Customer Discussions > Cats forum

How to Help Cat Stop Bullying Other Cat in House

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 25, 2011 2:30:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2011 2:31:16 PM PDT
Lovely Peter says:
Do you have any tips or advice on how I can keep my 14 pound male cat named "Kitty" from bullying my 10 pound calico "Patches"? The calico is a former street cat that was harrassed and often beaten by the other cats and so she tends to be very timid. Kitty bites her and mercilessly pounces on her for amusement and power. Whenever she's around he makes little meow sounds to intimidate her. We have another calico and she's the youngest and the heaviest at 16 pounds but she is quite plucky and assertive, doesnt take his harrassments and gives quite alot back. Kitty is the oldest and Patches is the 'middle' one.

Posted on May 4, 2011 8:05:51 AM PDT
MissEm says:
not sure whether you can get it in the States, but there is a product called 'Feliway' that you can plug in and is supposed to help calm cats down, so that might help.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2011 2:06:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2011 2:06:58 PM PDT
Lovely Peter says:
Thanks MissEm and yes they have it in the states. I just didnt know if it would make the house smell unsavory?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 1:40:18 PM PST
Kay Smith says:
I'm using that product and it does not have an odor and does calm them but mine still bullies a little much smaller female, too.

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 7:56:15 PM PDT
K. Sheridan says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2012 1:35:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 29, 2012 1:36:46 PM PDT
E. Mitchell says:
Not funny. Sure hope you're not responsible for any animals.

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 6:47:32 PM PDT
Try playing with Kitty and getting him?her really tired. We love the da bird toy. Also give treats while they are together. Want kitty to associate good things when Patches is around. We have 2 cats that are brothers. One is very dominant and one very vocal whiner. Many times I thought the vocal one (jimini) was getting bullied but then he would chase his brother. Now we let them work it out, tire them out and neither one ever gets hurt. Feliway is good along with pheromone collar which we used when another one of our cats had a leg amputated and the other 2 thought he was a new alien cat. The only thing with pheromone collar is it cracks.
So we ended up returning it after a couple of days. From what I read on Amazon some crack and some don't. Read reviews on it. It is purple with white powder on it. Smelled good. Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2012 3:03:05 PM PDT
I've used Feliway all over my house and it has no smell what so ever to human noses. Only your cats can detect it. You will need to plug them in the room(s) where the bullying occurs most often. One Feliway does not cover the entire house, unfortunately. I ordered mine from Amazon because the local pet stores near me that sell it were way too expensive. The upside though is once you have the plug in devices, all you will need in the future is the refills. The Feliway also comes in a small spray bottle so you can spray it directly on their bedding and such, wherever they hang out most often. If the harrassing takes place near the feeding area, feed the calico in a closed room so she can eat in peace without fear of being picked on or having her meal poached.
As for K. Sheridan's remark, not only is your suggestion unhelpful, but some idiot who reads these posts might take it seriously.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 1:40:06 PM PDT
K. Sheridan says:
From a strictly objective point of view, it would solve the problem....BUT...I do have the responsibility of 2, count 'em, 2 cats. In fact, this very evening I have to do the switch from conventional clumping litter to dust-free. Oh, joy.

It was actually my idea though, as the damned dust coats EVERYTHING in the room where the poo-box is. And in the adjacent hallway, too. It would be easier and more profitable to sell them both to the drug testing lab but my wife would shoot ME. So, off to the land of turds and hairballs (and cat puke on the hardwood floors).

The cats are nowhere near the age to expect them to die soon, so it is what it is. I even brush the little vomit-factories.

Posted on May 2, 2012 2:12:09 PM PDT
K. Sheridan,
Seriously, you are not the least bit helpful. I suspect you are just starved for attention.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 12:43:05 AM PDT
cheryl June says:
no we don't hurt any kitty, we'd rather rehome the naughty cat at the last resourt if we have to
Your reply to cheryl June's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 2:06:36 AM PDT
Lilith says:
K. Sheridan, seriously, why aren't you on the 'Keeping cats indoors is Cruel' forum?

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 1:18:15 PM PDT
Peridot says:
Troll calling to another troll. Classic.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cats forum (230 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cats forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Apr 25, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions