Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Camping forum

luxury tenting

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 112 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2011 5:26:54 PM PDT
early Bird says:
I bought a 1969 Shasta 1500 model. Been great on camping trips. Did not equip it with anything but a porta potti. Easy to tow and comfortable with dinette and sofa. Really nice original stove/oven. Great little campers. Mine is only 13' long which looks soooo small next to modern RVs. Enjoy.

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 10:09:53 AM PDT
Having been fed up with cost of living in an apartment, I switched to what you would call luxury tenting. My definition of luxury is not having to bend down when inside a tent.

The cost of RV operation did not appeal to me a whole lot. Besides, why settle for that limited space?

My lifestyle requirements were simple:
1. Internet - Hulu beats cable for me
2. Minimal electricity - I switched from power-hungry desktops and bulky screens to laptops
3. Showers - no one should ever suspect I live this way :)
4. Ability to stand up in my tent (at 5'11) with sufficient room for all my things and my activities
5. Enough room for my plush fabric to enjoy walking inside barefoot.

After all, what more do we really need? I live 30-60 miles from a major city so I can always go out when I want to. My lifestyle really hasn't changed all that much compared to my apartment. The rent savings are really wonderful.

I also downsized my computer equipment by getting a couple of used 17" core2duo laptops for about $300/each. Now I don't have to carry my bulky LCD screens around and the laptops are higher resolution anyway. I setup my bulky equipment in my storage unit and the color laser printer works just fine when I need to print marketing materials right then and there. My entire office fits inside my trunk, my tent and "furniture" gets in the back seat. I have a much smaller laptop for walking around. :) Oh yes, all this fits inside a tiny BMW M3 convertible. Open the roof, drop stuff in like into a truck, close the roof, move. :)

Rainy in my area? I can drive to dry land if I truly wanted to and camp there. :)

The first three items were addressed with a campground membership. It is roughly $125/mo when amortized over a year. Stay three or four days in one place, move to the one a few miles away, come back. ThousandTrails Zonepass if you are curious.

The last two were addressed by my tent. I initially considered Coleman 6-Person Instant Tent but ultimately bought Coleman Instant 14- by 10- Foot 8- Person Two Room Tent. Now why on Earth would I want something THAT big?! I dance and extend my arms upward, I jump, I prefer not to hit head at the ceiling. Yep, I have a Xbox 360 250GB Console with Kinect and Dance Central with 240 Microsoft Points in my tent. Soon to get Dance Central 2. Besides, it's a 2-in-one by that point as I get a lovely front screen room that also keeps any dirt from getting into the bedroom. I chose to spend an extra $60 to not have to buy something again later. I also confirmed that people can put this up by themselves. Lastly, it had a ton of positive reviews.

I already had a Coleman cot and a memory foam topper from long ago. It feels like a hotel bed without exaggeration. I use plastic shelving units instead of a table.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2011 6:06:30 PM PDT
Marietta says:
I have one that was probably made by the "Playhut" people.Folds flat in a bag.Awesome.Has never leaked.Would pack up great...try to find one like that.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2011 6:08:54 PM PDT
Marietta says:
The hardest part is getting the fly on the tent.I use a piece of rope and tie it to the fly and throw the rope over the tent.Then go to the other side and pull the fly up on top of the tent.Another thing is don't get a tall tent.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2011 12:08:39 PM PDT
Terri Geer says:
I have been a full-time RVer for 8 years. I love it, and would not want to go back to a "stick" house.

We started out with a 21' Class C Mobile Traveler. We lived in that, with 2 cats, for 4 years. It takes a lot of patience. ;)

We are now living in a travel trailer that was converted from a 5th wheel. It is 26' long. We pull it with a van.

Buying a used campground membership is a good idea, as well as finding out where government land (like BLM) is, and what it takes to camp there. You don't have to go far to most of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2011 12:45:08 PM PDT
Terri Geer says:
"Being able to step outside of the tent and be in the middle of the wilderness is heaven. "

You can do this in an RV, too. When we first started RVing full-time, it was amazing the wildlife we saw. One night, about 1 a.m., my SO woke me and told me to look out the window. A herd of Elk was moving outside, through the campground.

One night my SO stepped outside to smoke. There was a mama bear, and 2 cubs close enough that he could touch them mom (he didn't). She and one of the cubs were watching the 2nd cub climb the tree next to our rig.

We have seen raccoons (don't feed them, no matter HOW cute they seem!), bats, a skunk (it just walked by the rig, thank goodness!), deer, bear, elk, so many different kinds of birds and once caught a glimpse of a cougar. And this is not a complete list.

I used to tent camp when I was a teenager. Didn't like it. Sleeping on the ground is not my idea of fun. Then or now.

I grew up going to a lake that had "rustic" cabins. No indoor plumbing, you had to bring your own dishes and bedding, the campground generator was shut off every night at 10 p.m. and turned back on at 5 a.m. Motors were not, and are not, allowed on the lake, and it is in such old growth that you have to walk down to edge of the lake to see the sky. It is so clear that you can see to the bottom of the lake, in half the lake.

(Please, excuse me. I took a break to make reservations for next summer)

When we were growing up, we used to feed the deer Oreo cookies from our hands. We didn't know we weren't supposed. lol

This lake is a mile and a half long, and is the headwaters for the McKenzie River in Oregon. They have both rainbow trout and brown trout. The lake is fed by 3 springs on the north side of the lake, and it stays about 36 degrees year round. And the water is so clear that the fish see the fishing line!

Oh, yeah. lol It's called Clear Lake, and it is 17 miles south of Sisters, Oregon. There is, also, an ice cave nearby. There is a Clear Lake Resort, and there is Cold Water Cove. The cove is Federally managed.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72BTJw8jAwjQL8h2VAQAzHJMsQ!!/?navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&recid=4362&actid=&navid=110000000000000&pnavid=&ss=110618&position=&ttype=recarea&pname=Willamette%20National%20Forest%20-%20Coldwater%20Cove%20Campground

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011 6:12:37 AM PDT
Dang Terri, 36 degrees is too cold for this old lady! It does sound like a beautiful site. You are correct, "stick camping" is not for everyone, but neither is hauling an RV around. We don't sleep on the ground either, we have large sized cots with memory foam and down covers. I don't have a great dislike for RV's, although when we camp I don't want to be near one....for obvious reasons. I just think that everyone should camp in harmony, RV's on one side and tents on the other with an extra wide berth between them.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2011 2:23:36 PM PDT
Happy Lady says:
Hurray for you! I too have all this stuff (I believe you can enjoy nature many different ways, it doesn't care). Although my pile of items started as.......a 3-day emergency backpack (I live in northern CA near the Hayward/San Andreas faults) and grew. And grew. And grew. There sure are a lot of neat gadgets out there. 24 volt flat screen TVs? Propane slow cookers? Amazing.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2011 2:26:27 PM PDT
Happy Lady says:
I died laughing when I saw that big tent. A woman after my own heart! I saved the link. You better quit thinking or pretty soon you'll find yourself in the great outdoors.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2011 2:54:00 PM PDT
Happy Lady says:
Thanks for all the hints. I bought the shower item....I have one that runs on propane but you need a continuous water source (i.e. hose). It's nice because it's instant heat plus when you turn it on it is auto ignite as well. I guess you could hang a big water-holding something or other in a tall tree but your item is very handy.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2011 2:58:55 PM PDT
Happy Lady says:
Trolls need love too!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2011 2:59:47 PM PDT
Happy Lady says:
Ditto ditto ditto!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2011 3:01:01 PM PDT
Happy Lady says:
hmmmmm...a new idea! A deflatable sauna! Steam room! er.....sorry, I got carried away.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2011 3:07:37 PM PDT
Happy Lady says:
It's amazing how age brings you to your senses. Forty years ago a friend and I drove to San Francisco and BACK in a weekend -- from Albuquerque, NM. It would kill me today. They'd find my mummified body somewhere along the road. Buried in sunflower seeds. I'm all for comfort camping.

Posted on Aug 31, 2011 1:16:44 AM PDT
I just saw a TV ad for an upcoming show called "Clamping" (luxury camping) I am not kidding!
I live at Lake Tahoe at the edge of town in the woods and I occasionally put a tent up for visitors in the back yard. It really is just like camping! but there is a flush toilet , a shower , fresh ground coffee in the morning and Netflix Movies on laptops!!!( Westerns and ghost stories) So I can't criticize luxury campers!! I have also seen every type of critter in my back yard ( bears, squirrels, chipmunks, raccoons, etc !) so it is pretty outdoorsy to most people.The Jeffry Pines in my yard are over 100 ft. tall. ( i'm really not bragging I'm just so amazed at how lucky we are) I like it too, especially with young campers, Smores and ghost stories around the fire. And yes I do real camping ,too.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2011 4:00:50 PM PDT
M. Stans says:
Tracy from WI:Thank you for the hint about using the painter's drop cloth as a floor covering. What difference it made getting out of bed and getting dressed in the morning! And spills set on top of it so you can wipe them off. The child's broom we use to sweep up tracked in dirt worked like a charm on this moisture- resistant surface. It didn't get soiled on this week-long trip, so I didn't need to wash it, as I am reluctant to do in case the moisture resistance is reduced/removed. Thanks again, Marilyn

Posted on May 15, 2012 2:45:58 PM PDT
cachesoul says:
Id leave the electronics at home and have a real get away but thats just me. Your set up does sound nice.

Posted on May 16, 2012 7:30:30 AM PDT
I gifted my youngest sister who has a large family my Coleman Red Canyon. Never used so hoping they like it. In the meantime we got a Coleman Instant Up w/ScreenRoom, 10x15. We also have the large Coleman Instant Up ScreenHouse, and the best privacy shelter I could find, but I'm at a loss for the name right now. Anxious to go comfort camping and we had made reservations for next week, but had to cancel. I did not realize that in No. NH it's best not to camp between Mother's Day and Father's Day due to the large influx of black flies. Guess they are miserable little pests. Anyway....we'll be on our way as soon as the black flies give it up.

Posted on May 29, 2012 1:15:22 PM PDT
Beth Meier says:
My husband and I have a 34' Motorhome, it is now parked (gas to expensive) and we bought a 10 x 14 tent, 2 twin double air mattresses (that when put together make a King bed) we do a lot of west coast camping, so we take a long an electric heater works great for those cold mornings. We purchased a camp kitchen, portable shade ( helps keep things dry too), Colemans new propane drip coffee maker, an outdoor shower for the places that don't have a shower which works great! and sometimes a small generator. We have found that it's gotten us back to WHY we go camping in the first place ... to enjoy the great out doors which we didn't do with the Motor Home as much. Sat inside to drink coffee in the mornings now we sit outside by the fire!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 6:57:16 AM PDT
DisplacedMic says:
oh sure, but do you have a hot tub in there?
;-p

sounds like a fun set up - great job!

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 4:40:12 PM PDT
Way to go...store the RV and go car camping. We got a Keurig small sized coffee maker and if no electrical hook up then the drip method. Nothing like that first cup of coffee by the warm campfire. Enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 10:36:41 AM PDT
spookiewon says:
Again, 20 amp service "right on the rim?" I don't think so.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 4:55:50 AM PDT
who packs six deep in an aveo?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 2:57:24 PM PDT
ever heard of a generator?

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 5:00:07 PM PDT
canoeman says:
Electric Cooler
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Camping forum (110 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Camping forum
Participants:  60
Total posts:  112
Initial post:  Jan 14, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions