Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Camping forum

luxury tenting

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 112 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 14, 2011 3:21:54 PM PDT
S. L. says:
Love the camping ideas on this forum. I did research cabins but around here you have to stay an entire week (in season) and it is not cheap! Are any of these tents and screen rooms so easy to put up that one small uncoordinated person could do it herself?

Posted on Jun 14, 2011 10:00:44 PM PDT
I bought a vintage Airstream. It is gutted and one day I will renovate. For now, it is a "tin tent". Works for us! A gutted vintage Airstream is light and can be easily towed. We take it to the beach frequently.

To each their own!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2011 6:22:29 PM PDT
canoeman says:
Amen.
To each their own.
CAMP ON!!!

Posted on Jun 16, 2011 12:56:26 PM PDT
I've done it all. Slept on the ground, in a hammock, in a tent, in a cabin and in a RV. Even though I still own the RV I prefer to go light. Whatever you carry in. I realized camping in a RV wasn't really camping. I might as well been in hotel room. Sure it got you closer to nature but don't call it camping because it's not. If you like the RV than great. Enjoy. But it's not camping.

3 weeks ago we were out camping here in Florida. It was hot. Too hot for tent. So I slept in a hammock strung up to a tree all night. Slept better than on the ground and cooler to boot. The RV is for sale.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2011 4:29:32 PM PDT
thanks for the great pointers! My husband and I have had it in mind to do some SCA camping for years but somehow have not yet pulled it off. :-) Someday...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2011 5:08:43 PM PDT
I love the sounds of nature surrounding me - but I must confess, I take foam ear plugs to help me sleep through the dawn chirpy birds. :-D

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2011 5:10:47 PM PDT
What fun! We used to have an airstream when I was a kid. Never thought of using one with no guts. Clever...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2011 7:57:27 PM PDT
We just had the best weekend in the airstream....the kids had a sleepover with friends both nights. We put in a tv/dvd player, speakers that they hook up to their ipods. I bought some fun turquoise storage cubes that double as seats. So, it's like an extra hang out room and then they move things aside and sleep on pads with sleeping bags. LOVE IT!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2011 11:27:28 AM PDT
Like what you say! Have the same tent. We are looking forward to luxury camping. I too have done both, RV's too. Our plan is to camp ABOVE 3,500 ft in summer, any camping in winter will be in warmer southern climate. And we have decided to let the world know we are luxury camping and put up a sign at our site saying "BOARDWALK AND PARKPLACE"...might as well make light of it all! ...Presently looking at the camp shower enclosures here on Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2011 11:31:51 AM PDT
oh goodness. It's not all black and white! We all camp the way we want, that's how it is and probably what makes doing it enjoyable.

Posted on Jun 26, 2011 4:30:30 AM PDT
Different strokes for different folks, come the way you want to. You want to be a hard core camper fine you won't even have a tent. I perfer to have a tent myself. I have a few friends whom have a little more money then myself and have a RV that spits out gas like it's going out of style, but hey they are happy and that's what counts when it comes to camping. Myself I'm pretty squeeky when it comes to money so I'll stay with the tent for now, thats where I happy for now. LOL

Posted on Jun 28, 2011 9:35:18 AM PDT
I agree with Riverwild. I'm not a Maine Guide or anything, but I did a whole lot of camping for a number of years, including 2 summers that I did 2 month long camping trips. I was a firm believer that if you couldn't carry it, you shouldn't bring it. But now I'm in my mid-thirties, and while I still love camping, it's a bit different. I still camp at State Parks (which at around $20 a week is a WHOLE lot cheaper than any cabin situation), but it's in the big tent with a raised queen airbed; a screenhouse for my folding table, chairs, and grill; and a bunch of other little goodies that just make life easier and more comfortable. No TV or A/C or anything, and I still don't camp at sites with electricity or running water/bathrooms, but definitely way more than I could ever lug in more than a couple of hundred feet.

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 7:03:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2011 7:06:24 PM PDT
Captain says:
You never have to forego electricity if you have a dc to ac inverter. This one handles my small microwave (700w) and coffee maker (800w) and I like it better than the 800w inverter because it has a gauge which tells you the draw in watts and your battery's voltage and has an auto-off for low battery but if you run your engine while using it that is never a concern. I run the extension cord from the inverter into my tent. Clamps to battery posts, works great:

Cobra CPI1000 1000W 12V DC to 120V AC Power Inverter with USB Port

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2011 1:10:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 1, 2011 1:13:27 PM PDT
only problem with that suggestion (of bringing a little pool) is the issue of trying to carry enough water to fill it, better option to camp near a lake and just enjoy the water that way :)

Posted on Jul 19, 2011 7:58:13 AM PDT
Thanks to many of you posters. We are an older couple that do not wish to haul pop-ups or trailers...and yes, to each their own. I've been researching for the past couple of months on how to pull off "comfortable camping" and this blog has been extremely helpful. Thanks again, and when we senior citizens get to camping I'll post anything that we discovered, that might be helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2011 8:57:36 AM PDT
Yes, G. Nichols--that would be interesting to know what you have discovered!!
Especially what might be different for a senior as opposed to a younger person.

Posted on Jul 19, 2011 4:09:51 PM PDT
J. Dubs says:
I can understand the huge tent and some of the amenities - even the AC could be nice for families with kids or for more "veteran" campers who'd be uncomfortable with the heat or humidity. But seriously, HDTV/DVDs?? Different strokes, I guess - I just can't imagine traveling hundreds of miles out into a forest or the mountains only to pop in an episode of Mad Men; that's missing the point, to me. But hey, I give you credit for at least getting outdoors for recreation in nature. That's what's important; we can quibble about the logistics and the amenities (and I find I don't mind my amenities as I get older) but we agree on that, for sure.

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 11:28:49 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 1, 2011 7:56:02 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2011 6:09:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 7, 2011 5:57:09 AM PDT
Coleman Red Canyon 17-Foot by 10-Foot 8-Person Modified Dome TentReliance Products Aqua-Pak 2.5 Gallon Rigid Water ContainerFolding Bedside Commode SeatHigh-Grade Foldable Hammock (Blue) Folding Hammock with Carrying BagPrivacy Pop Up Portable Tent - GreenMagna Cart Ideal Hand TruckByer of Maine Easy CotStearns SunShower 5.0 with 4-5 showers (Capacity- 5 gallons)In my quest, "comfort camping for seniors", I've purchased: Coleman Red Canyon 17'x10' 8 person Modified Dome Tent. There are only 2 of us, but we want room to store gear and stand up straight in the tent. There were other tents with straighter walls but taking New England weather into consideration, wanted weather protection. It's easy to put up...and...we will not be camping in winter, so this tent suits our needs. Have since purchased water protection sealant for rain fly and tent seams. Purchased 2.5 gallon rigid water containers...2 of them. 5 gallons is a lot to haul, 2.5 made more sense for us...one at a time. A Folding Bedside Commode Seat was added. We will use biodegradable bags with it... and am waiting for the Privacy PopUp Portable Tent to get back in stock. It will house the commode. Byer of Main Easy Cots is next to purchase. I've already bought foam pads for the top of the cots. If we don't like the condition of the camp showers we have a Sterns SunShower. The item I'm most looking forward to buying is the Foldable Hammock w/ Carrying Bag. To help haul the stuff (do plan on going to camping sites where you can pull your car in close to the site) also purchased a Magna Cart Personal Hand Truck. That's it so far. We are waiting for the kids to get back in school....then we will be able to go to campgrounds and not worry about getting a lakeside site, or crowds in general. We like kids, but again...looking for serene comfort. You get that way at 70 and 63 :) On my wish list is also the Coleman 10x10 Instant Screened Shelter.....this is fun! Will keep you posted. Also feel the need to restate....to each their own.

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 1:26:02 PM PDT
I used to say about those who took more than a very small tent and sleeping bags, "What's the point in camping?"

But things change.

First, a big point for us of camping is having a big family get-together where no one family has the work of hosting. As some of the families began having babies, canoeing all our gear out to an island became less practical. We pretty much had to switch to car camping with a bunch of babies and toddlers underfoot.

Second, I became disabled about 4 years ago. Sleeping on the ground doesn't work anymore - so we have a double-height air mattress. To manage all my medications, while keeping children out, we need a 2-room tent - else we have to have a separate dining tent, in addition to the "real" ones acting as a kitchen and dining room for the group.

Where we go, an RV can't go, really a car can barely get there - as we do like to be really out there. So we have pretty nice gear compared to what we used a decade ago, which was a tent you had to crawl into and a couple sleeping bags.

We don't do air conditioning, but we do bring an alternator in the car... both for an electric cooler (my insulins can't depend on the ice not melting for a week) and for the air mattress pump.

I'm actively trying to talk hubby into an RV, not that I won't still want top do tent camping where the RV can't go, but... well, with me disabled, he has to do all the packing and unpacking... and an RV can stay packed, so we'd be able to camp more often.

While I miss backpacking and canoe camping, I can't say the sleeping on the ground bit is what I miss...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2011 4:35:12 PM PDT
Jacqueline, sounds as if you have a good reason, and a good plan to camp with comfort. An RV would be nice but we are retired and on a fixed income. Just with the cost of gas alone, it's not feasible for us. Hope you and your family have many happy camping experiences.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2011 11:16:11 PM PDT
Brian Morris says:
Scott, you're doing it the HARD way.
Check this story. Couch-surf your way across America!
(ASIN: B005DF6GHS)
Ten dollars a day is great travelling in USA.
Riverlaw

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2011 12:41:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 8, 2011 12:47:55 PM PDT
Coleman 6-Person Instant Tent
Yes, there is a way for small person to put up a tent in no time. check the link above, these tents are awesome and so are the instant shelters. I bought the instant 8 man for $219 and its the best thing I could have done this summer. It made me want to go camping, and I havnt in years. The ease of setting up the tent and the shelter was a blessing. If you enjoy tent camping this is the way to go!

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 11:25:49 AM PDT
Tanda says:
Luxury tenting! I'm so glad I found this forum. I'm typing this on my netbook, in our dining screenhouse, located between our kitchen screenhouse and our Coleman tent. I was browsing the web looking for a few more things to make our next camping trip even more comfy. No envy of the behemoth motor homes and travel trailers that pull in and out in this campground. No matter what we spend on little creature comforts for our tent set-up, it won't come close to the cost of just their gasoline.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2011 5:01:27 PM PDT
I just purchased 2 solar night lights......and am in the process of sewing bed sheets that will incase the cot foam pads. Will leave one end open w/ velcro so they can be easily removed for washing. We converted to electric blankets at home but I saved the down comforter, with a duvet cover....it folds up nicely for packing, and will be well appreciated when camping in September and October.....taking the down pillows too....and purchased a small propane heater here on Amazon......luxury and warmth..... :)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Camping forum (110 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Camping forum
Participants:  60
Total posts:  112
Initial post:  Jan 14, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions