Customer Discussions > Canon forum

Remotes??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2012 2:36:27 PM PST
I currently have a Canon sx110 IS with 10x optical zoom and 9.0 megapixels. I use it to take pictures of small items for Ebay. The detail and definition are fine. But after about 50 pictures my back and neck are killing me. I have a set up to hold a camera in place. But I need one with some kind of remote to take the picture with. I never seem to be able to find that feature in the product descriptions. Does anybody know of a reasonable price camera with that feature? I don't care if it's an old fashioned clicker with a cord or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 3:08:17 PM PST
Les Schmader says:
Doesn't the camera have a 2 or 10 second time delay? Or doesn't that work for your purposes?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 3:39:59 PM PST
No, I want to leave the camera in place, move the objects underneath it, which can take up to a couple of minutes, and take the picture standing 3 feet away from the camera. Does that make sense?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 3:46:18 PM PST
Well... My decade old Canon G-2 (4MP) came with an infra-red remote... But back then, that was nearly an $800 camera (the G-12 is around $500; don't know it it has a remote).

Would it not be cheaper to change your shooting environment? "back and neck" implies an ergonomically poor set-up. Use a raised table so you aren't bending down and looking down to shoot...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 3:50:35 PM PST
Unfortunately easier said than done :-) For many reasons, I am stuck with the set-up I have

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 4:00:15 PM PST
The manual for the Canon SX110 says it can be controlled remotely from a computer (USB connection) using the supplied software.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 4:04:58 PM PST
Yes, unfortunately, the computer is in another room. And no, I can't do anything about that either :-)

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 4:52:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 4:57:41 PM PST
Les Schmader says:
OK, I get it now.

I know there are Panasonic FZ models that can use the remote cable, but I think they are only the later models like the FZ100 and up.

The Olympus EPL-1 might still be found at bargain prices and it can use the remote, as most m4/3's can, but they won't focus close like a P&S macro type.

I'm really most famiiar with the m4/3 and Panasonic. Look at the Panasonic LX5 model. It's @$300 and I "think" it can use the remote cable. And be careful with the cheap remote cables. They are pretty hit and miss for reliability in my experience. I'd get 2 or 3 if I had to rely on them.

NOTE: If you can find one, the older Panasonic G1 and G2 models have an articulating lcd that might be a real benefit for you, if the camera focuses close enough for you. That articulating lcd is fantasticc from a little Slick mini tripod for tabletop use. It's a neck saver.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 5:20:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 5:21:44 PM PST
Neo Lee says:
Good for you, Canon has it covered: http://goo.gl/VlYIl

You'll also get to have the images instantly transferred to your laptop. This is the ideal setup for many product photographers out there. The workflow is:

1. They shoot an item from different angles, tethered to a laptop.
2. Images automatically transferred to the laptop.
3. Copy the images to the product folder, or tag with the product ID for faster identification, or upload to the database.
4. Next item.

As for the laptop, get a standing-height table.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:49:33 PM PST
OK, here's an old-school solution for your current camera:

http://www.adorama.com/CZCRAS.html
Kaiser Strap-on Cable Release Adapter For Point and Shoot Cameras Without A Threaded Shutter Release Socket

http://www.adorama.com/CZCR40.html
Adorama 40" Standard Cable Release with Screw Lock for Long Exposure

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:24:32 AM PST
Thanks for the info!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:37:53 AM PST
Don't I wish! No laptop. And I can't get a standing height table. "Short" version of the issue -- we have a severely mentally impaired, 6' tall teenager. The area where I can shoot my pics is enclosed in a 4' high dog exercise pen (the highest size they make) to keep him away. If I get a higher table, he will be able to reach it, and literally flip the whole thing over (believe me, we tried). We don't have the space for a larger work area. And we won't put a computer out there (and I don't own a laptop) -- we once had a computer in that work space, babysitter forgot to lock one of the 3 locks anchoring the x-pen, he LIFTED the pen, crawled underneath, and had destroyed the computer in less than 5 minutes (she heard the crash of the monitor hitting the fireplace brick wall). Can't risk that again :-) So I guess I am stuck looking for an "old school" solution, or living with a sore neck :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:38:18 AM PST
Will check it out -- thanks!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Canon forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions