Broderbund has another version out, which looks like more of the same, given the reviews: PrintMaster 2011 Platinum SB. There is also The Print Shop 2 for Mac which appears to have similar flaws.
It seems they jettisoned the proprietary format of their development for the software and are using a new platform (Java?) which runs exceedingly poorly.
We've investigated other titles, such as Print Explosion Deluxe 3.0 (Mac) - and while it looks better, it doesn't look good. Then there's Hallmark Card Studio for Mac, which looks like it won't fit the bill either.
There are online services which seem more promising (iLife online at Apple), but these are more for finished products, not unbounded creativity and experimentation. Here's what we need to be able to do (at a minimum):
1. Have software that is stable / doesn't crash, lose work.
2. Create a simple card with custom photo, text in no time flat.
3. Create more complex designs with not inordinately more effort.
4. Have some really good clip art and nice fonts and effects.
5. WYSIWYG. The print needs to look like it does on the screen. After all, this is a Mac!
6. Have other great printing features - not just cards.
BTW - thinking initially it was just the Mac that was the problem, we installed the same PrintMaster Platinum 2.0 on a clean Windows XP system (It was not yet available for Win 7). While it was more stable and ran somewhat faster, results were similar. In this case, it was not the OS that mattered, but the software.
We've asked around and so far it sounds like either we need to purchase a professional design suite or wait until someone fills the vacuum. We're not averse to paying for serious software if it will fit the bill.
Any recommendations? Thanks so much!