Customer Discussions > Car Electronics forum

Car stereo

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 31, 2013 4:28:00 PM PDT
Gina Hines says:
Does anyone know if the Pioneer deh2200 UB will fit into a toyota corolla 2005

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2013 12:06:30 AM PDT
So many good offerings out there at so many price points.
Generally speaking, you want:
A reputable brand with a good warranty.
A brand that rates its power output in CEA-2006 compliant standard, (RMS, not "max", "dynamic", "total", or other misleading terms)
One that offers flexibility if you decide to upgrade or take it to another vehicle later.

For the last reason you probably want a "4/3/2" channel amplifier, you can run it as a 2 channel now but if the bug bites you later for a subwoofer you can use the same amp. Trust me, if you're young and the car audio bug bites you you'll always want more. I use an 8 channel a/d/s P840 that's been in 3 cars over 16 years.

Couple of interesting amps on a budget:

Kenwood Kac-8405 720-Watt 4/3/2-Channel Amplifier with Variable LPF/HPF

Sony Xplod XM-GTX6040 600W 4/3-Channel Car Stereo Amplifier - Customize & Amplify Sound From Your Car's Audio System!

Both of those have speaker level inputs, which you need.

And don't forget to fuse the power wire at the battery.

Posted on Apr 11, 2013 8:43:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 11, 2013 8:44:30 PM PDT
campress says:
thanks for that info john. what amplifier would you recomend me for example, i am planing to buy Infinity Reference 6032cf 6.5-Inch 180-Watt High-Performance Two-Way Speakers (Pair) and a amplifier i would like to keep my head unit you think the hu will handle that and what amp i should buy.

i will realy apreciated your help

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2013 10:12:50 PM PDT
You'd probably be making a common mistake, unless your stock speakers are bad leave them alone.
Your head unit puts out like 4-8 watts per channel and most aftermarket speakers are designed for 20-50 watts and have more MM (spec for "moving mass" in speaker terminology) so won't put out as much sound at the lower power levels as your factory speakers can.
If you aren't willing to go with an outboard amp for the whole system and your factory speakers aren't falling apart due to age, you should consider an amplified sub that gets its inputs and turn on signal from the factory speaker wires. All you need to do to install it is run the power wire to the battery, a ground to the chassis, and tap into the nearest speaker wires.
It will do more than just give you bass- since it does provide much increased bass, you can turn down the bass you are now sending to your factory speakers and they will reproduce mid and hi frequencies much better and louder when they aren't playing low frequencies they weren't made for anyway.
So to reiterate, inspect your stock speakers to ensure their surrounds and cones are intact. If they aren't you should replace them with factory speakers or something very similar. If you replace them with expensive speakers rated for high power but use your factory head unit you will find they don't sound nearly as loud as the factory drivers.

Posted on Apr 8, 2013 7:57:38 PM PDT
campress says:
i want to improve my honda civic 2008 lx stereo, i am not sure how to do it for this reasons, the audio quality honestly is not so bad so i will like to know if i will notice a diference if i just change the speakers for ones that fitt in the same space i do not have too much money plus i will like to kepp the same head unit

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 4:31:40 PM PDT
Guys, almost all aftermarket head units are either DIN or double-DIN form factor. They're all the same size basically. Various manufacturers make mounting and trim kits, as well as wiring harness adapters, for virtually every car on the road- however for some vehicles the install and trim kit can almost approach the cost of many cheaper head units.
It depends on how integrated the factory stereo was stylewise with your dash. For instance the Chevy Aveo used a rather humble generic stereo probably shared across a few platforms, a trim kit is about $14. Stereo Install Dash Kit Chevy Aveo 06 2006 (car radio wiring installation parts) You'll still need a wiring harness adaptor.
Some vehicles have full style integration with its stereos, trim kits for those involve replacement of a lot of the dash and are a minimum of $40 and up.
Just put the year, make and model of your car in Amazon's search box and "stereo install kit" and/or "stereo wiring harness" (some install kits have the harness most do not) and you should see what you need.
NOTE: many of the install kits are rather generic in nature and may require resourcefulness on your part. The more years and models covered by a given kit the less likely it is it will be a perfect fit for your application.
If you don't have a lot of tools and aren't comfortable drilling or cutting holes in your car I strongly suggest purchasing locally and having it professionally installed. Most shops are pretty reasonably priced considering the cost of fixing what the amateur could probably screw up so... use your best judgement.
I used to compete in IASCA expert 601+ division, and have been around car stereo in one form or another since the early '80's and always did my own installs including one that would have invoiced around $50k had I found anyone crazy enough to do the work. If you are handy with tools you can do it. A good place to start is to buy a service manual for your car, especially one with wiring diagrams/schematics, starting around $20 at auto parts stores or here on Amazon.

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 3:48:00 PM PDT
if ya know where i can buy the power harness to a nesa nsd-807nb plz let me know thank u

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 12:51:25 PM PDT
Ericka says:
Want to know if a JVC Bluetooth In-Dash Digital Media Receiver with Dual USB Ports works on my 2006 Chevrolet Aveo and if there is any accessories that I may need for the instalation, thanks

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 8:56:54 PM PDT
Want to know if a Boss Audio 758DBI In-Dash Digital Media Receiver with Built-In iPod Docking Station will fit in a 1995 Honda Civic EX...considering buying this as a gift for friend, but don't want to get something that won't fit. Also, any advice given regarding wiring harness, speakers, and anything else I might need would be greatly appreciated.
Boss Audio 758DBI In-Dash Digital Media Receiver with Built-In iPod Docking Station

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 10:48:23 AM PST
emmanuel says:
go to metraonline.com the you wiill see all parts you need for your car,as our friend said,that radio will fit withthe correct dash kit and wiring harness,if need a installer hre i im,3475832847,or manuelxenon@hotmail.com

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 2:43:07 PM PST
Joseph F says:
yes with th e right mounting kit and wire harness

Initial post: Dec 13, 2012 9:46:03 AM PST
Will this Sony Cdx-gt550ui In-dash Car Cd/mp3/aac/ipod/usb Player Am/fm Receiver with Detachable Faceplate, Aux Input and Remote fit in my 2002 Nissan pathfinder?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Car Electronics forum (160 discussions)

ARRAY(0x9dd88570)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Car Electronics forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Dec 13, 2012
Latest post:  May 31, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions