Customer Discussions > Camping forum

Trying to decide between the Eureka Spitfire or Backcountry

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 14, 2012 7:24:53 AM PDT
DisplacedMic says:
Hi guys - i have been reading through this forum for a while now - so much great info!
I have been getting back into camping now that i'm an adult with my own family and it's made for some great vacations. We've got a nice 4 man tent for roughing it and a more luxurious tent for car camping but now i'm looking to start doing some solo camping so i want a 1 man.

i am looking at the Eureka tents which people seem to really like here on Amazon and the net and i'm trying to decide between the Spitfire and the Backcountry.
I was thinking Spitfire, but the added room of that backcountry might make it worth the extra cost (about $50) and poundage (about 2 lbs heavier) but I was curious if anyone had any advice?

I live and will be doing most of my camping in the Southeast USA (Central NC, blueridge mountains, app trail etc) so I don't really need the standalone feature, but it would be nice to have - what i'd really like is to be able to keep most of my gear inside the tent with me and while that certainly seems possible with the spitfire, it looks more comfortable with the backcountry.

Anyone have any experience with either or both they wouldn't mind sharing?

thanks!

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 8:56:09 AM PDT
I have owned a Eureka Backcountry 1 for about two years and an older derivative model called the Eureka Zephyr 1 for about 15 years. The advantages of this tent over the Spitfire include that the Backcountry is free standing, easier to put up and is durable. I probably spent over 500 nights in my older Zephyr and about a dozen in the Backcountry and they have always kept me dry. I've been wanting to throw the old Zephyr away since I bought the Backcountry but I can't do it. It still works and I enjoy using it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 9:35:00 AM PDT
DisplacedMic says:
Thanks Mike - exactly what I wanted to know :-)
do you use a footprint with your backcountry or do you go directly on the ground?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 10:30:53 AM PDT
I use either a small tarp or a shower curtain as a ground cloth. Much cheaper than the Eureka footprint and it will keep the bottom of the tent from getting holes or wearing out prematurely.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 12:01:43 PM PDT
DisplacedMic says:
purchased the backcountry.
thanks for your help, Mike!

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 5:03:30 PM PDT
When making your own footprint, make it slightly smaller than the base of the tent. You don't want it sticking out and catching rain and making a lake between the footprint and your tent floor. :)

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 11:03:10 AM PDT
beblebrox says:
Mike,

I have heard of people using a piece of Tyvek and cutting it to size from a home improvement store as a footprint. Its perhaps your lightest option, and considering it works with buildings, would be a good choice here here, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 11:28:01 AM PDT
DisplacedMic says:
yep!
here's a link:
http://www.backpacker.com/tent_groundcloth_tyvek/slideshows/215?position=1

you can actually buy the Tyvek here on amazon
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Camping forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Jun 14, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions