wtf is wrong with u! or when they say how they love how many tree's we have, then they chop down all the trees & cover the ground in cement for some giant house. the rest of us, small cabins.why? to preserve whats around us.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2010 4:38:22 PM PDT
I totally agree with you. As a scoutmaster we teach the boys to leave it as clean or cleaner than when you came. Unfortunately a lot of " CITY FOLKS " treat the area the same as their own neighborhood.
I wish there was a universal answer to the problem, but I think as a human race we are oblivious to whats happening.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2010 8:22:03 PM PDT
and did they steal it from anyone? the truth is that you don't know. People oppress other people, that's a fact. It doesn't do anyone any good to point fingers at live people that resemble or are related to dead people that did offensive things. If you want your land back, take out a loan and buy a house, they'll nice and cheap lately!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2010 4:56:35 PM PDT
Lauri says:
Hammocks are AWESOME but I think I'd be a little scared of sleeping in one let's just say that there are bears around or your around Crater Lake and those friggin' black flies. I know a tent doesn't really provide that much safety but I think it makes you feel safer. You know? I don't like to be out in the wide open because afterall, I am made of meat and most animals eat meat and a hammock doesn't hide much! Daytime hammock, I'm all for it. Nighttime, tent or treehouse!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2010 10:18:04 AM PDT
C. Bilodeau says:
I bought a truck tent a couple years back. I love it. It sets up in the bed of my Ranger and I throw an air matress in it and sleep like baby. I love being able to drive into a secluded spot and I have no need to clear away rocks and sticks and other pointy bits. And other than tire tracks, I leave very little to no evidence behind that I was ever there.

Posted on Oct 23, 2010 11:20:16 PM PDT
Kim says:
Dispersed camping is the correct term for sleeping outside of developed campgrounds. On National Forest lands, you are almost always allowed to camp as long as you are a hundred feet from trail, stream, lake for a period of up to 14 days. As a former Forest Protection Officer, Wilderness Ranger, I never hassled anyone who followed that rule. I only became upset at lazy, dirty campers who left broken bottles and other trash, damaged resources by setting-up for too many days compacting soil and leaving scars on forest or fragile wetland areas, and built huge rock rings for unnecessary bon-fires. Leave NO Trace. There are no BLM lands in the Northeast that come to mind. BLM is primarily in charge of grazing lands, deserts and prairie grasslands. National Parks are more restrictive on dispersed camping than National Forests. National Parks and BLM are governed by Department of Interior. National Forests are regulated by Department of Agriculture for more multi-use recreational purposes.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2010 8:25:41 AM PDT
If no one owns the land how could it have been stolen?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2010 5:35:58 PM PST
Tsiri 2006 says:
Where do I get one?

Posted on Nov 8, 2010 2:05:19 AM PST
M. B. Bucher says:
I can own land, but that's because I'm not a penniless hippy.

As others have said, shoot for state and federal lands for camping. Land owned by the National Forestry Service and BLM tends to be much cheaper(in many cases free) than the National or State Parks. State "Wildlife Management Areas" tend to be free as well, just make sure you wear blaze orange. While large mammal hunting has a limited season, small game tends ot be year around(even if there are gaps in the year where hunting is not permitted).

For all your car camping needs, try http://www.recreation.gov. It includes sites on federal lands that generally fly under the radar of most people, such as the Army Corps of Engineers.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2010 7:47:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2010 7:51:32 AM PST
CDaniels says:
There isn't much BLM or National Forestry land in New England, besides the White Mountains. In much of southern NE, forests/wilderness land is "second growth," land that was cleared for farming then later abandoned. In my limited experience, camping in New England is very different than out West. There are fewer firepits, and much more restrictions on fires. Hunting season is never year round. Even camping at Walmarts is different, because they tend not to be open 24-hours.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2011 9:41:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 2, 2011 9:43:42 AM PDT
If no one owns the land now how did the "indigenous americans" own it in the first place for it to be stolen?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2011 2:37:11 PM PDT
Shawn Clark says:
dont anywhere, i dont know about up there but i know people around my area will shoot at you so imo its stupid to even think about doing.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2011 2:38:29 PM PDT
Shawn Clark says:
if your serious about this which i wouldn't be you had better leave the land EXACTLY as you saw it, IE no open fire, taking your waste with you not digging holes, cutting down trees or anything.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2011 9:03:40 AM PDT
With all do respect. You would not want to be a squatter in my neck of the woods. I cannot speak for everyone, but it could be really dangerous to just squat on any land without permission. Unless you're just a stealthy ninja and cannot be heard or seen, then I wouldn't do it for your own safety from weird land owners with guns like me. Urban? I guess you can under the nearest bridge. Haven't seen too many people do it in someones yard in metroplitan cities. Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2011 10:37:23 PM PDT
Excalibvr says:
"The eyes of a Ranger are upon you..."

Posted on Sep 5, 2011 12:16:16 AM PDT
This should be required reading in all schools:
http://camping.about.com/od/campingadviceandtips/a/dispersedcamping.htm

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2011 12:48:54 AM PDT
Vagabond says:
I agree. I own a Clark Jungle Hammock and absolutely will NEVER sleep on the ground again. Also, if there are a lack of trees you can use some hammocks as a bivy...... last resort of course!

Posted on Sep 10, 2011 10:41:41 PM PDT
Rave On says:
Things have not changed so much since 40 years ago when roadside camping was more common.

Just ask the nearest house if you can camp on the land. If they don't own the land, many will allow you to camp on their front lawns. People are nice.

The other method is to do what is called stealth camping. Pick spots that are not easliy seen. Do NOT have fires except for your camp stove. Be quite and polite about it. Enter at night and leave in the morning. Harm nothing. Leave no trace. Remember that everything in the world is borrowed anyway.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Camping forum (110 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Camping forum
Participants:  43
Total posts:  52
Initial post:  Jun 5, 2009
Latest post:  Apr 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions