Customer Discussions > Camping forum

Have you tried a Cooler Shelf?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 25, 2012 8:44:51 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 9, 2013 11:29:09 AM PST]

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 6:23:00 PM PDT
Nope, everything gets juggled around anyway. I have found a good sized pack of Blue Ice at the bottom of the cooler and a pack of Blue Ice wrap around ice does great for a 3 day camping trip. No wet mess, much more room in the cooler, and the food stays cool the entire trip. Make sure the cooler stays in the shade and it stays cooler for longer.

Honestly, the fancy gizmos are not necessary. If you do not like your food getting wet from ice, then Blue Ice or lots of sandwich bags are the way to go.

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 9:39:13 AM PDT
I've also read, but to date have not tried, that placing a wet towel over the top and sides of the cooler and keeping it in the shade helps maintain the ice longer. Just purchased, from Amazon, Knack Car Camping for Everyone: A Step-by-Step Guide to Planning Your Outdoor Adventure (Knack: Make It easy). Even though we have car camped numerous times when younger, it's been awhile and we are now in our golden years:)) We have found the book to be helpful. Happy we made the purchase, and I need to get out of here and go give a rating review where it belongs!

Posted on May 8, 2012 11:54:58 AM PDT
Mavjay says:
I haven't tried a cooler shelf, but it seems unnecessary.

For camping, my alternative is to put about a dozen 24 oz. bottles of frozen water in my cooler. I get three to four days from this method, depending on the rate of consumption.

Both are consumed, food is kept cold and dry. The bigger the water bottle, then longer it will stay frozen.

Posted on May 15, 2012 7:30:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2012 7:27:32 PM PDT
I tried a cooler shelf a few times but it never seemed to work or got in the way. I know what you mean... Who wants to cook water soaked steak or hamburger? Who likes water-logged cheese? Maybe you could try rubber-maid boxes to keep that stuff out of the ice.

Posted on May 18, 2012 9:53:42 AM PDT
instead of bagged ice, pour a pint off a gallon of water and freeze the entire gallon. It will last for days and you'll have water to drink as it melts. I had two gallons last an entire week of camping with water still frozen.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 10:59:03 AM PDT
This is what we do as well. Ice lasts and when it does melt we have drinking water. We use different size plastic bottles. Some sizes are large and stay frozen longer, some smaller and ready to drink sooner.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 11:09:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 19, 2012 11:16:14 PM PDT
J.A. says:
In response to Alexandria.....This is a great tip that I had forgotten about! I remember doing this with OJ or Tang, Milk and lemonade too!

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 11:14:05 PM PDT
J.A. says:
This does work and works well. I read about this in an old prospecting book right before we did an Arizona trip years ago. They called it an evaporative cooler. It was 128 degrees. We were happy to survive that one!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Camping forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Mar 25, 2012
Latest post:  May 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions