Customer Discussions > Car Electronics forum

Subwoofer or tweeter?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 17, 2012 3:23:42 PM PDT
What is more important for my audio car system?

Posted on Aug 17, 2012 3:46:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 17, 2012 3:48:38 PM PDT
Moviegeek says:
A tweeter is a must but a subwoofer is optional, when I was younger(16-21) I would of said a subwoofer is mandatory. Four 6.5" woofers can put out good bass but if you want to be annoying and you drive a hoopty mobile then by all means get a subwoofer.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 12:30:24 PM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
No custom car audio system is complete without a fart cannon.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 9:08:00 PM PDT
Watcher says:
^ This made me laugh :) ^

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 10:14:33 AM PDT
JAY GRIF says:
If you want a system with good balanced sound then both a subwoofer & component speaker system(seperate woofers & tweeters) are necessary. 6.5's or 6 by 9's will not put out enough bass without sacrificing sound quality. You don't have to get a sub that's going to shake your whole car but a product like the infinity basslink will give you good bass without overpowering the rest of your music.

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 2:34:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 27, 2012 2:53:14 PM PDT
whooplash says:
A tweeter is definitely a must, a quality separate midbass/midrange, as well as a subwoofer for a rounded sound experience. I have all Cadence speakers hooked to my Kenwood 9990Hd/XR-4S/XR-1S. I have 6x9 midbass mounted in front doors and back panels, tweeter mounted on top front door and high above my seats in back, and Cadence 12" subs in boxes behind the seat. The separation is messages from the sonic gods. The Kenwood has a 13 band EQ so I can be mellow when needed and massage your whole body if necessary and appropriate. Heck...you will not even know it is a fart until too late! All this in a 2000 Ford Lightning...looks good, sounds fantastic. And fyi, I am 53 yrs old and can still out rock you kids! Amazon does carry Cadence speakers get the pro competition series you will not be disappointed.

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 11:13:59 AM PDT
At least learn about crossover freq. and how your system should be properly functioning as a "sum of all parts". Our ears respond to mid-range the most ("Fletcher Munson Curve"). Personally I like a 2 way. My woofer 28 Hz - 1.6 kHz 1.6 crossover. Tweeter 1.6kHz to (theoretically 22 kHz) Sounds balls! BTW amp headroom. When amps clip they can produce "square waves". Speakers fail often-times trying to reproduce square waves. (which can more closely resemble DC voltage and your voice coils can toast. Learn a smidge more and re-think your question. You'll understand it (sounds tech, it's not bad at all) and make some good choices. Don't forget that amplifier power and "headroom" thing. It's very important. Analogy. Think Corolla in 2rd,pedal flat, and red lined, vs Tundra in 2nd gear, simply cruising at the same speed. Pick up some bargains online - that's why we meet here right? - and happy trails. Thanks for reading, and Kia ora. GW

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 5:23:11 PM PST
Mike says:
What do you guys think of these videos?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_364608942_5?ie=UTF8&docId=1000824021&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1Z5QATJ11Z38Q4TPQFQN&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1413537262&pf_rd_i=5673951011

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 12:12:04 PM PST
Eli says:
Well said dad. Nothing like a system full of screeching highs with no mid or low end.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 7:42:39 PM PST
GraySiCK says:
I like how the word subwoofer is attributed to people "bumping" down the street, waking up the neighbors. If you don't have a subwoofer of some sort, you're missing part of the music. A 6.5" or 6x9" speaker doesn't have the surface area to accurately reproduce the lower-end frequencies of music.

As long as your subwoofer is tuned to an appropriate volume and frequency, you won't be getting complaints from the neighbors, and you can enjoy the full range of your music. I get compliments all the time on my subwoofer due to the fact that I don't turn it way up, I just use it to fill in the lower frequencies to get the full experience of the music
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Car Electronics forum (160 discussions)

ARRAY(0x9c03a024)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Car Electronics forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Aug 17, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions