Customer Discussions > Car Electronics forum

Trucker dash cam

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 1, 2013 11:16:00 AM PST
Okay, so my husband is an OTR driver, has been for some time. My kids and I thought it would be cool if we could have a live feed from his dash cam to our house. (The traffic cams are neat but only give us a fleeting glimpse of what he sees.) Can anyone give me the information that I need to make this happen? It would mean the world to my little girl and boy. Thanks to all who can contribute viewpoints, products, and expertise that my little family needs.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:00:43 PM PST
Relic 6000 says:
Wonderful idea for the kids (and you). Sorry but I have nothing specific as to your technical questions, just want to support your quest. Good luck.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 8:06:45 PM PST
ponygirl says:
If he has an iphone or ipad, and you have the same at home (or a Macbook or iMac at home), then he could facetime you guys at home, and then mount the iphone or ipad to the dashboard. He would need to enable the 3G/4G service on his device in order to facetime with you (facetime does not work with regular cellular service and he would not be able to use regular wifi while moving).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2013 5:53:10 PM PST
SilverGirl says:
What a cool idea. Sorry I can't help but like the other poster, I just wanted to support your quest.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 9:51:28 AM PDT
Wow, I am really touched at the support out there. Most people do not realize the sacrifice we make, not just to feed our family, but the rest of our nation also. My husband became an OTR driver to get the experience he needs to drive locally. Sadly, the economy in our country has seen these positions become fewer and fewer. Now he is stuck driving away from us for several days, sometimes weeks, at a time. It is really hard to raise a family that way, and keep everyone happy.
The dash cam would be a great way for us to communicate and be able to share in his experiences. He would not endanger himself or others by using his devices while driving. That is why I am looking for the solution in a remote connection, one he does not have to manage from his phone. I know it could double as "evidence" so I was hoping someone could explain the pitfalls of using such a device and how to avoid them.
Thanks to all who replied.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 9:46:53 AM PDT
Ginger says:
What about Skype on a laptop attached to the truck somewhere?

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 8:11:46 PM PDT
hooks says:
Skype is certainly an option if he has the time, data($), do do it while mobile. Look into a cheap small webcam, then setup a ustream account for his camera. When he's trucking, he can stream it. Just some ideas.

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 11:08:41 AM PDT
ponygirl says:
With using the iphone and Facetime, only he and your family will hear the conversation and see the video action. It is not recorded anywhere. If you do not want others to see and hear your conversation I would stay away from live streaming on the internet. All he needs is an iphone 4S or higher, a good data plan, and a way to mount the phone to the dashboard. It is very easy to manage with the phone. All you all need at the house is another iphone, an ipad, or some kind of Mac computer. This is very easy. I do this all the time with my sister. She is very busy and can only call me when she is driving her kids around. She usually has the camera pointed inward toward the inside of her car and I video chat with her and my nephew. If I wanted to see the "road view" all she would have to do is flip the camera around and we could still carry on a conversation but I would see the road instead of her, which sounds like what you want to do. I can't think of any pitfalls with this, other than the data usage. Just have a good data plan (check the coverage for the states that he frequently drives through. Some companies work better in some states than others. Currently I have 2 phones with 2 different plans as I am comparing AT&T with Verizon for the states that I drive in). I live very far away from my family and Facetime has been a lifesaver for me. I'll be happy to answer any other questions about this for you, and thank you to you and your family for the sacrifices that you make.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Car Electronics forum (194 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Car Electronics forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Mar 1, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions