Customer Discussions > Camping forum

Friends and Backpacking...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 1, 2010 3:32:25 PM PDT
Magic man says:
So, i am in need of help. My friends would like to take me on a 5 day backpacking trip. I have no idea what to bring and what Brands to look out for. They said it will be:
Dry
hot
plenty of wood
rivers
streams
animals.
and so much more.

Anything would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Posted on Jul 3, 2010 4:45:38 AM PDT
Are you crossing rivers etc? Or just camping by them? YOu need to know.
Sunglasses
Croakies eyeglasses holders to keep them from floating away.
sunscreen
bug spray
small first aid kit
chap stick - carmex etc
hat
MIght consider long sleeves if you will be in the sun for a long time to protect- (i realize its hot but...)
Hiking boots
socks socks socks
rivers shoes
shorts
pants
windbreaker
water container
high protein snacks - power bars or rations.
tent?
sleeping bag or similar
tp / wipes
hand sanitizer
tissues
tylenol or similar
gps or compass (learn how to use)
plastic bags - hold waste. keep boots/clothes dry when crossing water.
write down any med conditions, dr info, medications, family contacts - and keep list on your person just in case.

and a good backpack

Try to google or ask your friends. Hope that gives you an idea.

Posted on Jul 3, 2010 4:52:10 AM PDT
And do not take brand new shoes or you will probably be sorry. Should be a little broken in.

Posted on Jul 3, 2010 4:53:02 AM PDT
Waterproof matches. i forgot.

Posted on Jul 3, 2010 5:17:25 AM PDT
flashlight and extra batteries.

Posted on Jul 3, 2010 10:36:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 3, 2010 10:41:30 AM PDT
PooBear says:
Im just now getting into this outdoor stuff, but my noob list would include
digital camera, bear-bells for my pack, signal mirror and whistle, a way to make drinking water, a plan for what to do if someone gets badly hurt, and a map and hiking plan to give to someone who is not going so they can call in the troops if required.

Edit: a signal mirror can be seen for miles and is easy as pie to use- just put your 'thumbs up' on the bottom of the target and shine the mirror on your thumb, up and down.

p.s. I would also want to know the location of the closest cell phone coverage area.

Posted on Jul 6, 2010 7:53:15 PM PDT
Knowing the cell phone coverage is important before hauling your phone along. I've heard too many stories of people depending on their phone to save them only to have it not work. A watch (especially one with a crystal face) can double as a signal mirror in a pinch.
D. C.'s list is a very good start. Here's some additions:
Paper map of the area (a gps is great but if it runs out of power you are out of luck)
A PLAN (like PooBear said - this is something often forgotten and can really help when things go wrong, not that they will but just in case)
Digital Camera (good suggestion PooBear)
Water filter (this too, but your friends will probably have one of these)
Stove (friends probably have this too)
Sleeping Pad
Long sleeve shirt - get a fishing style one with lots of ventilation, they aren't too much warmer than a normal shirt and have much better sun protection
Warm coat and stocking hat - yes you said hot, but hot during the day doesn't mean hot at night
Space blanket - make an emergency packet with all your emergency supplies and an extra energy bar and carry with you, just in case (the only time I wanted mine it was back in camp)
Light weight mug
Large canteen - since you said dry area you need to carry a good bit a water with you

I've found river shoes (tevas or sandals or similar, basically what you wear when you don't want your boots to get wet) to be extra baggage on my last few trips. If you will be crossing lots of rivers it becomes a pain to change shoes every time. Last time we rock hopped or just waded barefoot.
Wearing your feet to your boots or your boots to you feet is essential. Make sure you can easily wear them all day and walk as far as your daily mileage will be. Plus start wearing them regularly well before the trip to toughen up your feet. This also goes for your pack. Put a light load (15-20 lbs) in it and wear it around and let the spots where it sits toughen up. Hit the treadmill with your boots and pack and set it on a decent hill climb (you'll get some odd looks but it is worth it). There are few things worse than your pack rubbing you raw the first day of a long trip.

Posted on Jul 6, 2010 10:08:30 PM PDT
Magic man says:
Wow, thanks for all the advise. I got a good idea. ow, By the way. do you think about 1,000 dollars is a good budget?

Posted on Jul 6, 2010 10:44:19 PM PDT
PooBear says:
1,000 should about cover it, considering no cold weather gear is required.

Posted on Jul 7, 2010 6:48:17 PM PDT
It depends on where you go shopping. :) You might also look into renting if you aren't going to be going often. I spent a lot ($300) on my current pair of boots because I wanted nice waterproof ones but you can get by in cheap work boots or tennis shoes if your feet can take it. I've seen some people headed out with far more than I carry wearing only sandals of some sort. My pack was also about $300 but you can get a perfectly decent beginner one for about $100. After that your sleeping bag and sleeping pad are probably the most expensive items (leaving out cameras and GPS since they aren't necessary). The prices for those can be all over the place depending on what you want. Frank on another post said to add 10 degrees to the rating of any inexpensive sleeping bag and that's a good rule of thumb. Also, make sure what ever bag you get fits in your pack. :) I like thermarest sleeping pads. They've got a ProLite line that rolls up really small and still sleeps nice for around $100.
Next biggest expense is clothes. Since you will be going somewhere dry and hot, cotton probably isn't an issue. Don't take cotton to somewhere cold and wet since it will NEVER dry out. Raid your closet and you'll probably find more than enough stuff.

Make your friends buy the stove, water filter and tent(s) since it is their idea. :) Having your own tent is nice but it is also heavy (unless you buy an ultralight one and those are expensive).

Posted on Aug 20, 2011 7:47:02 PM PDT
L. Anderson says:
Check out my listmainia backpacking list. Search "backpacking" and it is the 4-5th one titled Lightweight Backpacking.

Posted on Sep 3, 2011 1:41:36 AM PDT
David Laurie says:
IF your friends are experienced and long-time hikers, they will already have tents or tarps, cook sets and stoves, water filters and first aid kits, maps and compasses.

While there is plenty of good advice there, my own preferences for spending that first grand would be:

Boots
Rain jacket (unless you already have a suitable lightweight and breathable jacket already..)
Sleeping bag
Sleeping pad (you can pick up perfectly good mats for $60 or less if in the USA..)
Backpack ~ sufficient to hold all the basics, plus food and clothes (but don't fall into the trap of going too big, as that could encourage you to pack too much..).

And then if you find you enjoy the experience, and want to go again ~ THEN later on, you can worry about compasses, pocket knife or multi-tool, kitchen gear and water filter, first aid kit, and some handbooks and manuals, and the big spend on a tent, and warmer clothes and thermals for those cold weather and mountain trips..

Posted on Sep 10, 2011 10:45:42 PM PDT
Rave On says:
Ask the leader of the group what you should bring. This will avoid doubling up on gear. Most good group leaders provide each camper with a list of what to bring.

You will be responsible for carrying some of the communal gear anyway, so don't overpack and show up at the rendevous with a full pack.

PS, you will have a wonderful time.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Camping forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Jul 1, 2010
Latest post:  Sep 10, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions